“stay at this non-chain charmer!”
Review of Cork Factory Hotel

Cork Factory Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
north myrtle beach, SC
“stay at this non-chain charmer!”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

This is the second time I stayed at the Cork Factory, an independent hotel. As a Platinum member of most of the chain hotel programs, I had several other choices in the local area, but the charm and friendliness of the Cork Hotel brought me back--despite no hotel allegiance program! The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the free continental breakfast is a DEFINITE cut above most other hotels. The bar/restaurant is excellent, as well, making for a completely satisfying visit. Hurray to the staff and owners of the Cork Factory!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank jimatthebeach
Pam L, Front Office Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2011
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our property! Because we are locally owned and operated, we appreciate comments such as yours in recognizing our unique and historical hotel. Please visit us again when you are in the area! It was our pleasure to serve you!

Pam Lapp
Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I recently reserved rooms at the Cork Factory Hotel as overflow lodging for guests coming to Lancaster to attend a convention being held at the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square. The hotel is a beautifully restored factory building with spacious and comfortable rooms. Overall, my group had a very good experience staying there. One of our guests had trouble with a room key that didn’t work and then was sent to a room that wasn’t clean and ready for her. She went back to the front desk and was reassigned to a different room.

I live in Lancaster and so have eaten at the Cork and Cap restaurant a couple of times. The food is delicious and presented well.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CarolE_G52970
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Beautiful hotel with great beds but the lack of customer service overshadowed our stay there. Front desk didn't answer the phone or return phone messages, and rude bartender. Also, they close the bar early no matter how many people are there. This was on the weekend and the crowd wasn't rowdy!

Room Tip: Pick a room on the top floor. Folks who stayed on the lower floors complained about hearing every st...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sully222
Pam L, Front Office Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2011
I am so sorry that your experience at our hotel was not what you had expected. You had every right to expect your phone calls to be answered and addressed and unfortunately, that did not happen. I have alerted our front desk attendants to the issue you have raised and appreciate your bringing it to our attention. We hope you will visit us again!

Pam
Front Desk Manager
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Great restoration of a landmark Lancaster mfg site. Original brick, wood beams and stone. Hotel was quiet, elegant; restaurant and bar exceptional; rooms comfortable and spacious. Several blocks away from the Lancaster Brewing Company microbrewery. Will be back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunbern52
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Traveled to Amish country with two other adults and decided to stay here cause of the unusual building. Our week night stay (Weds) was discounted. Had a large room with 3 big windows, loft like feel and 2 queen beds. There were also 2 easy chairs one with large ottoman, very comfy. Okay the lamps there were the wrong height for reading but just nitpicking.

Check in time was 2 PM we got there about 12:30 and our room was ready so that was great. The room had a slightly musty smell (I am super sensitive to these things and this did not bother me at all later). This was easily corrected by opening the window. I read a lot about the staff not being friendly. I would not say they'd be my next bff but they were very polite and extremely helpful.

We reserved a room on the 4th floor as this was said to be the quietest. Also the super high loft ceiling was beautiful. The room was easily big enough for 3 adults to relax, chat and watch wonky old style tv (okay we were tired from travel). But I very much enjoyed being in this space.

I brought earplugs and was woke once by a truck from the factory next store. We did sleep with the windows open, I think the truck noise might not have been a factor with the window closed. This didn't bother me much but I used to live on a commercial street. My traveling companions did think this was disturbing. They also complained of the air filtration system going off and on. This didn't bother me. Would suggest ear plugs or white noise machine.

The light coming thru the blinds in the morning was pretty strong. I got up and put a towel over my eyes. If I go again I'd bring a sleep mask.

Also had to sign a paper on the way in saying we would be quiet may have been after 11 PM I didn't read it, works for me. Oh and no sneaking in animals ...

Tips - there is a small fridge and a safe in the armoire with the tv. Maybe it is just me, but it took me awhile to discover the fridge.
If you want to put anything in the fridge buy it on the way and bring it in, the soda/water machine just took money and no beverages in return.
If you want a tub I'd request it. We had only a shower which was fine. The bathroom was very clean.
There are extra pillows in the closet which was great for me but I had to contact the front desk to get an extra pillow case. Judging from the make up on the pillow I didn't use, not all my fellow travelers were that concerned with requesting the extra pillow case. Would have been nice to just have them all pillow cased up and ready to go :) Some folks complained that the sheets weren't soft enough in reviews that I read. I didn't notice this and the bed was really comfortable seemed firm with some cushy thing on top.

Although I was concerned with sleeping cause of what I read in reviews what with noise and lack of soundproofing, the light thru the blinds and the sheets, I still had a good night's sleep.

Looked at the gym, seemed basic but serviceable. I don't work out anymore so I am not the best to judge. It is open 24 hours with the room key. Only one ice machine and it is on the same floor as the gym ... forgot which floor.

The continental breakfast was a hit with my traveling companions. I don't eat wheat or sugar so if you have special needs byo. The fruit was very good though and for a regular eater plenty of cold cereal, pastries, bagels, yogurt (all with sugar), small containers of cream cheese and peanut butter. The coffee was good. Nice selection of tea. Also I thought the toaster available for toasting your bagel (or byo wheat free bread!) was a really nice touch. It was also nice to sit in the restaurant area with the continental breakfast, very classy.

We didn't eat at the restaurant so don't know how the food is.

This place is in the middle of nowhere without a car. Well I saw an English Pub across the street and the Lancaster Brewing company was a block or two away. With a car it is convenient to things in the area Amish country, downtown Lancaster, malls.

I enjoyed myself, found the room relaxing overall, liked the feel of the place and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Request 4th floor if you want to avoid overhead noise, plus really neat loft like feel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends