“Pleasently surprised”

Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in State College
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“Pleasently surprised”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I have lived in state college for quite some time and never considering the Autoport restaurant for dining. Well, my wife convinced me that the food was very good there so we decided to go for an early saturday dinner. I was very impressed. First, they have happy hour on the weekends ( half price drinks and apps.) The food was spectacular and affordable. I had the crabcake sandwhich which was severed on a crossant with sweet potato fries!!!!!! It was soo good. My wife had sliders which were served on potato rolls with home made potato chips. outstanding!!!! The only complaint if any was that our service a tad slow. But we sat outside and the weather was nice so it wasn't that bad. This is a really good spot to grab some grub especially if you can make it during happy hour.

Room Tip: Go during happy hour.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Prince_Oochie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oxford, Pa
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Room looked like it was from a hotel in the 1970's, not the cleanest either (sheets were stained) and smelled so musty like the room had been closed off for 20 years! Bed was uncomfortable and pillows were flat. Heat stayed on constantly even when turned off and at 3am we woke up and it was 88 degrees in our room. Air would not turn on. Didn't want to open the window because we didn't want to hear the traffic from the highway nearby but at 5am that's what we had to do. And told guy at checkout we didn't sleep because of heat. He said, "I will have to tell maintenance" and "do you want a copy of your receipt?". Didn't even apologize let alone offer to compensate us. Should have known better, crappy dinner and bad service last time we ate there and my parents said the same thing last time they had dinner there. Totally went downhill since it was sold in 2007.

Room Tip: To get a good room, go to another hotel!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pib103

Travellers are raving about these State College hotels

Newtown square
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Old and tired beds, furniture, filthy couch, clock from 1970's. Seriously hard to believe they charge 100.00 a night and get it. Yes, it was clean and no, there Were not bedbugs, but update it already ?grasscloth wallpaper went out 20 years ago.

Room Tip: We were told we were lucky to have gotten a cottage. I can not imagine what the otherrooms looked l...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank 18Lovetotravel18
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Upon our arrival, the room smelled like a kitty litter box. The management was unconcerned and said they would spray deodorizer. Our other room wasn't cleaned during our 3 day stay. We had to call repeatedly just to get towels and toilet paper. Their attitude was nonchalant and disinterested. Don't stay here!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank damcelro
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 March 2011

I've stayed at the Autoport several times, since I come to State College once or twice a year to visit family. I was shocked to read the several terrible reviews of it here on Tripadvisor. I've always had a good experience. I don't know where the bed bugs are that so many people have mentioned! Those reports filled me with tremendous anxiety and I almost cancelled my reservation, but it was THON weekend, and I knew it would be Autoport or nothing (most likely).

We somehow scored the "Honeymoon Suite" so maybe that was due to the bad reviews? Anyway, we DID NOT have bedbugs. We had 2 TVs, used our laptop, took hot showers, slept in a king size bed, used a small fridge (though not enough outlets for fridge and coffee maker -- but fridge chilled quickly), all for about $85. The walls clearly need to be repaired (there were shocking telltale signs of previous work that was not expertly done, let's say) and there were some noisy neighbors, but it's a motel, not the Waldorf, so that's fine. Motels aren't responsible for their clientele, right? They should replace the ventilation fan in the bath, though -- it sounded like a piper cub (a prop-driven private airplane).

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple