“Not particularly impressed ”
Review of Kalahari Waterpark

Kalahari Waterpark
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Stay: 2 nights / 3 adults, 3 children
Room: Desert Room

Check In Process
We arrived at 3:30. Check-in starts at 4pm and we were in the room by 4:30. Not bad at all.

Rating: 4/5

Room:

Room was basic and clean and suited our needs. However, things did not stay that way.

Room Service was not adequate in the slightest. The towels we left on the floor (standard, to indicate that we required fresh towels) were folded up and put back.

The trash can was not emptied, coffee and cups not restocked.

Worst of all, my nephew had a nose bleed on the comforter, so we left it visible so it could be changed and the bed was just re-made. I found this issue to be most appalling of all.

I called housekeeping, no answer. I called the front desk, no answer, so I had to go down personally to discuss the situation. The front desk gave me coffee and advised that housekeeping would address the situation.

They duly arrived and changed the bedding and emptied the trash but would be back with towels and cups. They never came back. This was particularly shoddy in my mind, especially since this was from a complaint.

Rating: 1/5

Dining:

Sortinos:

Fresh and clean look, good menu and good food. No complaints here.

Food: 4/5
Service: 4/5

Rating: 4/5

B-lux:

Decor was nice and the food was good. However, it took 45 minutes to get our food. After 30 minutes, I questioned the server as to why it was taking so long to get the appetizers (cup on Chilli and a cheese flatbread) and was told that it was assumed we wanted all the food together. Who eats appetizers and entrees at the same time?

Not impressed with the service here.

Food: 4/5
Service: 1/5

Rating: 2.5/5

Water park:

We entered the park at 9:30 (as it opens). We managed to secure a table and we stayed there until 5pm.

The kids (and adults) had a blast. So much for all to do. Cannot question the variety of attractions.

There were lifeguards everywhere, which also makes you feel very reassured.

Variety: 5/5
Safety: 5/5

Rating 5/5

In summary, it is such a shame that we had a couple of bad experiences. Overall the resort does a great job, but I’m sorry, the whole room service thing grinds me very badly. This was just simply a horrid aspect of our trip.

Would I go again? Probably, as I hope this was just a one off, but it will always be something I will look out for again.

Kalahari Overall Rating: 3/5

in 9 reviews
"indoor water"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. My husband and I and 8 year old came here in April, 2018. We bought our tickets a few days ahead of time, knowing we were coming here during Spring Break, and if they reach their maximum capacity, they will no longer sell tickets at the entrance. Tickets were pricey, $109 each, but once you get in the water park, you can see why because they do have amazing facilities.

There are so many areas for kids and adolescents and adults, for all ages. They also have some bars for adults to get a drink, as well as an adult only, 21 and up small pool area. It was still cold outdoors when we went here for the day, so all of their outdoor areas were closed, as well as some of their slides.

But, there was still plenty for us to do. There were so many other slides that we went on together as a family and as individuals, a great wave pool, lots of play areas, water basketball pool area, surf board learning area, hot tub that also connected to an outdoor area, which was my favorite! The nice hot tub pool outdoor area was like being in a hot springs in the winter. What a fantastic and relaxing feeling!

I also thought for the amount of people that were there, the staff did a great job keeping the bathrooms and public areas pretty clean.

The only negative experience we had was when we had our lunch. We ate at the Zulu Grille, which is right next to the wave pool. When I went in, they had 4-5 people on the registers, but only 1 person getting all the orders together. The kitchen was amply staffed, so the food was coming out pretty quickly, but since there was only one person assembling all the orders, there were about 50-60 people who were waiting for our food for an hour! Now, they have 2 Windows where food was coming out: 1 where the pizzas and salads came out, and the other window where all the sandwiches and fries and onion rings were coming out. The food sat in these Windows after they were done cooking for almost an hour because as I said, they only had one person assembling all the orders. Some of us complained to the manager in duty, and tried to nicely say to her, she needs to pull people off register to help her assemble the food orders. She did not listen and was clearly overwhelmed. Now, I'm not upset at her, because she was clearly very young and did not know what she was doing. I am upset at Kalahari for clearly not training their staff properly. We even spoke to one of the people on the register to go and help her. He left his register, but clearly did not know what to do or how to help her, as the manager failed to give him any guidance. So he went back on the registers. The manager was not even assembling our food orders in any numerical order and was clearly not organized. 30 minutes into our waiting for our food, she went over to the registers and pulled all the receipts of the food orders that needed to be assembled, and each paper tape was about 5 feet long! All the customers were tempted to just jump the counter because all the food was sitting in the windows, but since there was only 1 person assembling the orders, our food sat in the windows for an hour! This could have easily been remedied had the manager listened to all 50-60 customers waiting, if she had just pulled 1 or 2 people off the registers to help assemble the food orders. McDonald's and Burger King do this during the lunch and dinner rushes. Each person on the cash register should have 1 staff member that is their runner who is responsible for assembling the food orders and getting it to the customers. Now, I paid almost $60 for my family's meal, so to get it 1 hour after it had been sitting in the window, it did not taste good at all. As more customers entered, we told them to leave because we were all having such a horrible experience. After I finally got my food 1 hour later after 1 paid for it and it had been made, I was relieved to finally sit down and eat. We paid a lot of money for entrance to this water park, so it is really very disappointing that this restaurant inside the park was not run more efficiently.

So great park, but terrible food service! I suggest leaving the park and eating at any of the other vendors that are just outside the park, but still inside the resort area. This will not only save you time, but also aggravation from your vacation experience.

3  Thank Florence M
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We went for one day with our seven year old. She had a blast, but she was still a little young for most of the rides. The park was amazing and midweek had plenty of seating. Staff was not friendly, unlike the Six Flags water park in upstate NY. All the bars were great but everything was SO expensive. The indoor/outdoor hot tubs were also good. I can't say I highly recommend it. I certainly would not spend the $$ to stay at the resort. We stayed at a Hampton Inn 7 miles away that was brand new and really nice.

1  Thank Streiner
Reviewed 1 April 2018

Stay away on any holiday, or weekend. It was like it was a surprise to them they were going to get a huge rush. I’ve overheard at least 30 people they will never again. If you want to reduce the pain of rooms not ready, have you & your kids have their swimsuits under their clothes so you can at least go to the water park while the 1 housekeeper gets to all the rooms. Not the staffs fault, it’s unprepaird management. They should google “hospitality”

5  Thank bpbrody