“Secluded Luxury”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
LarryB483...
West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Sleeping Arrangements for Large Groups Are Inadequate; Very Poor Internet; No Trout”
Reviewed 17 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017
person found this review helpful

The very positive reviews about the beauty and condition of this cabin are true. There are, however, some negatives that need to be highlighted. I was with a group of friends (11 total) from various locales for an annual weekend recreational trip. While the listing says the cabin sleeps 15, it does not do so adequately.

There are three bedrooms in the main cabin. One has a double bed; the other 2 each have 2 bunk beds in very small rooms. In one of the rooms, the upper bunk on one side is too small for anyone other than a small child. There are 2 bathrooms in the main cabin, both downstairs with entrance from/to the living room. Getting to them from upstairs requires descending a circular staircase that empties into the living room. Modesty and privacy issues abound.
In the adjacent small cabin, there is a bathroom and one double bed on the lower floor. There is a loft that is accessed by a ~10 foot vertical ladder. There are 4 twin mattresses laying on the loft floor, parallel to each other and only a few inches apart. Due to floor space constraints, there is no furniture in the loft and there is very little room for any luggage or personal belongings. Due to the angled roof, a tall person (over 6 feet) cannot stand in the loft to dress. There is a small amount of standing room for people under 6 feet at the foot of each mattress, near the railing of the loft. For the people in the middle two mattresses, standing at the end of the mattress places you perilously close to the blades of a ceiling fan. Going to the bathroom in the middle of night requires navigating around mattresses. a rotating ceiling fan and luggage, and then negotiating a vertical ladder.

For those to whom this matters, there is no cell service and the internet was virtually useless to us. There was a very small "downloaded data" limit that was reached within minutes of use by any of the 11 of us. One person who made a few minute video call with his wife in the early morning used up the daily limit for all of us. There is a house phone that works fine.

There were no fish in the stream on the weekend we were there.

I strongly recommend that you request pictures of the bedrooms before booking so you can determine whether the sleeping arrangements suit you. You also have to be willing to accept using the circular staircase (main cabin) or ladder (guest cabin) to go to the bathroom.

I am checking the "no" box on recommending to a friend but if the above conditions are acceptable, this is a very nice cabin and I would check "yes."

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
18 Sep 2017
I'm sorry that this guest's experience was not up to his expectations. This is a good example of the importance of good communication between guest and host and between guest and other members of his party.

In this case, the guest mentioned in his initial inquiry that his party consisted of people 60+. In my reply, I specifically mentioned the upstairs bedrooms in the main cabin, the downstairs bathrooms, and the spiral staircase. He replied that they were spry enough to handle the staircase.

I didn't mention the loft mattresses in the guest cabin because he reserved for a party of 9, not 11. Whenever I get a request for at least 10 adults, I provide a very detailed list of the sleeping accommodations to make sure it will work for them. Under 10, it's generally not a problem, because we have a king bed, two queen beds (not doubles), two double bunks, and two twin bunks that can sleep an adult apiece. (One twin is shortened and only accommodates a child.)

The guest indicated he was going to email me closer to the date with additional questions, but that didn't happen. Perhaps if it did, some of these expectations could have been made more realistic. Before that time, though, I provided not just the detailed description from the website, but also an emailed welcome packet with additional detail and an addendum to the contract with yet another restatement of important information, as well as a list of nearby amenities.

There is no question in my mind that groups of more than 10 adults should consider renting a larger facility. We have a log cabin (with a small guest cabin and a soon-to-be completed game room), not a log lodge. Sometimes large groups want to stay with us because our property is a fraction of the cost of renting a lodge. For this group, the cost of $20.18 per night per person was obviously way less than alternate accommodations, even ones not nearly as nice as ours. We occasionally do have these very large groups, and after I explain the constraints, they come and they are happy -- having the proper expectations.

Otherwise, the property does accommodate up to 15 guests, but at those numbers, we expect that some of the party are children. The bunk room and the guest cabin loft are normally used by kids, not adults, and kids love them. The property was built with my extended family, that includes a lot of kids, in mind. We also built the first-floor bedroom in the guest cabin and the boardwalk linking the cabins with the parking lot for our elderly mom, because there are no steps to negotiate.

Regarding Internet, I'm very explicit in all the materials that we are in a very rural area, outside cellular phone range and reliant exclusively upon satellite Internet, TV and phone service. Satellite phone and TV work very much like other sources, but Internet is not unlimited. I spend a lot of money on Internet service, but it's still necessary to meter it on a daily basis. In at least two places I indicate that Internet streaming (like the guest's video call to his wife) are not permitted, in order to preserve data for email and Web surfing, the things that are most essential for guests during their stay. I also recommend that guests turn off automatic updating on their phones, which can eat up a huge amount of data in a short period of time. With these measures, I get very few complaints about Internet service.

Regarding fishing, a few days ago an upcoming guest asked about fishing, and I told her that fall is the low point for trout fishing in the stream. The two streams are stocked twice in the spring, and even during the summer, as the water levels drop during the dry season, trout will congregate in the three deep pools on our property. By fall, though, the fish population inevitably tapers off. That said, people's results will vary. I've caught multiple trout in the stream in October. On the other hand, last summer during a visit, my daughter caught 8 trout in 24 hours, whereas my nephew and I only caught 1 apiece, and my son was shut out. I've learned to swallow my masculine pride and admit that my teenage daughter is simply a better angler than I am! In any case, the guest making the reservation indicated that this was a golf and hiking outing, not mentioning fishing at all, so I didn't think to give a long explanation about fishing prospects.

I hope this very detailed response helps others to determine whether our property is right for their group. We have at least 4.8 stars out of 5 average ratings on the three largest vacation rental sites, so it almost always is a good match. Good communication will help ensure that there are no more disappointed visitors, like this guest, and I'll redouble my own efforts to that end.
Brandon M
“Secluded Luxury”
Reviewed 3 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017

The Pennsylvania Trout House is one of the most luxurious stays you can get and in a wonderful location. It's Serene, Secluded, and very relaxing, with every amenity we'd ever need.

Your age range 18-24
Reviewed 16 May 2017 for a stay in May 2017

Katelyn B
“An overall excellent stay”
Reviewed 6 July 2016 for a stay in June 2016

The Trouthouse is a well maintained, quiet, gorgeous place for the perfect getaway. I rented this cabin with a group of 12 (including 5 kids) and was not disappointed. There's plenty of space! The upstairs bedrooms and the guest cabin were perfect for sleeping and we loved the updated bathrooms. The porch looking out over the trout stream was the perfect hangout spot and there's a grill included which makes for perfect grilling! The kitchen was lovely but if you're into cooking, the selection of spices isn't that great so make sure your own if you want something beyond salt and pepper and some random other spices; there wasn't any cinnamon, parsley, or other spices I consider staples.

This is definitely the place you need to go if you want to unplug. There is no cell phone service and, of note, there was also stable internet. We were not able to access this for more than a few minutes a day (maybe due to the large group we had). It was not a barrier to having a great time, though! There's a lot of outdoor space and parks around, plus Oil Creek State Park was a blast for the kids. They have a great playground!

Overall, we had a great stay. Chris was extremely responsive to any trouble we had and everything worked out perfectly. Don't miss out on this gem, it's the best of all worlds!

Travelling group: Large Group
Steve M
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Awesome stay!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

We stayed for a week on this beautiful property. With 5 of us traveling, the Trout House was definitely more comfortable and relaxing than any motel could possibly be. Fully furnished with everything needed, it was absolutely as advertised, and then some. If traveling back to the area again, this will be the first choice of stay. Can't recommend highly enough.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The peace and quiet.
Liked least: Water pressure was tough for girls with longer hair to rinse shampoo.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing