See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 August 2015

Where do I start. We went here for our 20 year wedding anniversary and stayed a week. We stayed in the cottage and wow how quaint! We love how romantic it was. There's a balcony off the bedroom upstairs that looks out over a beautiful garden and pond. You get to hear the bull frog and what a lovely sound! The inn keepers Bob and Elizabeth are such kind and personable souls. From the moment I met them I felt like family. They serve a 3 course breakfast which is tasty. Elizabeth showed me the rooms in the main house and they are just as beautiful and cozy. I look forward to staying in them in the future. We didn't want to leave when it was time. We loved it so much we took our 10 year old daughter back for a nights stay 3 days later to meet them. So if ever in the Gettysburg area give them a try. They're about 10 miles from center of town.

Room Tip: The Cottage is private and quiet!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
BettyJean10, Owner at The Barker House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2015

Bob and I are so glad you had a wonderful experience at the Barker House.
We do hope to see you again.

Reviewed 15 June 2015

While on vacation two years ago we stopped in Gettysburg to immerse ourselves in the local history. Unfortunately the government was shut down and so were most of the museum, but we made a promise that we would come back someday. On our ride out of Gettysburg we passed through a quaint little town called New Oxford and said if we ever had the chance to return, we would stay at a B&B there.
This past Memorial Day we had the privilege of staying at The Barker House located in New Oxford. It is the second oldest B&B in town, built in 1794, and it has been lovingly restored to its original grander. The Inn Keepers, Elizabeth & Bob, were kind enough to upgrade us to a large comfortable room with a king size bed and electric fireplace. I could have stayed forever. They were also extremely helpful in advising us on what local attractions to see and where to eat. Elizabeth provided us with a history lesson on the house including the fact that it had been occupied by Confederate General John B. Gordon. Bob shared his stories about his time on the U.S.S. Nitro and ammunition ship. We enjoyed our time sitting on the side porch with the view of their lovely garden and sharing stories. The Barker House even had off street secure parking for our motorcycle. If we ever have the opportunity to visit this part of the country again, we will definitely book our stay at The Barker House.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
BettyJean10, Owner at The Barker House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2015

Bob and I are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
We do hope to see you again. Looking forward to setting on the side porch and enjoying great stories.

Reviewed 9 May 2015

Innkeepers Elizabeth and Bob have an adorable place just steps from the roundabout in New Oxford. They will entertain you with stories about the home and present you with a three course breakfast. I stayed in the little cottage - listening to the sound of the water from the pond in the courtyard through my open balcony doors lulled me to a peaceful sleep. In addition to providing wonderful accommodations, Elizabeth and Bob went the extra mile when I left my sweater behind after checking out. They made sure that my sweater was delivered to me where I was working that day. They truly go above and beyond the norm!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
BettyJean10, Owner at The Barker House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2015

Barb;

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Bob loves telling stories, and he has quite a few.

I personally want to thank you for the beautiful "surprise" you sent.

Elizabeth and Bob

Reviewed 7 April 2015

My husband reserved a room at The Barker House as part of my birthday present. We arrived to a wonderful welcome from Elizabeth and Bob and were given more than an innkeeper's hospitality. The beautiful surroundings, the wonderful stories, and the history lesson were more than I could ever ask for! Besides that, my husband has an egg allergy. Elizabeth went to great lengths to make my husband a wonderful cake with no eggs! It's not often someone goes out of their way to make everyone in the party happy. We enjoyed our stay so much, I'm taking my daughter to The Barker House in a few weeks so she can experience this wonderful place as well! Five stars!!! - Brian & Bridgette Liddle

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
BettyJean10, Owner at The Barker House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2015

Thank you for the kind words. Bob and I really enjoyed meeting you. We are so pleased you enjoyed your birthday and time spent with us. We do hope to see you again as New Oxford has much to offer.

Reviewed 14 October 2014

We traveled with friends, another couple, to visit the Gettysburg National Military Park. We spent 3 nights at the Barker House, and could not have been happier with the hosts and the B&B. The beds were very comfortable and the house interesting and charming. Elizabeth and Bob are as friendly as can be, and quick to make knowledgable recommendations about restaurants and things to do. We had a delicious breakfast each day. The breakfast was so large, we skipped lunch every day. When I had a medical problem one day and stayed at the B&B while my wife and friends went to Gettysburg, Elizabeth and Bob were very concerned, and made lunch for me so I would not have to go out. They are just very caring people. The location was perfect for visiting the National Military Park, which is a short drive from New Oxford. We will sometime return to New Oxford for more touring in the area, and will stay with Bob & Elizabeth when we do.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends