“Best Mushroom Wrap!”

Portabello's of Kennett Square
Price range: USD 7 - USD 29
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Located in the heart of historic Kennett Square, Portabello's has something for everyone. Chef Owner, Brett Hulbert's menus offer tempting selections for lunch and dinner! Amazing burgers, artisan soups and sandwiches along with signature dishes which include, Firecracker Shrimp, Mushroom Crepes, Crispy Duck, Short Rib Stroganoff & Shellfish Fra diavolo! Come visit us...we look forward to cooking for you!
Washington, DC
“Best Mushroom Wrap!”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

KSQ (local shorthand for Kennett Square) is charming - it is also the Mushroom Capital of the World! Who knew? THis restaurant was tasty and cozy. There's also a great thrift store down the street that supports a great charity - pay what you can for whatever you find. We found a lamb cake mold for Easter - seriously had been looking for years for one. Great little place!

Visited February 2012

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“Good food, questionable atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I were very much looking forward to trying this restaurant since the new ownership. We like the fact that the owners support the local businesses. We made a reservation for a quiet romantic table, a choice that was given when we called. Our table was in a corner spot, but unfortunately the guests at the next table were loud, obnoxious, foul mouthed and I'll mannered. I know the owners can't control who comes to dine, but they were well aware of the behavior. There were no attempts to subtly quiet them or hasten their departure by giving them a check. They continued to engage in conversation and lengthen the time they were there. The food was good, menu exciting, but dinner experience ruined by atmosphere . I would be open to going back and hopefully have a better experience.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Brian D
Bear, Delaware
“Outstanding!!!”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I discovered this hidden treasure on a google search for an Italian BYOB in the area after a Longwood Gardens adventure. They popped up and sounded wonderful! I called to see if they had a reservation which they did, and what the corkage fee was - ZERO - I was sold! I went in and dinner was to die for, the blue cheese on the wedge salad and the bacon are out of this world! Prices are very reasonable for the wonderful food and the owner/chef and his wife who is also in the food business make a fantastic team. I felt like I was over their house and they were cooking me dinner, Brett came out and talked with us, what a plus!! Overall experience on this trip is A++
We went back with friends a few weeks later, which they also loved it a friend eating the duck, his favorite! Then returning again for lunch! The lunch menu is out of this world. So many choices and everything priced under $10! Very reasonable, the burger I got tasted like steak and was massive, it was served with French Fries (homemade) and they were great!!
I also bought my in-laws a gift card to go!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Kelly R
Ithaca, New York
“Not accustomed to serving solo clientele”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Attending First Friday in Kennett Square, I had done a winetasting at Flickerwood Wines across the street from Portobello. I asked the bartender if she recommeded Portobello and if I needed a reservation. She said going over earlier was better, as Portobello got booked up, but for one person, I had a good shot. I walked over and was greeted by a server, and asked for a table for one. He looked at me oddly and walked away. I was then, taken to the infamous "table for one" by the server station, near the open kitchen. Hint to management, I am educated, classy, and tip extremely well, for good service. I spent years in the hospitality industry and know what it takes to provide excellent service. You don't have to offer solo diners the worst seat in the restaurant! For my dinner, I chose the beet salad, which was more lettuce and buttermilk ranch dressing than beets, and the rustic noodles as the entree. A bit too al dente for my preference. The chef's parents were going table-to-table greeting guests and chatting, and when the father came towards me, the mother shoo-ed him away from me, to leave me alone. Nice! I suppose my opinion does not matter.
I was never offered coffee or dessert, just the check. Sadly disappointing. It would be really nice to find a few local spots in the Kennett Square area, where I could become a regular, and not treated poorly simply because I choose to dine alone.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank Krenkren
PA
“Definitely worth a visit.”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Stopped in to Portobello's for a late lunch after visiting Longwood Gardens (only 3 miles away) and was very pleasantly surprised. The outside of the restaurant was attractive and inviting but the interior looked a little "generic". The waitress explained that they were a BYOB but wine could purchases at the wine store across the street and Portobello's didn't charge a cork fee. Since we were in the mushroom capital of the US, at a restaurant named after a mushroom, we definitely had to try their signature appetizer, Portobello Fries -- long strips of portobello mushrooms rolled in panko and deep fried. Definitely one of the best things I've eaten in a long time. I expected them to be served with red sauce, but was again pleasantly surprised when they came with a horseradish cream dip. The chef/owner came to our table and spent significant time chatting with us about the menu and his vision for the restaurant, which he recently purchased in October. Upon the chef's recommendation, I ordered a pasta dish with his homemade tomato sauce. Again, phenomenal and probably the best pasta sauce I've had. The chef explained that it's the whole Italian tomatoes he uses that make it so good. We'll definitely be back.

• Visited December 2011