“The Perfect Morning Spot in Lancaster”
Review of Coffee Co

Coffee Co
Ranked #5 of 23 Coffee & Tea in Lancaster
Price range: USD 7 - USD 12
Cuisines: American
Description: Coffee Co is a quaint cafe with a relaxed atmosphere that serves great coffee and food. Enjoy a large variety of espresso and non-espresso coffee drinks made by our trained barista. Take a seat and be served by the friendly waitstaff and have a great made to order meal any time of the day. Meals feature breakfast from the grill, homemade soups, fresh salads and tasty hot and cold sandwiches. Don't forget to check out the daily specials.
Reviewed 22 September 2011

On all the Starbucks napkins, you now find the phrase, "Real food, simply delicious." What you will love about The Coffee Company in Lancaster is that here, that slogan is actually true. This isn't just a coffee shop, though it looks and feels like one. It is small, quaint, and narrow with limited seating, not to mention that you might need a map and above-average navigation skills to find the restrooms. Yet, in spite of its size and design, this is not your average coffee shop.

On the final day of my business trip to south central Pennsylvania, I stopped in for breakfast. After a short wait, I was seated by a very pleasant woman who also happened to be a manager. After I made my way to my table in the back, I perused their menu, which was surprisingly extensive. I was expecting muffins, bagels and perhaps a donut or two. They had all those things, but in addition I found a full hot breakfast and lunch menu complete with pancakes, omelets, sandwiches, salads and more. I had the time and I was plenty hungry, so I went with the strawberry pancakes. Initially, I admit I was disappointed when I only saw 3 or 4 pieces of strawberry on the top of the stack, but I found out that first impressions aren’t everything. Most places that serve strawberry pancakes cover them in some kind of puree or flavored syrup with chunks of strawberries mixed in. At The Coffee Company, they actually cook plenty of fresh berry slices into the home made batter, imparting the sweet/tart flavor into every bite, which worked so well with the buttery sweet cake. Accompanying the pancakes were 3 slices of real crispy and not-too-salty bacon.

To top off my breakfast, I ordered a large cappuccino. This is where The Coffee Company lives up to its name. I don’t know if I was more impressed with the flowers artfully drawn into the foam or the fact that it came in what appeared to be a full-scale replica of the Daytona Motor Speedway. When they say “large,” they mean it, folks. Yet, while a superb caffeine fix, this cappuccino wasn’t just big, it was absolutely delicious. It required no “flavor shots” or sugar to make it palatable. The rich, creamy, and almost chocolatey flavor of the espresso and steamed milk took care of themselves.

The Coffee Company is ideal for a meal, as they serve lunch and dinner there as well. But, order one of their espresso drinks and you are quickly reminded that yes, it is still a coffee shop, and very good one at that. And, don’t worry about price. There’s no “mark up” just because espresso is served here. Stop in for a great food, great coffee, and a pleasant homey experience.

2  Thank exterior_corridors