“One Day is not Enough!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
New York City, New York
“One Day is not Enough!”
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stood here for my daughter 9th birthday party. Took 4 girls and me and my husband. Stood in a loft room however that was a big mistake. The Loft is outrageously large which is great but I forgot that sound travels up and the noise of the girls on the lowere level did annoy me. Wish I would have just gotten 2 rooms. Tons of things to do. The waterpark is large enough that the smell of clhorine doesnt suffocate you. The buffet was not that great but most arent. The magical quest is really fun if you can figure it out. Unfortunately you do have to participate with the kids if they are to young. My daughters party was at scoops with mani and pedis. Very cute, she loved it!!! then my 12 year olds had a teen spot with music and video games. All in all I thought it was a great place for kids but two days is definitly the way to go.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Turkish first
Broomall, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The hotel is beautiful and the water park was a lot of fun. My kids, ages 3 & 7, loved it and can't wait to go back. We stayed in a kid kamp room and my kids were so excited to be in the bunk beds in their own area with their own tv. My only complaint is around the price. It was a little pricey for only one night considering there were so many fun things to do but they were all extra. The arcade was extra, some of the activities in the cubs club were extra, the food was expensive and all of the kids were running around with wand on a magic quest which was a great idea but the basic wands were priced between $17 and $20.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor as the first floor can be a bit noisy
Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mpat24
new york
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I have to start this review by saying I'm not a big water park fan. I can't get past the skeeve factor when I see mashed up food and old bandaids on the wet floors. Kind of feels like a huge locker room. Even my daughter said at times, "I feel icky." The chlorine smell is a bit overwhelming. I was able to deal with it but I could see people with respiratory issues having a problem. The temperature of the park is on the warm side and not very comfortable even when wet.
The park itself is a perfect size for younger kids, not too big. The lifeguards are the best! I've been to water parks in Disney and they are not nearly as attentive. My 6 year old really enjoyed the slides. There was only one I wasn't comfortable with her riding (very dark, not sure what it was called).
We stayed in the loft and it large enough for a party of 7. I did notice some left over m&m's on the floors and a piece of chewed up gum. The bathroom had a bad smell, sort of like a musty mop. I thought the beds were very comfortable. I noted lots of other reviews complaining about the beds. Maybe we had new ones? Also no bed bugs. Thank god. I did check.
We didn't eat in the buffet but had snacks in the park. Typical over priced amusement park food. Although, I was surprised at the low cost for alcoholic beverages ($4 a beer).
I would say go for the kids. It's not someplace I would visit again but I'm glad my daughter liked it

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
I am glad to hear that you found our lifeguards to be so attentive. Safety is a top priority at Great Wolf Lodge and this is so good to hear. I will share with the Director of Aquatics so that he can congratulate his team. I’m also glad that you found your beds to be so comfortable. As you can imagine, it is difficult to find mattresses that suit all sleeping preferences, so it is great to hear that you enjoyed them.

I’m sorry to hear, though, that you had issues with the waterpark and the cleanliness of your room. I will share these concerns with the housekeeping and aquatics team. We value all feedback and use it when making decisions for the future of our resort.

Once again, than you for the review and I apologize for any issues you might have experienced.

Best Wishes,
Bill Colavito
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Our children had a ball at Great Wolf Lodge. We stayed one night (with one long afternoon prior and the whole next day in the water park). The rooms were serviceable and no bedbugs! (We checked before settling in... neurotic, I know.) We probably wouldn't have stayed another night even if we wanted to blow the money, because one night was plenty. The kids loved running around the water park. All in all, it's safe, well-lifeguarded, and geared toward non-stop fun. That's exactly what we were looking for. I did have to remind myself not to examine it through adult eyes. That's one piece of advice I can offer: don't think about it too much; just be there with your children and see it through their eyes. It's a kid's dream, not just because of the water park, but there's a buffet with a chocolate fountain in the dessert bar, a kids' spa, an ice cream & sweet shop, and a token arcade on premises. Having said all this, there are a couple of things you might want to consider:

1. Water shoes are a good idea. This place is like the biggest locker room in the world, with thousands of kids & adults running around barefoot on any given day. I never had foot fungus before, but...

2. The staff (really polite and nice in general) will offer you arm bracelets when you check in. I'd avoid these next time: two of ours didn't work. The other two worked and we each spent a portion of those. Though the staff had said, "You don't even need to check out when you leave!" PLEASE DO CHECK OUT IN PERSON. Since two of our bands didn't work, and there are no records kept of your arm band purchases (they're viewed as cash), we wanted to make sure everything was cool with our bill at the end. It wasn't. And it was a hassle to finally straighten out the bill.

3. The restaurant and the food in general wasn't as horrific as I'd expected after reading reviews on here. It was great to be able to get a beer on tap in the bar at the end of the day, and the food was fair --- we've had much worse. Pennsylvania (other than Philly) can be a culinary wasteland, and Scotrun is no exception, but the food's not why you visit, right? One plus: though we're not normally Starbucks fans, we were REALLY grateful for the surprisingly good latte we had from the on-premise one mid-morning after our stay.

4. TIP: There is an independently owned ice cream shop down the road from the entrance to GW that we liked a lot more than the sweet shop inside the park. It's less than half the price and much higher quality than the GW place... kind of like a privately owned, old-timey Dairy Queen from 1970. Highly recommend you take the kids there on the way out of town or as a break from your incarceration, er, stay at the lodge.

5. Though the water park was great and not overly crowded on a Monday, one concern we had is that the chlorine levels were crazy high. Our eyes & lungs were burning like mad after the first 20 minutes, but we eventually adjusted to it. However, my daughter got the water in her eyes in the wave pool a lot and we had to take her to a pharmacy in town that night to get something for the pain / redness. The pharmacist commented, "I don't know what they're doing at that place chemically, but we see tons of kids with eye and soft tissue burns." Not really a surprise... To manage bacteria at an indoor water park, where you don't have the cleansing benefit of the sun, some big chemical guns must be required to keep the place from becoming a petri dish.

All in all, our stay was fun. GW is a very cheesy, American, consumer culture sort of place---- come on! It's a fake wood lodge in the Poconos! --- but if you can just let that go, even embrace it, you'll have a great time with your family. That's what it's all about.

3 Thank BilbyAcres
Having fun with your family is really what it’s all about! Thank you for the honest review of our Lodge. I’m glad your kids had such a great time. As safety is our number one priority, it is great to hear that you found the resort safe and well-lifeguarded, we take pride in that.

I am also glad you found the staff to be polite and helpful. I will share this with the Director of Guest Services so that he can share with the team.

Once again, thank you for the honest review and I hope that you and your family will join us again.

Kind Regards,
Bill Colavito
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We visited the lodge in August 2011. We stayed for two nights in the Grizzly Bear Suite with two adults and six kids (our three kids plus three of their friends). The parking lot and the resort itself seemed very crowded...I would guess the reosort was nearly full.

Pros:
* Great indoor water park, fun pools and slides
* Convenient "all under one roof" weather-proof vacation experience
* Wrist bands served as room keys and charge cards (optional) - so you can leave your room with virtually nothing when heading out to enjoy the lodge and water park
* Very family oriented...95% of guests are parents with kids 2 to 15 years old...safe, kid-friendly atmosphere
* Fun decor (wolves, bears, deer, moose, etc.) throughout resort
* Lines for slides were shorter than you would find at a typical water park (although there were always moderate lines: 5 to 20 minutes depending on popularity of slide and time of day / night - we found the shortest lines between 7pm and 9pm)
* My 3yo enjoyed the cubs' club for arts & crafts
* Large arcade
* Nice outdoor pool area and bar (seasonal)
* We arrived at 2pm and there was no line for check-in; the check-in process was quick and easy...we had our wrist bands and were pool-bound by 2:15pm, received a text message that our room was ready at 3:30pm
* The lifeguards were serious and attentive to their duties
* The grizzly bear suite was very large and nicely decorated
* Starbucks in the lobby
* Two minutes from Crossings Outlets in Tannersville

Cons:
* If being surrounded by tons of super-excited, often dripping wet kids bothers you, this is not the resort for you. You will experience kids running and yelling in the hallways and elsewhere, kids splashing, kids trying to spray you with water cannons as you walk through the water park, kids having meltdowns, parents having meltdowns, etc. You need to be able to go with the flow and concentrate on the fun your family is having!
* There is not enough seating for the "quick serve" restaurants (not even close!)
* Unless you arrive at 9am and "save" a lounge chair or table you will not get one (we were always able to find at least one chair to keep our clothes / towels on - but never secured a lounge chair or table)
* Rooms not too sound proof, I knew when my upstairs neighbors walked across the room, filled their tub, drained their tub, etc.

Tips:
* Bring snacks and drinks for room (even sandwich fixings) to save $$
* If your room is far from lobby, may be easier to use alternate entrance to unload / load car - there are carts, elevators and ramps
* Read up on the many "dry" activities / packages offered at the lodge ahead of time...many of these are pricey so best to have a game plan ahead of time on what you are willing to spend $$ on
* If you're planning to stay and play after check-out, may be worthwhile to rent a locker
* One night really is enough, especially if you arrive by 1pm and stay and play until evening on check-out day

Overall we had a great time and would visit again...next time I'd like to go mid-week in the dead of winter when (hopefully!) the resort would be less crowded!

3 Thank travelingrightnow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
5.4 km away
7.8 km away
Paradise Stream Resort
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!