All reviews beach bar fire pit the owner private beach several years would stay again no frills can't wait to go back within walking distance ocean view stephanie summer lock
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

We originally were booked for two rooms. Both rooms were those that had not yet been renovated. We would have made due.....even though the rooms were quite dated. Luckily for us, Stephanie at the beach bar, suggested we relocate to a two bedroom apartment in the motel. This was fantastic as the apartment had been renovated and also had a living room, dining and kitchen area. It was clean and nicely repainted. It did lack a coffee maker which was a pain but had all other amenities.

Stephanie at the beach bar was very friendly and efficient and made us feel super welcome and comfortable!

This is not a fancy place but it is in a great location and is reasonable.

Stayed: September 2016
3  Thank jacquelinec2972
Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

Couldn't get a room in our usual place in Misquamicut but had high hopes for this motel. The website boasted that they were on Hotel Impossible. After watching the episode on YouTube, I was a little skeptical. And grossed out. I hoped they made a
complete turnaround -- not yet. The location is wonderful. Full view of the ocean--can't take that away. The welcome is not very .. Signs about what you can't do everywhere. Front desk personnel less than enthusiastic. They assured us that even though our room was not renovated yet that our mattresses were new. I immediately checked them and seemed to be okay. But the room is extremely tired--furniture worn, drawers (only two) and one was broken. Bathroom vanity was peeling and table had cardboard from a case of beer folded up under one leg so it would t rock. Nice roomy fridge though. The owner needs a lesson in customer service. (I only knew it was him because of seeing him on the episode) Unfortunately he was more interested in trying to pick up a bikini clad blonde than in welcoming guests or ensuring people were happy. The one bright light, and only person who asked us over three days if we were enjoying our stay, was the young man who was in charge of cleaning up the beach (of the hundreds of cigarette butts) monitoring the parking lot, and putting logs on the fire (a nice touch Sat night) The beach bar looked good -- the show redid it -- but it was open for Way too many hours to be profitable and the music track repeated over and over. Argh!! There are so many little things and several big things that could improve this place. Everyone seemed to smoke too. The balconies, the beach, the bar--no escaping it. Gross. We will be heading back to our regular spot next year.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

We stayed in the apartment room with our 2 young children for a long weekend. The location was great. It is right on the beach and the hotel provides a deck on the beach w chairs and a bar. The rooms have recently been upgraded n was clean n nicely decorated. We had a minor issue during our stay but the staff was very helpful n friendly and took care of it right away. My biggest concern which really is minor is that there is only one small mirror in the entire place that is above the sink in the bathroom n being that I am quite short I could not even see my entire face in it. It would be nice if they added a full length mirror in one of the bedrooms. Overall a nice place and we will b returning.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank amanda g
sandyshore1212, Front Office Manager at Sandy Shore Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

Thank you Amanda for the helpful suggestion. We are glad that you and your family had a good time and were happy with your stay. I do agree that a mirror in one of the bedrooms would be nice to have. I am going to talk to the owner about it.

Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

We only stayed one night as this was a spur of the moment visit to the beach to watch/see surf due to Hurricane Hermine.

Staff was very accommodating, and room was clean. In fact after checking out we were able to stay a few more hours to watch the surf.....which was incredible.

I only gave an average rating due to our room was a tad dated. No microwave or alarm clock or a coffee pot which surprised me. I would go back as I did appreciate the staff being kind and helpful.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbie S

Thank you for your review Debbie! We are working on updating all of the rooms. We did renovate some but not all. This off-season we plan on getting the rest of the rooms done. Thanks for choosing to stay at the Sandy Shore Motel and we hope to see you next season.

Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

So I had high hopes, always saw it when I went to the state beach. Based on some reviews I thought, I'll do it! Somewhere I even saw it said there were newly remodeled rooms, so I expected much more than I got. I stayed in one of the apartments, as I was staying a few nights. The room was serviceable, but clearly had not been remodeled since 1974. The furniture was dreadful; like I said-out of 1974 and seriously, it looked and felt like it. The bedroom was ok if not for the little stupid tv and the bedspread which looked like-wait for it-1974. The kitchen table was stained, the fridge handles were sticky. Ick. The bathroom was ok. The room wasn't dirty, just, if this is newly remodeled I'd hate to see what the unremodeled rooms looked like. Btw, mine looked NOTHING like the pictures on the website. Ugh! Now I realize and it's a lot of college kids stay here during the summer, and maybe they don't care, but I paid a lot of money and I'm older than them and I do care, this is just letting the room go to rot. I will say that to go to sleep and wake up to the ocean was nice, staff tried, and the beach right there was convenient and pleasant. Plus the bar music ended at a reasonable hour. I realize I paid to be right on the ocean, but, no.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank jmzinct
sandyshore1212, Front Office Manager at Sandy Shore Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2016

I am very sorry that you did not like your apartment. I wish I could show you one of the 9 rooms/apartments that we did renovate because I think you would have been pleasantly surprised. We are in the process of renovating all of the rooms. Unfortunately we can not have construction going on in the middle of the season. This fall we are working on the remaining rooms and hope you will give us another chance. We try very hard to please all of our guests and hope they have a wonderful stay. I am glad that you brought the (1974) thing to my attention because yes some of the comforters do look that way but trust me they are new just retro designs I guess :) hey some people like that!! Thank you for taking the time to write a review we do appreciate all feedback.