“Diamond in the rough”

Add it.
Thee Olde Place
Ranked #717 of 2,429 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 13 February 2016 via mobile

We stopped on the way thru the area. We were pleasantly surprised by the food. The bar is a little dated but the staff was very welcoming.

Lunchtime was busy and the waitresses worked very hard to keep up.

I think it's a diamond in the rough. Lunch was delicious!

Date of visit: February 2016
1  Thank Five05

Reviewed 2 January 2016

My son and his new wife held their rehearsal dinner here which I paid for. first of all the left over food they were not permitted to take home even though I had paid for it, then a few days after they were married this place calls my son and wife at home to tell them, THEY forgot to add in the cost of the rental on the room they used for the dinner and they were looking to collect on that cost. Their wedding was catered by another place and I spoke to them, aside from the cost of the rental hall not being included because someone from thee olde place made a mistake, my son and daughter in law were not permitted to take home the food left over. The other caterer told me this iws not good business and the wedding caterer told them, they paid for the food of course they should take it home. I spoke to other caterers and they told me the same thing, the couple is permitted to take home left over food since they did pay for it and they would never call anyone after the dinner to charge them for a mistake they made. With that being said I question the reputability of Thee Olde Place.

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed 21 December 2015

Place was awesome with all the Christmas decorations, it goes great with the stary ceiling that includes shooting stars. Our party was consist of 10 people. I ordered the soup, tasty but luke warm and angel hair with meatballs, sauce was thick and it was average. The portions were huge. There was no complain from the rest of the party. Service was fine, waitress was very attenative and serve our food relatively efficient. Prices were okay not very costly. Will probaly come back.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 25 August 2015 via mobile

The only reason I rated this place poir instead of terrible is because I actually visited thee old place a few weeks ago with vo-workers for lunch and had a great experience.

With that being said I wanted to take my wife out since I enjoyed my last visit.

First the menu was completely different (maybe due to it being dinner instead of lunch) and the prices were pretty high. We don't mind paying a bit more in a local establishment especially when you get good food. This however was not the case.

The place was busy but not crowded. When we walked in the bus boy was cleaning a table for us, sat us, and brought us water and bread. After waiting awhile we finally met our waitress and ordered. My wife and I both got steak dinners with twice baked potato, salad, and soup. A few different people brought our food, the bartender refilled our drinks once and our waitress came back only after a long wsit for our check.

The steaks were overcooked to the point that my wife's was dry and chewy. She waited a bit for our waitress but she didnt come over and so we ate it anyway. There were 3 other tables around us complaining about the waitress and food. All the tables tipped the bus boy since he seemed to be the one doing all the work. After we paid the ladies next to use made a scene and the bartender (might be the manager) ran over and made it a point to say for everyone to hear that they are regular customers and will get their meal for free.

Well thr way we were treated we will not become regular customers in fact we will not be back at all.

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed 9 August 2015

While the place was a little hard to find, and the curb appeal is a little lacking (it sits right next to a tanning salon), this was one of the better meals I have had in Pittsburgh.

You have to walk through a bar that I am sure was filled with locals blowing off steam after a day's work to get to the seating area, that was small compared to many other places.

The waitstaff was seasoned, with my waitress old enough to me my grandma. But they were attentive and timely.

The food though was excellent and portions were generous.

A local gem that is worth the small adventure to find it.

Date of visit: May 2015