All reviews beach bar fire pit the owner private beach several years would stay again no frills can't wait to go back within walking distance ocean view stephanie summer lock
Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

This hotel was not worth almost $1000 for two nights. Our room was clean enough, but that was the only positive. Parking is free, but you'll be hard-pressed to actually FIND a spot in their lot.

On our last night, somehow both of our room keys were inactivated, which proved very inconvenient. Initially, the bartender whom we asked for help told us that "everyone is already sleeping" and she "just works at the bar." My boyfriend asked if there was anyone at all she can call, to which she replied, "Call 911." VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. The owner ended up rectifying the situation and was very nice about it; however, we will not be coming back and will certainly not recommend this place to anyone.

I was optimistic about this place, but it was a disappointing stay.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tagadidto
sandyshore1212, Front Office Manager at Sandy Shore Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2016

I am so very sorry that you had to deal with such unprofessionalism. I am appalled by the bartenders response. I just want to let you know that I appreciate your response and the only thing the motel can do is improve by responses like yours so thank you

Reviewed 6 August 2016

This trip was taken with myself, my husband and our 1 year old son. Our first impression of the motel upon parking was so-so. Someone greeted us right away to get us a parking pass which was good. We got our key and got to our room. We had a queen bed room which was extremely small. We had a pack and play for our son which was definitely not going to fit anywhere. I went to the office and asked for a bigger room which the receptionist was very nice about and offered us another room with 2 full beds. Not ideal but it worked and we had plenty more space. Both rooms were not very clean. Tile floors with dirty grout, mediocre at best bathroom, furniture was scraped and dented, light coming though the bottom of our door. I didn't really want to let my son crawl around but hes 1 so..

Anyway, after putting our son to bed we sat out on the deck. Within an hour of him sleeping soundly a bunch of drunk guys started yelling and woke him up. There was another group of loud woman returning to their room earlier too that fortunately didn't wake him. We were not happy.

Our full day there on the beach was very nice. The best part about this place is the private beach, although kind of rocky it was nice to not have a hundred people around you. We were able to let our son crawl around and play in the sand happily.

We had 2 nights at this motel and only stayed one, which is unfortunate because its a bit pricey for the accommodations. If it was just my husband and I and it was maybe 5 years ago, it would have been ok. But, for a family with a young child this is not the place for you. Good place for young friends or a young couple wanting to have some drinks and have a good time.

ps. also realized afterwards that this motel was on Hotel Impossible..

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Jrax383

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We try to accommodate in any way that we can to make our guests happy. We appreciate your feedback and it will defiantly help us to improve. Thank you

Reviewed 3 August 2016

We have been going to Sandy Shore for several years because of the location, private parking, private beach and most important the employees. When we checked in they told us that they had given us one of the updated king rooms. The room was fantastic. It had a small fridge and a microwave. I have to say that the room was one of the cleanest rooms I have been in. It was stocked with plenty of bath towels and there was even 2 beach towels. We have always enjoyed the bar on the beach but I was surprised that there was no Crown Royal. That problem was taken care of by Gene(owner) that evening. He made a special trip to purchase Crown Royal for the bar. Come lunchtime you did not have to go far because Sue was right next to the bar everyday preparing burgers, hot dogs and her famous monster burger. Stephanie at the bar took care of us for 4 days making sure our drinks were never empty. We stayed for 4 days and by the time we left we felt like family. We have stayed at other motels on the beach but none have the hospitality of Sandy Shore.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill53
sandyshore1212, Front Office Manager at Sandy Shore Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2016

Thank you so much for your kind words. We love our guests, and that is why we try to accommodate in whatever way we can. Our goal is to make sure you have a great stay and most important a clean room. We love to see our guests come back year after year.

Reviewed 18 July 2016

went with another couple. Check in was seem less. Parking right on the beach. A great value when you see that lots were charging as much as $40 for parking. The lock on our room door was not working correctly, they had it fixed in 15 minutes. Room was good and very clean, bathroom very large. Apparently a recent upgrade including new decking stairs and other items. Beach bar on the property was wonderful. The owner, Geno was there and socializing with everyone. At night had a bon fire on the beach. This place is wonderful and will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: all rooms have views of the ocean
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dave C

Thank you for writing a review. We care a great deal about our guests, and love to hear feedback. Our staff really enjoys seeing guests come back year after year. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 July 2016

I made reservations at the Sandy Shore many months ago. Prior to leaving on our trip, something made me take a look at the TripAdvisor reviews on this motel. Yikes, there were some very unhappy, hard to please people. I'm happy to say that our stay was perfectly wonderful. We were given Room # 1, and we were pleased. Indeed, the entire property was freshly painted and exceptionally clean. Was it that huge Victorian era luxury hotel on the beach in Watch Hill.....no. But if you want that kind of luxury you have to pay $800-$900/night. Our granddaughter loved the private beach (it is open only to motel guests), and the beach front bar was great. To previous guests I'd advise them to try the Sandy Shore again. You might be surprised. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Room 1 was perfect for a small family.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank mascara1948

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review. You are absolutely correct in saying that we are not a big fancy motel. We are however a motel that pays a great deal of attention to our guests and their rooms to make sure their stay is a comfortable care free one. This is why our motto is, "come and stay as our guests and leave as our friends."