New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Beautiful property that needs a facelift” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The French Manor Inn and Spa

The French Manor Inn and Spa
Falls Church, Virginia
“Beautiful property that needs a facelift”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

My husband and I just returned from celebrating his birthday at the French Manor Inn & Spa. We are big B&B fans, and make an effort to stay in smaller inns wherever we travel. I read the other reviews on the French Manor before selecting it as our choice, and have to say that after our experience there, I agree with some of the other negative reviews we saw on TripAdvisor. There don't seem to be many other hotel/inn options in this region of the Poconos, and if anyone else knows of something - we'd love to know about it! Therefore, despite the negative reviews, we did see some other five star and glowing reviews of the French Manor and decided to book it.

We checked into the inn on a Friday, skied at Camelback Mountain on Saturday, and checked out on Sunday. We booked a dinner reservation at the French Manor Inn for Saturday night, and I had asked for some dinner recommendations in town for Friday night. The staff suggested we could just enjoy dinner in the "cafe" on the inn's property if we wanted a casual atmosphere. So, since we got there a bit late on Friday, we decided to do that. When I hear the word "cafe", I'm envisioning sandwiches, salads, and lighter fare. Apparently, the "cafe" at the French Manor is just another room which serves the same dinner menu as the main restaurant - meaning $50 entrees and over the top service. However, you are allowed to dress casually in this other room. We ended up spending $60 for soup and salads when we were really just looking for a light dinner to tide us over before going to bed. But the food was good, so it was fine.

Our room ($250 per night), was the Florence room in the main house. It was much larger than we expected, but small details in the space were just "off". One of our face towels had someone else's mascara on it and clearly had not been washed. The heater was becoming detached from the wall in the bathroom. The bed spread seemed old and the curtains looked like they had been there at least 20 years. Then, the guests in the room above us arrived. We knew when they arrived and when they went to bed, because we could hear their footsteps and muffled conversations. Overall, the room just wasn't a space you wanted to spend time in and relax. Moreover, it was not worth the $250 price tag per night.

The breakfasts, as other reviewers state, were overall pretty good. However, the staff is young, inexperienced, and slightly awkward. Our major complaint concerning the breakfast was that on one of the mornings, both my husband and I ordered poached eggs. Both our eggs were overcooked and not that appetizing.

Dinner on Saturday night was a mixed bag. The french onion soup and salads/appetizers we had were great. I ordered the scallops, which were gritty and just okay. My husband had the short ribs which he reports were okay. We ordered a bottle of wine as well. The wine list is not accurate based on what they have available. Although our first two choices were unavailable, the bartender did find us a more expensive bottle that was similar to what we had ordered, and gave it to us for a lower price, which we really appreciated. However, in general we felt like the entire dinner experience was overpriced. We have been to highly ranked Michelin star restaurants before and have rarely left a meal where we felt like we overpaid for what we received. The service staff at the French Manor is just not trained properly, and there is an aspect of inauthenticity to the whole place that just feels strange and somewhat unwelcoming.

We're honestly surprised that the French Manor Inn is listed as a Select Registry B&B. The other Select Registry properties we've stayed at far surpass the experience we had at the French Manor. We feel like the French Manor Inn could be amazing. The property is beautiful, their new spa facilities (we only used the whirlpool hot tub) are gorgeous, and the food, while overpriced, is not horrible.

In our opinion, the French Manor Inn is overpriced for what you get. We loved the Poconos, and will likely ski at Camelback in the future. But we will not be staying at the French Manor Inn again, nor will we recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: If you're willing to drop $350-$400 per night, go with the Spa suites.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Stephanie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

My husband and I spent our "mini-moon" at the French Mano Inn and Spa for four days and three nights in October of 2011. We absolutely loved the relaxing manor. It was prime Fall colors, and a much needed rest from wedding planning. We spent our days walking the grounds, which have absolutely stunning views, eating, sleeping, and in general relaxing.

We stayed in the Chambord Suite, which was on the second floor of La Maisonneuve Suites. The balcony afforded us an unobstructed view of the surrounding mountain vista. The bed was extremely comfortable as were the linens. I will admit like other reviewers that the walls were rather thin, and we did hear the neighbors at least one evening, which leads me to wonder if they were able to hear us as well. Embarrassing.

