“FIRST STAY AT HOTEL” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Watertown, New York
“FIRST STAY AT HOTEL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

It was my first time staying at this hotel.
We had a wonderful time and enjoyed the jacuzzi as well as the restaurants and the live entertainment at the bar. The casino was within a mile or tow from the hotel.
They offer a shuttle service to and from the casino.
The rooms were very nice. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a balcony room on the stream side Very nice and peaceful
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Highspire, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I've come to expect certain services and room conditions out of different locations. I stayed at the Woodlands for the first time on Saturday March 10th for 1 night. I was greeted by a professional front desk staff who was eager to check me in. I was given a room on the second floor with 2 double beds. The key system needs to be updated. Sometimes the key worked other times you had to stand there and slide it in and out, 10 or so times for the green light to come on. I found the rooms to be very small. The bathroom is extreamly small, and the odd shape walk in shower was more of a pain then anything else. Also there's no happy medium when it come to water. It's Hot or its cold, no in between. I did like the fact that the room has a Keurig coffee machine. And a flat screen Tv. The sheets on the beds are flat sheets. Where's the fitted sheets?? and the sheets were not soft at all, they felt more like sand paper. I used the large hot tub in the hotel, It was nice. and they have a nice pool too. I used the free shuttle which was very handy. Over all it was a cute hotel, but it could use some more updating. It's suspose to be an Ascend collection property, I just didn't feel like I got more for my money... I felt like I got less. I've stayed at nicer Sleep inns and Comfort Suites. But all in all I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hop Bottom, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My fave getaways friendly staff great location love the hot tub indoor pool was t little chilly last I was there was like they put the heat on for indoor in summer n off on winter should be other way round n i used da weight room most every day was there had to ask maid for water bottles because there was no water in cooler when telling manager he asked us y we didn't bring our own water weird but will always stay here love it too much to stay away loved da shuttle to da casino

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Piazza1331
Duxbury, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We occupied 3 rooms for 2 nights to attend a family funeral. First night was uneventful. Starting at 10 pm on second night, many young drunken people started coming from the hotel bars, yelling, swearing down the main corridor by our rooms towards the lobby. I repeatedly asked them to please quiet down, but only received ominous stares and remarks in a foreign language. As this chaos continued, I went to the front desk at 11:30 and again at 2 am, lodging complaints and requested police and/or hotel security assistance. While standing in the lobby with one of the hotel security personnel and within earshot of the night manager, I was asked by one drunk person of the location of the room I was staying in. I asked the security person, "Who is this guy?", and he quickly replied that he was a "guest". When I angrily pointed down the hall to where my wife was standing outside our room, the drunk stated to me that "it sucked to be you staying in that room". Neither the security person nor the manager challenged this statement. I later found out that the numerous young drunks staying at (and seemingly in charge of) the hotel, were members of an ice capades-type show that were performing in Wilkes-Barre and they liked to "unwind" in the bars after their nightly performance. After complaining to the owner in a factual letter about the nights ordeal, he offered free lodging for a future visit. As all of our party were deprived of a reasonable nights sleep (along with others along that corridor), I asked to be fully reimbursed for that one night for all 3 rooms. To the hotels credit, they agreed that the ordeal we endured that night was unacceptable and fully reimbursed me.

Room Tip: Request a room as far away as possible from any performing group that is staying long-term at the ho...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tom E
Middletown, DE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I've stayed at "The Woods" for several years and have always had a great experience. We've recently taken the kids to nearby skiing/tubing and returned to the hotel to enjoy the indoor pool and Jacuzzi tub afterwards. And what a great treat to take them to the Shogun Japanese restaurant on the 1st floor which is always consistently excellent. We stayed in the "tower rooms" and they were BEAUTIFUL! The room was in excellent condition and spotless - housekeeping does an awesome job; it was so clean.

I've also stayed for GNO last summer!! It's a convenient location to meet the old college girlfriends as it's centrally located because we live in DE, PA and NJ. It's a short trip for all. The shuttle is so convenient for visiting the Mohegan Sun Casino. We had "Streamside Rooms" which have a balcony overlooking a breathtaking stream. We also had massages in an outside tent from Alexander's Spa located at The Woods. It was pure heaven.

We're planning springtime GNO and can't wait!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family