“Fun birthday dinner downtown ”

Proper Brick Oven and Tap Room
Ranked #23 of 2,471 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Proper Brick Oven & Tap Room is a beautiful dining and drinking establishment located in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh's bustling Cultural District. We serve hand-crafted pizzas from our wood-burning oven, fresh pastas, house-made desserts, 30 craft beers on tap, wines by the glass and bottle, and signature cocktails. We are independently owned, Pittsburgh-proud, and supportive of other local purveyors, farms, breweries and suppliers. Join us for the freshest food, best drink list, and warmest ambiance in town!
Reviewed 3 February 2019 via mobile

Interesting menu and interesting featured specials. Our group had pesto Pizza, the carnivore Pizza and scallops risotto. Waitress was very attentive friendly. She was a good server and was back to make sure that all was well with us several times during the meal. The restaurant does not take reservations for groups of under six. So, you can wait a while to get a table. But being as how we were in the cultural District there are several theaters and playhouses , 20 minute wait was not unreasonable. Some may consider this restaurant little pricey, but take into account that you're in the cultural District. Prices 4 meals will be higher here in town. All in all a fun dinner.

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed 2 February 2019

First time at Proper, and was initially very positive. Great hostess and servers. Appetizers were decent. Then I got my steak. It looked like road kill. It smelled and tasted even worse. Can’t believe the kitchen sent it out. I ordered a pizza and it was pretty good, but I am not sure I will go back. Trying to be fair but the steak was just nasty.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed 25 January 2019 via mobile

We were going to see the tempest at the O'Reilly theater and because it was cold outside, we didn't want to walk far. This was our first time at this bar and restaurant. We did not have the pizza (which is what they are famous for) but instead decided to order off the dinner menu. There is not a large selection to chose from but you should be able to find something to your liking. It is not a overly large place but it is worth checking out.

Reviewed 25 January 2019

My wife and I came here and our timing was perfect. We got in just before the crowd arrived for the upcoming Hamilton play. We ordered the hummus with the happy hour wine. The hummus was good as it always has been. For dinner we both got a different salad and a different protein. Both salads were good although her salmon needed to get cooked a little more and my chicken was a small chicken breast for the price. That would be my only negative. Her salmon came back cooked fine so that protein was very good. My chicken just was small to what I’ve had at other places. It was cooked very good and it was moist though so I enjoyed it. Probably why I’m complying it was a small piece because it was so good tasting. The service was nice too.

1  Thank Golferjames_13
Reviewed 17 January 2019

We ate at Proper one afternoon before a show at the Benedum. We did not have to wait for a table, but we did wait for food. The food comes out at different times. If you order Pizza, it comes right out, but other food had a long wait. my guest was finished with his pizza before my meal even came to the table. However, the food was good. The pizza was delicious.