We did visit the spa and had a couples massage, and that was great, and the prices were on par with the other spas I've visited. The exercise room was small but well appointed and the pool was adorable, it's too bad I forgot to bring my bathing suit.

The afternoon tea was a nice touch, and the main manor house had wonderful old world charm that my husband and I just fell in love with...the dinner which was included with our Enchanted Evenings package was AMAZING. We ate ourselves silly.

The entire staff (wait staff, bartender, front desk) was fantastic, accommodating, and in general wonderful. I thought it was a nice touch that while we were at breakfast (included with our stay, and let me say again DELICIOUS), our room was cleaned, so when we returned our room was always fresh. And the same with dinner, every time we returned from dinner our room was "turned down" and had chocolates on the night table. It was a nice touch, and I assume the staff communicated with the housekeeping staff that we were at our meals, but my husband and I never saw the cleaning staff so it was like house elves were popping in and taking care of it.

I think in general the French Manor Inn is a fantastic experience, and a wonderful place to visit. The only reason I am giving it only 4 stars, even with the enchanted evenings package the visit was still rather expensive. Still, I have recommended it to others as a special place to visit and I hope my husband and I can go back again soon.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms in La Maisonneuve Suites have gorgeous views.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Went to The French Manor as a last minute getaway and was very much satisfied and pleased with the experience. The staff was very helpful and friendly and not at all overbearing, which was a relief. We stayed in one of the Suites, which had a very inviting fireplace and a beautiful view of the natural scenery below (as the French Manor sits atop a mountain with an amazing view). Took advantage of the Couple's massage at the Spa, which was extremely relaxing. In general, everything was clean which is something I really value in a place. Overall, we were very pleased with our experience and would definitely consider going back again in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

My boyfriend arranged our New Year's Eve package with the French Manor and we were both very pleased with everything we experienced. The staff was friendly and warm. The scenery was breathtaking. The food was exquisite. We took advantage of the Nature Lover's package, the ski package, and even indulged in a couples massage on our last morning there. The New Year's Eve dinner was probably the highlight of our trip. Big thumbs up to the Chef!

Room Tip: We chose to stay in one of the Spa Suites, which had a wonderful view from a private balcony.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tabitha S
Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

I got married at The French Manor in October. I have mixed feelings about my experience. The setting is beautiful, the food is very good, and the staff is generally very nice. But there were definitely enough glitches throughout my wedding weekend that made me wonder how often weddings are held at the French Manor because things seemed uncoordinated, and at times, disorganized. Telling me an hour and half before my wedding reception that one of my menu items was out of season and I that would need to substitute something else really does not scream personal attention to details, which is how they market themselves on their website. We also had a mix-up with our room, and I know my bridesmaids had problems communicating with staff about some pre-wedding activities they wanted to do. The Manor rooms are nice and spacious but rather expensive for the area. There were several other odd quirks we encountered both before and during our wedding weekend. My advice: If you are a bride who wants/needs personal attention to details and fairly quick responses then you might to consider other venues. If you can go with the flow, then this place really is a lovely setting for a wedding.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank l_schief
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
Thank you very much for posting your review. The French Manor is a family run business in which we truly care for all aspects of our guests' comfort. We are saddened to hear that you had mixed feelings about your special day at the French Manor Inn and Spa.

We were happy to hear from many of your guests on how they enjoyed their meal. Our chef makes it a point to offer only the freshest ingredients on his menus, no matter if it is a wedding event or an intimate dinner for two. The one item in question was that the vegetable you originally chose was not in season. Our chef offered you two other alternative vegetables that were in season to be served with your entrees. All other items on your menu were exactly as you chose and prepared to perfection.

As for your accommodation, we certainly made sure that the beautiful suite described in your signed wedding contract (one of our most requested and elegant spa suites) was prepared and ready for your arrival. However, upon your arrival you decided your preferred another accommodation. Though we were completely booked that weekend, we made some adjustments and were able to move you to the suite you wanted. It took us a few moments to make the last minute changes to accommodate your needs.

We at The French Manor strive to combine an elegant setting with the warmth and graciousness of our service. I am only sorry that we let you down on this occasion. If you would like to speak to a member of our management team please do not hesitate to email info at thefrenchmanor dot com. Congratulations and we hope that you will visit us again in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Sterling
#3 of 8 in Mount Pocono
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,434 reviews
36.9 km away
The Mansion at Noble Lane

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!