All reviewswhite housemilk the cowswagon ridethe main housethe barneggsbaby goatsbottle feedingchicken cooplots of funyear old daughtermorning choresother guestsbeef sausagetour guidewonderful hostshands on activities
Reviewed 13 September 2017

I needed to get away for a few days and figured some time on a farm would probably provide the grounding and fun recharge that I was looking for. Verdant View Farm far surpassed all my expectations! From the first moment I arrived I received warm hospitality. The farm staff welcomed me and after a good night's sleep I woke to do morning farm chores and join the other guests for breakfast together on the veranda. Meeting others from around the country and having a family style breakfast complete with dessert was one of the highlights of my day. The farm is clean and well organized in a way that allows guests to enjoy farm work and values while being immersed in the beauty of God's creation. I was impressed by how hands-on we were able to be around the farm from feeding the calves to collecting eggs. By the end of my three days I felt like I was part of the farm family. I left feeling renewed and ready to face the world anew.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Erika Leigh K
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Went to this farm with a group of 10 to do a tour and ice cream making. The ice cream making is as you can imagine, kids putting ingredients into a mixer one by one, and then they don't actually eat the ice cream they make, but out of a pre-made jar. That's followed by two hours or walking into different buildings around the farm,and learning about the history of the farm, whilst standing in a building that smells like feces and manure. Totally uneducational, and could be easily completed within 30 minutes instead of 2 hours. The ride around the farm is literally up one hill (2 minutes) followed by long winded speech about farming corn and other crops for 20 minutes, and then returning back to parking area. Totally not worth it with little kids, they are bored out of their minds during all this.

DO NOT recommend. Not worth $25 a person.

Recommend that the farm invest in some people to talk about interesting farm related topics outside, speed things up, and charge less. I've been to about 10 different farms with my kids and this is by far the worst (PA and NY area).

1  Thank Tamara S
VerdantViewFarm, Owner at Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Thank you for bringing up several points that we like to address during our tours and workshops. I'm happy to clarify a few points -

a. We serve our own homemade ice cream. The ice cream takes time to freeze, and since we value your time, we don't ask our customers to wait 40 minutes while the machine is working. Instead, we explain on our website and in person that we serve ice cream made from a previous workshop. It's always made in small batches during a workshop (even if it's stored and frozen in a food-grade container).

b. The purpose of our guided tours is to be educational. There's much to learn when you consider the cows, calves, bunnies, goats, pigs, chickens, barn construction, history of 4 generations on our family farm, and crops. If a guest prefers to hang back and listen, that's fine. If a guest asks 50 questions, that's fine. Our tour guides share information, answer questions, and encourage participation from anyone that's willing to milk a cow, feed a calf, play with the goats, collect eggs, etc. With all of that, I'm sorry that you didn't feel that our working farm is educational enough. My husband, a PhD who teaches full-time at a nearby university, and I operate the farm with a desire to make it an authentic, educational opportunity for people of all ages and backgrounds.

c. Thank you for sharing your opinion about the duration of the tour. We previously offered a 1-hour tour, but many of the families shared that they preferred a longer amount of time. Participants love to ask us questions about food production, raising animals, the economics of farming, gardening, the Amish, conservation practices, and more, and answering those questions, as you might guess, takes time.

d. The length of the wagon ride is determined by the size of our farm. I'm sorry that it didn't last as long as you would have preferred. Since we can't have a long ride, we like to share educational information about our crops, which sustain our animals. We also compare our farming practices with that of our Amish neighbors. We appreciate that our tour guides thoroughly explain this topic, and I'm sorry that you didn't find the topic of crop production relevant or interesting for a farm tour.

e. Our cows, pigs, goats, and other animals do produce manure. Our pastured cows do much of their business on the pasture. Our 4 pigs are in an indoor/outdoor pen. The pigs potty-train themselves (yup, they are smart!) to go to the bathroom in the outdoor area, and so the smells from their pen are actually from composting hay, kitchen scraps, and garden produce, not from their manure.

I'm impressed that you've visited many other farms. That's wonderful to know. I also enjoy visiting other farms that offer public admission, and from what I've seen, most like to showcase one part of their farm (an ice cream parlor, a petting zoo, a creamery, a corn maze, etc.). That's a great model for their business. We, however, like to offer a behind-the-scenes view into all aspects of our 101-year-old, 4th generation family farm. And with being an open book, we like sharing the reality of farm life. Many families have witnessed the birth of a calf. Others see haymaking. Some enjoy watching us dig potatoes. Some come when we're hauling manure. All of it is part and parcel with a real, working farm, including the smells. As my maternal grandfather used to say, manure smells like money to a farmer....it fertilizes the crops which feed the animals which produce food for farmers to sell which gives the farmer the opportunity continue to farm. How thankful I am to be a farmer and to be able to share it with others.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

I typically do not fill out reviews, but after reading some of the reviews, positive and negative, I felt compelled to at least offer an additional perspective on the stay my family and I had recently.

My wife, daughter, and I spent two nights, the first in the main house and the second in the white house. This was due to room availability. It was fantastic and pleasant. The hosts were very gracious. I enjoyed participating in farm chores and interacting with the animals. Particularly special were the downtimes simply knocking about the farm learning about operations as well as learning about the farm workers. There were many opportunities to just relax and take in the beauty of the surroundings around us as well.

My father grew up on a farm that I have fond memories of visiting my grandfather as a child. This farm brought back all of those wonderful memories. I sincerely do not understand the relatively small number of negative reviews. When you are on a farm, even as a child you learn at a young age about life and death when it pertains to the animals. You hear animals and are around pee and poop. Barn's are not air conditioned and the barn cats are more 'employees" than they are pets as their purpose is to keep away field mice. You cannot have all that straw and grain around without field mice and the cats are there to keep away mice. Individuals who come to a farm and expect the the ritz carlton or a manufactured Disney experience are probably better served going to a city hotel. One comes to nature to see exactly that, nature! Animals get sick, animals smell, and they live and they die. Many typical households have become so detached from the source of their food as well as the natural world.

That being said, the rooms were clean and comfortable. The accommodations were rustic, just as you would expect at a farm. The surroundings were absolutely beautiful and the farm workers and hosts were very gracious and hospitable. The rooms had soap, many clean towels, and very comfortable beds, blankets, and linens.

If you come expecting a petting zoo only to be able to retreat back to confines of accommodations detected from nature, then this is not for you. If you come expecting to see a farm, then you will enjoy this experience tremendously. It is all dependent on the expectations of the vacationer.

Room Tip: If you have a young child a private bathroom is a must
2  Thank elbodie
Reviewed 25 August 2017

"It was Perfect" was my wife's response when I asked her how she liked the trip. We stayed three nights in room 6 with grandchildren, ages 11, 9 and 6 -who had said they would not like a farm and were not going to touch a cow.

First looking at room basics. Room 6 in the Little White House was clean, well supplied with a hair dryer, towels, and soap in the bath. There was cool air from a room air conditioner, a nook for one child's air mattress, a pull out cot for another, a fully equipped shared kitchen where we fixed lunch, and a playground in back. The noise from the air conditioner and the cars and Amish buggys on the road near the house did not bother us, we slept soundly. We liked there was no TV, no swimming pool and that the Little White House was about a five minute walk from the farm house, alongside a cow pasture and the bass pond.

The home cooked breakfasts were delicious as were the conversations with other guests and family and farm staff.

Back to the grandchildren- every morning they helped with 7:30 AM farm chores, milked a cow every day, went on the apprentice farm tour, and played for hours with goats, chickens, kittens, Scoby the border collie, on the swings, and with other children there. The six year old went to the chicken coop on her own, gathered newly laid eggs, and took them to Lydia in the kitchen.

Beyond the farm, we rode a train pulled by a steam engine. We went to tour the nearby Old Windmill Amish farm- the capable tour guide part of the time was a barefooted 10 year boy- his brother came riding by on a horse. There were many more things to do nearby within 5 to 30 minutes. We found some by using the wifi in room 6, others by asking the family, fourth generation there on the farm.

The family and others working there are the kind of people- high standards, competence, and kindness- that one would hope your children and grandchildren would work for in their formative years.
We wanted to show our grandchildren a different way of living than they had seen, and the Verdant View Farm trip did just that. Perfect for us with grandchildren and perfect when just the two of us go back again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2017

we just returned from 3 nights at Verdant View..the Little White Cottage was really nice, comfortable and the back yard area is so peaceful and relaxing that we spent both evenings out there, relaxing and enjoying the view...the Strasburg Railroad goes past here, and that was fun to watch...the AC in our room (6) has a mind of its own, but we never let anything affect our vacation..enjoyed the home done breakfast, sorry we slept late the last morning and did not make breakfast....milked a cow, fed a calf, much to do here and very nice family run place to stay..all the people here are just wonderful

Room Tip: rooms in the little white cottage can be a little noist at night with the traffic going by, but don't let that stop you from staying here