“Nothing but a positive experience”

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #51 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I was really worried when this was the hotel we got through Priceline's name your price and saw the reviews on here. I kept telling myself, at least it's in downtown and we got it for half price. But really, I'm not sure what all the negatives were about. Parking - no, there is no self parking. But honestly, I haven't been to a hotel in a big city in awhile that had its own self parking. We did the valet for $26 a day with unlimited in and out because we knew we needed to get the car out twice on Saturday and once on Sunday (stayed Friday to Sunday). Had no issues with our room or any of the hotel staff. I called ahead of time and asked for a king bed and to be put in a quieter area because it was my husband and I and our 11 month old baby. No issues there. Rooms are a little small, so are the bathrooms, but once again, it's a city. If you want a big plush room, expect to pay more. For us, this was fine. I read a review about the bathroom door not offering enough privacy. I can see that. For us, we're married and obviously have been through child birth together, so no big deal. But there was no sound proofing, so maybe if you were with someone you didn't want to hear you do your *ahem* business, then this would be a big downside. We're kind of passed that point. Downside of it was that I was worried we would wake up the baby who went to bed at 7pm when we were in there brushing out teeth, etc.

Our daughter slept in a pack n play we took with us and it fit next to my side of hte bed, tight fit, no room between teh bed and the pack and play, but that didn't really bother me. The amenities in the bathroom were nice, towels soft, everything cleaned. First thing I do in every hotel - strip part of the bed down and check for bugs. Saw no bugs. Floor was even pretty clean since I was on my hands and knees playing with my daughter quite a bit. no bathtub, so she had to shower with us, which we've done before, so not a big deal. The bathroom did seem to have a bit of wear and tear to it, but everything else looked really nice. And it wasn't horrible, but I was a bit surprised that hte door and shower seemed a bit old and worn considering how new everything looked.

Close to walking distance for lots of restaurants. had to drive to the zoo and the children's museum. ABout 20 minutes to zoo (I think) and about 5 minutes to Children's museum.

I'd stay there again. Oh and bed was super comfy.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jacqs924
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Welcome!

Thank you for being our guest and for posting your review. Wow! It is great to see your great feedback! We are very happy to see that you enjoyed our hotel and our service team. We strive to provide the best service in the business and we are very excited to see that you enjoyed your stay! Our rooms were recently renovated and we are also in the process of upgrading some of the extra touches that you have mentioned.

Thank you again for your great feedback! We hope that you will choose our hotel the next time your travel plans bring you to Pittsburgh!

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I booked the hotel through Hotwire and got a good rate. Now I understand why I got such a good rate. The room was moderately clean - too much dust - and there were stains on the comforters. I asked housekeeping for two new comforters and they did provide new ones but the stained comforters should not have made it onto beds in the first place. The valet parking is a mess. The hotel will not take responsiblity for the parking because it it managed by 'an outside company.' I would suggest to hotel management to find a better parking company. Twice we called to have our car, as the card they give you suggests, and twice we went downstairs and had to wait an additional 10-20 minutes while they sorted out where the car was and why is wasn't already in the circle. One time was at 7am - there wasn't a rush for cars at this hour but they had manged to lose our key tag and blamed the us/the night workers for not having the ticket on the keys. We didn't valet the second night. It's easy to self park at the hotel or find a meter or gararge on Boulevard of the Allies. Skip the valet parking - it's not worth the hassel. The bellmen and front desk workers could use updated training on guest services. They get blamed for the mess that is the valet parking but they shouldn't be short and irritable with the guests because of it. This hotel has potential becuase it is in a good location but property management needs to do a better job in the in the 'little areas' (cleaning, customer service etc...) to make this a top notch property.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Hello! Thank you for staying with us! It was great having you as our guest. Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay experience. We are sorry to hear about the issue with the comforter on your beds. We are actually in the process of upgrading all of our bedding materials which will provide a new crisp look. We also would like to apologize for any delay with our valet service. We are currently in the process of increasing our valet staff and adding additional spaces. Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. We hope that you will choose the Wyndham Grand the next time your travel plans bring you to Pittsburgh.

Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Good installations, very polite personnel. The room smelled very clean. The gym is a little small, but you can still burn your calories. Only tried the breakfast, very good.
We were there Monday thru Wednesday, the hotel is located 2 blocks away from it; the downtown is very very quiet, almost felt like it was closed. If you want to go for an early jog around, the three rivers park is right in the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: You need to request the view to the 3 rivers!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Welcome!

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your great feedback! We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed our hotel and location. We will share your great feedback with our team! It also great to see that you enjoyed our Fitness Center, we just finished expanding and renovating this great space. We hope that you will visit us again the next time your plans bring you to Pittsburgh!

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Wife and I booked room through priceline.. got a great rate. we arrived in Pitt.. at noon wife called in and asked if we could come in now and they accomidated us with a great room... nice view of city and rivers. room was spacious and very clean. we had a walkin shower.. Only bad thing was no fridge... We used the valet it was a little pricey; $26 but we didnt look into parking our own car. So my bad..did not use restaurant or bar..overall a very good stay..

Room Tip: look into parking for yourself..
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Hello & Welcome!

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your great feedback! It is awesome to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and our spectacular views. We will share your great feedback with the time! We enjoyed being your home away from home while traveling. We hope to have you as our guest again in the near future!

Reviewed 26 April 2012

we snagged a great price on priceline for this hotel! I would suggest parking at Boulos Parking 601 Commonwealth Place as they were cheapest option and a couple block walk. This hotel is non smoking without a pool. They allowed us early check in (12:30P) and gave us a room with a view of point state park area upon request with no fee. They use Gilchrist & Soames products. No pool. Pepsi products in the drink machines (yay! 2.00). Little coffee pods with wolfgang puck coffee with some tea in the room. They are undergoing renovation at this time and I didn't hear it but it was kind of scary walking back around the hotel with the soldering going on!!! They have a hotel shuttle to the casino (Rivers) free out front otherwise the casino offers a shuttle for 10$ with 10$ credit if you sign up for the Players card.The Business center has a fee to use the computer but they do offer free WiFi. I didn't eat or drink there but noticed Bananas Foster Pierogi on room service menu! Would that be Polish-Cajun fusion?

Room Tip: no smoking no pool Gilcgrist and Soames soap ask for a room with a view (even numbers)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Hello & Welcome!

Thank you for staying with us and for posting your feedback. We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed our view and our location and we are happy that our Front Desk Team was able to accommodate your early arrival. We actually are in the process of finishing up our pool. We hope to have it open by the fall. This will be a great addition to the hotel.

Thank you for your great feedback and for staying with us. We hope to have you as our guest again in the near future!