“Great BYOB”
Review of Black Lab Bistro

Black Lab Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Lab Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 110 Restaurants in Phoenixville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 22 March 2017

I have always passed this place when i drive through Phoenixville, so we decided to try it one Saturday night. We had a reservation at 5pm, but found out they don't take them between 5:30 and 8:30 so i'm glad we did because this place filled up quick, despite the rain outside. Our server was very nice, explained any question we had and had her other servers refill our water when needed. I do have seafood and nut allergies, so when we brought that up, she steered us away from a majority of the menu unfortunately for me. Turns out they fry everything in the same oil as the calamari, so that restricted me away from everything fried, like the duck spring rolls that i really wanted to try, but oh well.

I had ordered the onion soup, ribeye steak dinner special, and cinnamon bun ice cream sandwich. My wife had the lobster bisque, butternut squash ravioli, and pumpkin cheesecake. The onion soup wasn't too salty as most are so i loved that. The steak was cooked to perfection, and carrots were good, but my mashed potatoes lacked seasoning. The ice cream sandwich was more of a deconstructed/open faced one, but it was still good. My wife said her bisque was more cream than lobster but she liked it still, but she did say that her dinner felt like the dish didn't go together. Like the ravioli was sweet, but the cranberry hash was super sour, and ruined the ravioli taste, so luckily she tried it beforehand. But the ravioli wasn't as flavorful as she would have liked. She did like her cheesecake though.

All in all, we did enjoy our meals in general, and we are glad we tried this place, but we probably won't be returning because of the frying situation and thus lack of choices for me.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

We had Sunday brunch with a group of seven. The menu was varied, the service prompt, and the decor quaint.

The Montecristo was delicious, as was the egg, cheese and bacon sandwich with breakfast potatoes. The baked cinnamon bun was delicious, but extremely sweet, so best to order as a side dish as opposed to your main meal, as it is offered on menu.

Parking is limited on street, but restaurant offers parking behind the building. One caveat... if you enter through the back entrance there is a steep set of stairs. May be an issue for the elderly, as we soon learned.

Would definitely visit again.

Reviewed 17 March 2017

We went here on a Saturday night. We chose the Black Lab Bistro because it was the closest to where we parked. It was our 1st time here and we were very glad we picked it. The food was fantastic. My wife had the Scallops and I had the Braised short ribs. Both dishes were very very good. This is BYOB which we didn't know when we entered but that was not a problem for us. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 11 March 2017

This is a favorite for my wife and me. I view it as a symbol of the resurgence of Phoenixville. When I lived in Phoenixville in the 80s, there was nothing like it and I had to go to King of Prussia if I wanted to find a nice restaurant unless I wanted to splurge for eating at an inn. The Black Lab is one of many restaurant options in Phoenixville.

We went there for lunch and had the bisque to start. She had the Crab Sandwich and I had the Cheddar Bacon Chicken Sandwich. She had the Cinnamon Bun to complete her meal.

The food met our expectations, as did the service.

Reviewed 9 March 2017

Black Lab Bistro is a great find! Love their crabcakes and salmon blt... sad the beet salad is no longer on the menu