All reviews other guests sage pam hostess house
Reviewed 24 July 2017

We loved this slightly old and eccentric but clean, comfortable and affordable B&B. The location cannot be beat, an easy stroll to the beach, or to shops. The room was large and well furnished; the private bath was next door and was fine. The hostess is warm and very hospitable. The house is c 1880 and full of charm; there is not much modern in it, but its decor and quirks (the doors have no locks) made the weekend seem like we were staying in the real Narragansett. There is a large and beautiful (and private) garden and sitting areas.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2016

Pam and her mom and Sage all make you feel like this is your home. They've been there since 1963. You get a nice room filled with antiques and knick knacks they've collected over years. A living room outside of your room for guests to sit in. You get breakfast 8:30 to 9:30 which includes fresh fruit, baked goods, and main dish. The croissant french toast and frittata my faves. There is a porch to hang out on and small refrigerator for you to put your own drinks in. It's very relaxing. Pam knows area so well and makes suggestions what to do, etc. The beach is a block away. It's a great place to be if you go to Narragansett!

Stayed: July 2016
Reviewed 17 August 2015

We came from Connecticut my wife and I, and we stayed for two nights. The place was very cozy and it looks like an antique place, this is a B & B that you feel home, quite and a great service from Pam. Breakfast was delightful .

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2015

Pam and her Mom are the most genuine people I know. Their bed and breakfast is immacualte and they have the best breakfast in town. The rooms are extremely well kept and the atmosphere is very inviting and warm.

Thank you Pam for all your hospitality over the years, we have been coming for seven years now!!

Sally Schneider and Danny Davis

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2015

I've just booked my 10th visit to Cottle's Seafield Cottage. I return for a week each September to mornings that begin with Belgian waffles, stuffed French toast, savory frittatas and scones prepared by the deft hands of the hostess, Pam Cottle. The smell of coffee and a salivating curiosity draw me from my comfortable bed. Which seasonal fruit has she chosen for this morning's scones - red raspberries, blueberries or apples picked from their own tree?

Steaming cup in hand, I walk the garden path lined with hosta and arched blooming hydrangeas to Boon Street. Rounding the corner, I say, "good morning", to the
Atlantic Ocean. Brilliant, New England blue. One block to the seawall that edges the panorama of the Atlantic. A few walkers, joggers, young families with strollers and some folks just sitting on the wall, gazing out to sea. Morning begins quietly with the scents and sounds of the sea. I breathe deeply and listen softly.

The scones call me back to a table formally set with chargers, china and stemware. Breakfast is graciously served with casual conversation - the history of the late 1800's family home is my favorite. Warm, delightfully, engaging ... Pam. Quiet guests are as comfortable as the more loquacious ones. Most linger at the table sharing plans for the day and offering up tips on neighborhood restaurants and local excursions. (Why anyone would want to get in a car or go anyplace else eludes me.)

Time for the main activity of the day: Narragansett's white sand beach. I tuck my arms through the shoulder straps of my backpack and head out on foot. (In September the tourists have gone home. No beach or parking fees. A chance for solitude. The pavilion remains open with bathrooms and snack bar hours. Best to verify specifics with the beach manager via the Narragansett Town Beach website. Also, a great opportunity to view photos of the spectacular beach.)

Time for the big decision of the day: where to put the beach blanket. I choose the more northerly section. Quiet and away from the surfers, waiting to catch a wave. Summer life guards have gone back to college, but swimming is sublime. Tidal pools left by the outgoing tide are favorite places for toddlers. All smoking is strictly forbidden. There are rules for dogs. Staff and beachgoers provide enforcement.

It's hard to pull myself away, but after a few hours of sun I'm ready for the cool shade of the "cottage" porch. "Cottage" is a funny word. A misnomer to describe spacious beach homes built in the late 19th century in Narragansett and nearby Newport. The long "cottage" porch parallels the private yard nestled into a canopy of leafy trees. Cushioned wicker furniture and a fridge for guests make for a perfect lunch retreat. A block south of the B&B, Markos offers generous and expertly-prepared chicken-falafel wraps and Greek salads that are big enough to share, leaving room for a piece of flaky baklava. For those willing to get into their cars, the privately-owned Belmont Market in Wakefield offers excellent alfresco choices; much like Whole Foods. Guests needing a seafood fix can visit Monahan's Seafood and Clam Shack, a few minutes walk down Ocean Road. Outdoor tables overlook the water.

Deferring a nap, I head back to the beach with a backpack restocked with cold drinks, a snack and a still unread book. I'll swim and walk the beach next to protected dunes, waiting for the sky to take on the colors of sunset. Electric pink, coral, plum. Surreal as they hover over a sparkling sea.

The Matunuck Oyster Bar beckons. Just-pulled from the ocean seafood. Locally-grown produce and home-baked desserts. (This requires a car.) I force myself to find the energy to get into a hot, steaming shower. I have good intentions with a bag of makeup, but it never leaves my suitcase. Casual attire is expected.

A selection of walk-to restaurants allows for exploring Narragansett and watching the moon rise over the Atlantic. The neighborhood is historic and eclectic. "Cottages". Constellations light the sky.

The day ends as gently as it began. Stained glass windows glow, suffusing the enormous foyer and winding stairs with light, as they have for more than a century.

One last decision remains: to leave the windows open or closed against the cooling coastal air. Two closed. One open. It looks out into a giant apple tree. I'll fall asleep to the scent of fat red apples ripening. On each visit Pam reminds me of the armoire filled with fluffy duvets. Her mom urges the use of the electric fireplace. I've never needed either.

From other guests I know that there is a different Narragansett. One that stays up past ten o'clock. Having lived in Rhode Island for two decades before being transplanted to the mountains of Colorado, I can most heartily recommend the state as a vacation destination.

Online, I see that this year a weekly rental of the entire Seafield Cottage is possible. I can imagine the reunion of family and friends in this lovely location. Or, weddings near the sea.

I hope I don't regret sharing all of this. It's a bit like explaining something sacred. Truthfully, readers, I don't want to see you there in September.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends