“THON”

Toftrees Golf Resort
Ranked #17 of 26 Hotels in State College
“THON”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. The staff was friendly and our room was clean. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Belle1611
Toftrees, Director of Sales at Toftrees Golf Resort, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Toftrees. We look forward to your return stay with us.

Laura Phillippi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Old Forge, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed in 117 on ground floor. It was around 30 degrees outside when we checked in but the room was about 80 degrees and the heat was not on when we arrived. It was uncomfortably warm most of the night but did finally cool down. Room was ok, outdated by most standards but nothing terrible. Bed and pillows were terrible, far too soft (probably from over use as them seemed old). Staff seemed friendly through our limited ineraction. Price was great; $79/night. I would put this hotel towards the bottom of the list but would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate any feedback we get so that we can work to improve our resort. We have been upgrading our guestrooms with addtional amenities thoughtout the last couple of months. We hope that we will see you again at our resort and you can see the new features.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Toftrees on October 29. We were up for a PSU football game and couldn't get anything closer to campus. The grounds were pretty and the staff is nice but the hotel is a bit dated. We were in the "Royal Suite"- comfy King sized bed and huge bathtub. We were given vouchers for 2 free breakfast. I would stay there again if I couldn't get the Days Inn in town. There is a nice steakhouse and bar at the hotel but we took a 10-15 min cab ride into town for dinner. The price was comparable to other hotels in state college for a football weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lehighvalleytraveler
We appreciate you sharing your experience at Toftrees. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are continuously working on improving our resort and have made some upgrades. We added new flat screen TV's to the guestrooms and are now working on new carpeting in the hallways.

The Down Under Steakhouse is a great restaurant to have breakfast, lunch, or dinner in. It also has a lounge with a full service bar.

I hope we see you back this football season.

Thanks,
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed for one night. The room is dated, but clean and comfortable. The steakhouse is a good choice for food, and is not at all overpriced. You can call it a resort since it has tennis and golf on property, but that's about it. It's clean, quite, and safe.

Room Tip: If it's cold, stay off of the ground floor. It's cold down here.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bogberto
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I stayed one night for a concert during Parents Weekend. I asked for a quiet room - which I got and was very pleased with my stay.

I did not have time to explore much, but the grounds I saw were beautiful. The pool was closed (October weather). People were still golfing though!

Our room - because I requested quiet - was one floor up behind the check in desk. There was no elevator I saw, but that was no problem. It was only one floor up. The only downfall I had all weekend was the stairwell did have a strong musty odor - but we were in them for what, one minute? Not enough to trash the place in my review.

The halls were clean. The room was very clean and roomy. The beds were a little hard. I slept great (it was a late night after the concert). My adult daughter didn't sleep as well due to the hard bed. Our other friend did not sleep as well either - but her problem was the pillow. She did not bring her own (I always do) and she was not used to them. She had no problem with the bed.

Breakfast: We received two passes to breakfast - kind of stupid since we had 3 people. So the third person had to pay $10 for the breakfast. (Now that I think about it I just should have asked for a third and see what happened - but I was distracted with excitement at check in and didn't think of it then. After all we had third row seats to Zac Brown concert!) The breakfast was very good. Good coffee. They have wait staff that bring you your drinks - but watch out - they charge you for drinks. They have an omlette station where you get an omlette made right in front of you - an it doesn't take long at all. then the normal stuff: french toast, homefries, sausage, bacon, fruits, toast, danish etc. All you can eat. Good food. We were very pleased. They do have a few thermoses of self serve coffee on the bar area that you can help yourself and take it to your room or - like I did - to the car for our ride home.

Lobby: It is very pretty. They had cookies and I think coffee and lemonade out. The staff at the desk are VERY helpful. They explain the basics well and are right there with any questions you have. They are extremely pleasant and I like that.

Toftrees is extremely close to the Stadium for football games. I did hear people asking for the shuttle - so I believe they have a shuttle to the game. I don't recommend driving to the game. We were leaving when everyone else was going towards the stadium and it appeared to have very large traffic jams. Not too many roads into the stadium area. For our concert we absolutely did not have any problem - the crowd was less numerous than for a football game. It's only about an 11 minute drive.

State College is in very beautiful and hilly country. A lovely drive.

I was pleased and would stay there again.

The thing you have to remember and maybe this is why there are some bad reviews. ALL of the hotels in the area - because Penn State football is SO HUGE - they ALL hike up the prices during the events. They have "Event Pricing". This is not just Toftrees, but ALL of the hotels. What are you going to do to stay close though? I did find a cheaper hotel ($120 a night - but it was 1 1/2 hours away from the stadium!) So expect this and you will be just fine. Of course, I did look last minute. I am sure that the father out you book your rooms, the better deals you can get.

So spend a little $ and stay close. It's worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends