“Amazing”

and up
Brandywine Valley Tour with Private Driver
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: In 1906, industrialist Pierre du Pont (1870-1954) purchased a small farm near Kennett Square, PA, to save a collection of historic trees from being sold for lumber. Today, Longwood Gardens is one of the world’s great horticultural displays, encompassing 1,077 acres of dazzling gardens, woodlands, meadows, fountains, 10,010-pipe Aeolian organ and 4.5-acre conservatory. Longwood continues the mission set forth by Mr. du Pont to inspire people through excellence in garden design, horticulture, education and the performing arts, through programming that includes exhibitions, musical performances by leading artists, renowned horticulture education programs, horticulture research, environmental stewardship and community engagement.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My friends and I made reservations months ago for March 31, the opening day of the Gardens' tulip exhibit. Because of the late Spring, not much was happening outside, but in the Conservatory......walking through its main entrance was like what I imagine Heaven to be. Wow. The 4 acres of botanical displays definitely was a high-point of my vacation to the Philly area, balm for this Northerner's winter-weary soul!

Date of experience: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (3,866)
All reviews
in 57 reviews
"tree house"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Only had time for a short visit but it was amazing. The orchid show was in full bloom & there was also a room with just blue flowers. Displays were beautiful & the grounds looked interesting but did not have time to walk thru them. The docent was very informative & there is a nice gift shop. Would definitely stop here again!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

History, beauty, architecture, plants, trees, wildlife and soon the return of the fountains.......fantastic stop to explore the legacy the DuPont family established for all to enjoy. Highly recommend a season pass to allow for return multiple times. Not a place that can be found replicated elsewhere.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I had to drive my daughter back to UD after spring break, and we'd be in Delaware on Easter without the rest of the family. Wondering what we could do, my daughter had heard some friends talk about Longwood Gardens, so we decided to go. Earlier in the week, I was able to easily get timed entry tickets and enter with the scan on my phone. It was one of the most beautiful places I've seen, with amazingly breathtaking floral exhibits and exquisitely manicured lawns!! In the conservatory, there was a 4-piece string orchestra playing classical music that added to the ambience of the surroundings. I'd hoped the outdoor areas would be blooming more, but I suppose with the cold winter/early spring, the blooming period will be delayed. I look forward to returning early summer to see the outdoors in full swing!
We ate at the cafe on the grounds. The selection was impressive and the food was delicious, albeit a bit pricey.
Any age group would appreciate the beauty of these gardens. And wear comfortable shoes, because you'll get your 10,000+ steps in easily!!

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank Karen R
See more reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

It’s billed as the largest greenhouse in the country. I believe it. We visited in early spring, and it was still chilly outside but full of color in the greenhouse. When we were there, they were having Orchid Extravaganza and Winter Blues. Both exhibits were jaw-dropping gorgeous. The gardeners work tirelessly, and there are many of them. If I lived closer, I would definitely buy a pass so I could go often. The flowers, the colors, the topiary garden and whatever special exhibits they offer are very worth the entry fee. There are classes there and a very nice shop. I couldn’t stop taking photos.

1  Thank KayM506