“Best tasting fish in town from the Captain”
Review of Captain & The Cook

Captain & The Cook
Ranked #6 of 51 Restaurants in Woy Woy
Reviewed 10 July 2022

I took my wife to our creative local restaurant Captain and the Cook.
We enjoyed the Sailor’s Chicken and Spicy fish. The fish had a wonderful flavour with crispy capsicum and a jelly type sauce. It was extremely fresh and left us wanting more. The service here is attentive and respectful. The waitress spoke clear and ensured that our order was taken to perfection. It is obvious that Mark and Nelson are the proud Restaurateurs of this fine establishment. The decor is exquisite and really sets the mood of this great culinary experience. Definitely worth going to if you have never been here before and well loved for regular customers too.

Date of visit: July 2022

Reviewed 15 June 2022 via mobile

Dear friends,
I have been very remiss. Those of you who know me know that I always express my views on excellent dining. Alas, I have been very busy of late and simply haven’t got around to writing the best review I’ve ever written.
First, a confession. Julie and I have enjoyed no less than half a dozen meals and probably a dozen take-always from Captain and the Cook on The Boulevard, Woy Woy.
Their food is an ambitious, and perfectly successful, fusion, of Indian and world dishes served in an authentically themed restaurant. Service quality is second to none - it’s not silver service but you will be made to feel incredibly welcome.
You’ll love the food! I have never, ever tasted Jumbo Prawns like theirs! They are coated in a gently spiced sauce but the prawns’ own taste comes through strong and true!
I should, perhaps point out that the restaurant is partly owned by my good friend Nelson, who, as the 42 delighted attendees from Killcare to Wagstaffe who came to the “Chaat” night I organised will remember owns Spices 29 on Blackwall Road in Woy Woy. It’s less than 50m from Captain and the Cook.
Nelson co-owns Captain and the Cook with Mark, who is an ex-Skipper of a commercial vessel, a lifetime friend of Nelson’s and who, every week, cooked for the entire crew.
Captain and the Cook opened at the height of the COVID-19 lockdown. Having invested in the real estate and done a fabulous themed refit, they couldn’t really open! But they held on.
I, for one, am incredibly grateful! We eat their food every week because there’s none better!
Give it a try. You will not be disappointed!
M

Date of visit: June 2022
Reviewed 12 June 2022

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, delicious food and amazing selection of drinks,highly recommended if you are visiting the Central Coast!

Date of visit: June 2022
Reviewed 20 April 2022

We had friends down from the country and were looking for somewhere local for dinner. We had already done a few touristy things, cafe's with warterfront or beach front views and the like, and decided to try something different. We all liked Indian food but over many years shad grown a little bored with the traditional rogan josh, beef madras, vindaloos etc which can vary greatlly. Found this place on Tripadvisor, it had good reviews and when we got onto their website a very interesting menu. Rang to book expecting it to be booked out at such short notice and to our surpise got a table. Next issue, where was it. I had never noticed the place in a couple of years of regular visits since we moved to the Central Coast. Armed with the address and Google maps we drove into Woy Woy, me thinking I knew where it was. After three times around the block we called the place and were givem better instruction - upstairs above a pizza shop with the main entry in an arcade. Talk about a hidden gem but it was well worth the effort. The food was excellent as reported by all, an unusual mix of Indian and what I would have thought were Middle Eastern influences plus lots more. We met one of the owners who told us the story behind the name of the business - he was the cook on a merchant ship for many years and his partner was the Captain. I assume thier worldwide travels are the reason behind the menu which has worldwide influences. I have eaten a lot of Indian over the years but this was a step above the usual Indian fare. With lots of other interesting meals on the menu I am looking forward to my next visit. They also have a large bar and a wide selection of cocktails which we did not try. The beers were reasonable and pricing similar to other restaurants in this area.

Date of visit: April 2022
1  Thank malcolmp53
Reviewed 1 April 2022

We had a fantastic meal here during the week for my husbands 60th birthday. A wonderful assortment of food catered to all spice levels and really nice cocktails as well. The highlight however was the tandoori platter, tasted so good and beautifully presented.

Date of visit: March 2022