All reviews lavender suite breakfast was delicious private bathroom short drive scarborough beach newport
Reviewed 14 June 2016

This is the place to go if you are looking for a peaceful, romantic setting. Nestled in the woods off a quiet dead-end road, the 1880's era house has been beautifully maintained by Steve and Nancy Richards. We stayed in the Lavender Suite which was very spacious and overlooks the front and garden side of the house. The bed was very plush and the bathroom was clean and a decent size. There is also a second room off the bathroom with sofa chairs & another bed. Great for a couple of kids if you are unfortunate enough to get stuck bringing them. The grounds are well manicured and there is a trail in the back that leads down to the ocean (about a half mile walk).

Nancy and Steve are great people and treated us like family. Breakfast is at 8:45 in the morning and Nancy's cooking is outstanding! If you have the time, they are also a wealth of knowledge on the history of area. Only wish we had more time to hear their stories.

Overall, I highly recommend staying here. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Lavender Suite is very spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank washington736
Reviewed 31 May 2016

Between the stunning house and grounds, Steven and Nancy's hospitality, and the ideal location, you can't go wrong here. Our hosts were so helpful, kind, and entertaining we really felt like part of the family. The house is perfectly decorated, with beautiful antiques everywhere you look and the gardens are gorgeous. The house is located within walking distance of the beach and downtown Narragansett. I highly recommend this B&B and plan on returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2015

The house is huge, historically listed and beautiful - we felt very private even though 3 of the 4 bedrooms were occupied. We also had the run of the house and garden which made for a unique experience. The garden is spectacular and is part of the local "garden tour" event - we were able to enjoy it for free - Nancy even potted up a plant for me to take home. The ocean is a pleasant 10 minute walk through the woods. The breakfast is delicious and different every day with good, strong coffee and pretty much every tea known to man and the owners join the guests and provide hints on where to go and what restaurants are good in the area - they didn't steer us wrong. The hot water situation in the bathroom is somewhat mysterious - hot, then cool, then hot again but the plumbing is probably ancient and it didn't detract from our wonderful stay. We stayed while we were playing a tennis tournament at Point Judith which is less than 5 minutes away. I hope they have room for us next year when we play the same tournament.

Room Tip: We loved our "blue room" - private bath with separate shower and tub
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Suzicle
Reviewed 23 September 2015

My husband and I decided to take a last minute vacation to narragansett. We were able to book two nights at the Richards House. Soon after arriving we went out into the gardens with wine we brought with us. It was probably the most peaceful, enjoyable experience I've had in a while.. the grounds are gorgeous. The house and furnishings were meticulous and tastefully done. The food was nicely presented at 8:45 each morning.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2015

I was in need of some serious R&R, after a difficult personal experience and before I returned to my high stress job of teaching elementary special education. I found just what I needed at The Richards.
Nancy and Steven were welcoming, fun, personable and understand the right amount of input. The historic house has gorgeous gardens, interesting collectibles and beautifully upholstered antique furniture. The highlight of each day's stay was breakfast, served promptly at 8:45. Nancy's cooking is imaginative, varied, and balanced; all baked goods from scratch (muffins, pancakes, johnny cakes, waffles) and all seasoned with fresh herbs from the backyard garden.
After a filling, but not too heavy morning meal, we set out to bike the 7 mile bike trail, located an easy distance from the magnificent castle. There are several excellent restaurants within walking distance, as well as shops, the library and a yoga studio.
I would readily spend another week at this fine bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple