“An Elegant Old Place Trying to Maintain Grandeur”

Omni William Penn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This is my fourth stay in the William Penn in the last 2 years. I have seen a variety of rooms during those stays. Like the Palmer House in Chicago, the Peobody in Memphis, this is an old property that is still going strong. Overall there are mostly positives, but a few drawbacks.

First it has the elegant feel of a grand old hotel. The lobby is a beautiful large space with the ornamentation of an earlier age. There is a Starbucks on one side of the lobby and a nice cocktail area on the other side. This is a lobby that you might actually want to sit in to read to paper, have your coffee or enjoy a cocktail.

The Terrace Restaurant in the hotel is one of the very best restaurants in the downtown area. Dinners are well prepared and well served. The breakfast buffet is enormous.

The location is good, particularly if you are doing business with BNY Mellon or PNC. You can walk to the Consol Energy Arena and see a Penguins game.

The staff are all very friendly. The hotel has a very nice fitness facility with multiple aerobic and strength machines.

One drawback is that the rooms are inconsistent. I have had large rooms that were tired in terms of carpet and furnishings. This trip I have a small with new carpet and wallpaper. Unfortunately the bathrrom in this room is so small that there is no where to place my little TSA plastic bag with toiletries. I have to close the lid of the toilet so I have someplace to set the toiletries. This is inconvenient to say the least.

One tip is that if you do like to eat breakfast, book the "bed and breakfast" rate that is on the web site. When you book this ahead of time it is a great value considering the size of the breakfast.

Room Tip: I have not had problems with street noise in the rooms, possibly because Pittsburgh slows down at ni...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

We are thankful for your loyal patronage to The Omni William Penn over the last two years. We appreciate all of your kind comments and are excited to share that we will soon complete a renovation of all guest rooms. Due the historic nature of our hotel we do have rooms of varying sizes. Please don't hesitate to let us know the next time you return and we will make sure you are placed in one of our larger floor plans.

There are newer reviews for Omni William Penn Hotel

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I chose the Omni William Penn based on trip advisor reviews and my past stays at Omni Hotels in other cities. I was traveling with my daughter for a music audition at CMU. This ended up being the worst hotel we stayed at for all of our audition stays. The room was hot and stuffy and when I called the desk to ask about climate control they told me to open a window. Several of the outlets did not work, including the one to charge electronics. The lighting was terrible - very dark in the room. We were left with about 1/4 of a roll of tp and no extra roll. I had upgraded to a premium room and when I checked in I was told this entire floor was for their "select" guests. What a surprise when we were awakened around midnight to a barrage of groans, moans, banging on the headboard, and yelps of "yes". A wild sex orgy was going on in the room next door. I debated about calling the front desk but feared by the time they came and found the room it might be over, and worse yet I did not relish the thought of opening my door to security in my nightgown at this hour. So I snuck out in to the hall and found the room number. In the hall it was so loud it was frightening!!! I called the room and told them they were disrupting us and the out of breath woman said ok thanks. It continued for some time. At this point it did not matter as we were more than wide awake and couldn't resume sleep. This was such an important stay and sleep was essential for a music audition the following morning. I have never in my life been so disappointed with a hotel. Think twice before you choose the Omni William Penn!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ladybug1057

Thank you for the valuable time that you took to write and share your recent experience at our hotel. It is only through constructive feedback from our valued guests that we are able to improve our product and service. We would like to extend our deepest apologies that you were not satisfied with your room on this stay. We are happy to report that we are currently in the middle of a multi-million dollar room renovation that will offer a brand new look to our guest rooms, with brighter vibrant colors, and numerous amenities. This renovation is slated to be completed in early May, and we are hopeful that you will return to experience our new look and product.

With regard to the noise issues in the adjacent room, we apologize that this prevented you and your daughter from obtaining a restful night’s sleep. The well being of all of our guests is first and foremost to us, and we address any noise complaint immediately. Our professional security officers are trained to respond to any situation, and would have certainly done so in this instance. Again, we apologize that this impacted your stay with us, and we are hopeful that you will provide us with the opportunity to be your hotel of choice when your travels once again bring you to Pittsburgh. The Omni William Penn consistently ranks among the highest in guest satisfaction within Omni Hotels, and we are very disappointed when we do not meet the expectations of our guests. Thank you again for the candid feedback, and we look forward to the opportunity to show you that we can not only meet, but exceed your expectations on your next stay.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Hotels can be measured by the little things that they do right. For example, the little convenience store off the lobby is open until 10pm. Too many times ive stayed at hotels where this is closed when the sun goes down. The cleaning ladies are genuinely friendly, not just because they've been ordered to. You get the sense that the staff is glad that you are there.

No complaints, everything went well. Had a nice steak in the restaurant for dinner and an exceptional lunch.

I'm not a big fan of the OMNI chain but would make an exception the next time i'm in Pittsburgh. Paid around 130 for a nice sized room with two DBs.

Room Tip: Being an older hotel the rooms seem to all be convenient to the elevator core. No long hikes. Mornin...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review of The Omni William Penn. We are thrilled to know that the little touches helped us to exceed your expectations. We will look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Pittsburgh.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Trying to run a hotel in such an old building has its challenges but staff from door to floor is top rate. Two gret bars and restaurants . Prompt service

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have stayed here several times for business and the place is always top-notch. Great food at the bar and restaurant. The place is a little pricey but it is very reliable. I like the location because almost the entire business district is within walking distance so you don't have to worry about catching a cab.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for your loyal patronage to The Omni William Penn and for your complimentary review. It has been our pleasure to provide you with top-notch accommodations and we will look forward to your next visit.