“Always fun to go to my favorite restaurant”

American Ale House and Grill
Ranked #12 of 262 Restaurants in State College
Price range: USD 10 - USD 25
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 6 April 2018

When given a choice of where to eat in State College, I choose the Ale House! Their menu always has many delicious foods and the atmosphere is always friendly. Accommodations can be made for large groups or single couples. I especially love eating outside when the weather cooperates!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Always enjoy eating at the Ale House. Delicious choices on both the lunch and dinner menu and not the standard fare you’d find elsewhere. One of my favorite restaurants in State College.

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

We made reservation for this restaurant based on TA review and recommendations. We had dinner on a Tuesday evening in mid March. Our experience was satisfactory overall, but the rave reviews were probably overrated.
The restaurant is located is a nice quiet country resort area, close to the golf course. The renovation/ambience was modern and upscale, which is befitting to its price range. The maître d’ that greeted us at the reception, however, did not seem too enthusiastic nor friendly. We were seated immediately at the steam bar (as I have requested) since it was not busy.
The steam bar was a large area with at least 20+ tables. But There seemed to be only 2 waitresses covering this section. We had to wait longer than usual to order, to ask for something, or for our bill. Our waitress was very professional but she seemed tired.
For entree we ordered the highly recommended items as on TA - pan roast and bouillabaisse. For appetizer we ordered the bone marrow, grilled octopus and Caesar salad. The octopus was not fresh, the bone marrow had too strong a marinade, and with pickled mushroom and olive the flavour was just overpowered. My husband, however, thought it would be good to go with beer. The pan roast was a Creole cream sauce with different seafood in it. Again I found the flavour overbearing although the combination with white rice was fitting. The bouillabaisse, in comparison, was better than the other dishes. I can taste saffron in the broth, and there was a good portion of crabmeat, shrimp, mussels, and 2 large cherry stone clams.
Our bill comes to $135 which included 3 appetizers, 2 entrees, a glass of white wine and 1/2 pint beer from tap, and 15% tips. Price-wise it was reasonable. Taste-wise I would say it won’t be my favourite restaurant as everything was very strong in flavour. They are probably more desirable for diners who consume beer and wine substantially.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

I liked the beer sampler, and the oysters po boy sandwich BUT the Tia Salad. do not order it. the atmosphere was nice and the piano playing after 8:00pm was very nice. Do not order the tai salad.

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

Pretty interesting that they had NE oysters to choose from and soft shelled crabs in State College, but they were excellent. Oyster po boy isn’t New Orleans style, but it was plenty good. And the soft shell crab sandwich was also surprisingly good. Place was an awesome find in sleepy Happy Valley in the winter. One note — park in their lot, street parking is tight and our car mirror got cracked up.