“Not a top 3 candidate, but food is good.”
Review of Istanbul Sofra

Istanbul Sofra
Ranked #8 of 2,391 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Istanbul Sofra has a casual, fresh environment with paprika and cerulean walls, colorful menus and sparkly hanging Turkish mosaic light fixtures. Outdoor seating on busy Braddock Avenue also is available, weather permitting.
Reviewed 25 July 2018

First off, there are several choices for people who do not eat meat. Yes, it is another Mediterranean restaurant that serves falafel, but many of the other choices were new to me. I had Piyaz as a starter which is a turkish dish that combines beans with parsley and other ingredients. It was filling and tasty. I had an entree that was a turkish variation of stuff eggplant, which was also good. We ordered a selection of starters for the children and some of them were excellent. Everyone in our party was happy with the food they got and pita bread was readily supplied. I wanted to order the deserts, some of which I had never seen before, but we were too full. If I lived in Pittsburgh, I would definitely go back.

Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

Had a family dinner on 21 July. Was very excited to visit this restaurant as all the reviews were very positive. Left pretty disappointed after our dinner. We ordered that lamb platter. Was very average and the meet was very dry. Waitress didn’t take the time to explain all the meat and sauces that were on the platter. She even forgot our bread! Very average Turkish meal. I’ve actually had better at less expensive kebab restaurants. Will not be returning to this restaurant.

3  Thank SteveColorado
Reviewed 16 July 2018

I review often on TripAdvisor and have come to rely on others reviews. So, on a trip to Pittsburgh to do a college visit to UPitt with my daughter, I looked up restaurants and this one had high overall scores- some not so good ones, but overall good. Anyhoo- we get to the place and it’s cozy and inviting with pleasant staff. The menu is nice and varied. The problem was the food. I love Middle Eastern food. The target market for this place is obviously folks who want the ambience, but not the authentic taste. (side commentary: you know how Chinese food in the US is completely different than in China? Yeah, that’s this place...) The entrees were tasteless and salt never even hovered past the plate in their kitchen, forget the spices known for this type of food... The salads were tasty- if you must go, stick with salads- can’t go wrong with parsley, lemon, and yogurt... the food was just not good enough for the price. I will never return.

1  Thank saishirl
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

They serve great food, including excellent vegetarian options. Veey generous portions, especially if you get the platters for two. Also incredible desserts, including rice pudding

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

While visiting Pittsburgh for the first time I took my friend, who is from the Middle East out for dinner for shish kabob. It was also Father’s Day and busy. The lamb kabobs were tough and hard to eat, really not good cuts or we’re not well prepared. Service was rushed. The tea served was bag tea flavor and not brewed tea that should be Turkish. Tea should have been served with a pot and glasses and cubed sugar. Disappointed

1  Thank lisawallin10