“This place should do the world a favor and close.”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Mount Lebanon
Neighbourhood: Mount Lebanon
Reviewed 16 February 2015

China Gate has completed its down hill journey. When we arrived, the “hostess” muttered some greeting to us as she barked out orders to the wait staff. We figured we should follow her when she grabbed a couple menus and walked toward one of the many empty tables. One section of the restaurant was dark and so full of junk it looked like they were getting it ready for a garage sale. We experienced the same slow service and lousy food as other recent reviewers. Both would have been much better if they had just microwaved some garbage and put it on our plates. Years ago, Mark Pi’s was a dependable Chinese restaurant - not anymore. It’s time for China Gate to say good-by. Please.

1  Thank SirNewtonH

Reviewed 7 December 2014

My wife, son and I ate here a few weeks ago and were very disappointed. The food quality was below average and the service was poor. All of the other Galleria restaurants had waiting lines of 30 minutes - 2 hours while China Gate was less than half empty. Now I know why.

I had eaten here a few times in the past and had always been pleased with the quality of the food and service. Not sure what happened but I don't plan on returning.

Reviewed 4 October 2014

My wife and I decided to try something new. We often go to the Galleria mall for dinner and a movie, and we were in the mood for Chinese food. This restaurant is located at the very top of the galleria and is not impressive. The seats were wet for some reason, the table was sticky, the salt and pepper shakers were dirty, and the menu is old and dirty. How old and dirty? Recently the restaurant decided to raise the price of soup from $2.25 to $2.50. Instead of reprinting the menu, they decided to just put white-out tape over the old price and write in the new price. The menu doesn't make anything look appealing.

I can't tell you how the foods tastes? Why? After we ordered our food, the waiter brought us fried noodles and a side of warm duck sauce. The noodles were good. The duck sauce was good.....until my wife noticed that deep in the sauce, there was a dead bug. Not a fruit fly or something small...a big, dead bug...with antennas...two little eye balls, and his ugly little legs.

That was it. We left the restaurant and told the lady at the front desk why we were leaving. She didn't fully understand what was going on, but it didn't matter. We asked her to cancel our orders and I told her we were leaving.

Sometimes when you go into a restaurant, you instantly get the feeling that something is wrong. It was a Friday night and there hardly was anyone there. The are a ton of open tables and there is even a section that use to be seating, but now is being used as storage for extra chairs. The restaurant feels old. The carper looks dirty. And the decorations seem out of place. I can't see what is in the kitchen. But I have the feeling you don't want to know what is in the kitchen.

If you decided to eat here and disregard my advice, just remember that you might be getting a side of bug, dirt, and grime with your meal.

6  Thank John M
Reviewed 28 September 2014 via mobile

Apparently this restaurant was bought last year and a new menu put in place. My husband and I were confused about the fact that only one other table was full on a Saturday night. Here is why I won't go back:
1-my dish was literally chicken fingers with sauce
2-the food was cold
3-the women's bathroom had feces on the floor. When staff was told they said "I know"

This used to be a good place but I am literally sick now hours later. Go down the road to sesame inn good food and no poop!

2  Thank shoebox8402
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Ten of us ate at ~6 PM on New Years Eve. Our service was not the best as they were pretty busy. We heard other diners complaining of extremely slow service. Our dinners came out 1 or 2 at a time over about a 10 minute period. Everyone was happy with the taste of their food. We had to go to the bar if we wanted drinks. Maybe this should be a 2 instead of a 3, but considering it was new years eve I gave them a 3. Probably would not return.

1  Thank George W