“Pearl Dining in the Wollombi Valley”
Review of Panino Restaurant

Panino Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Wollombi
Price range: USD 10 - USD 42
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Italian restaurant and cafe located in a historic sandstone building with a warm and rustic atmosphere inside leading to a romantic terrace and rose-filled garden at the rear.
Reviewed 22 November 2018

Beside the unassuming frontage of Greys Inn in Wollombi resides the Panino Caffe. It is most definitely the pearl in the oyster of this historic and quaint township which is situated near but not of the Hunter Valley.

Owned by the Giagu family who have honed their restauranting skills in some of Sydney's finest Italian restaurants, Panino offers a range of services from coffee, morning breakfasts and lunch with a fantastic fine dining experience in the evening.

We booked for dinner last Sunday night.Tabitha, our waiter, made us feel as if we were a part of the family with her relational, relaxed and VERY professional style.

For primi we shared a carpaccio with shaved parmesan and white truffle oil, the flavour and aroma were classic and a great example of this traditional dish. Next we shared a plate of figs wrapped with prosciutto and gorgonzola; a mouth watering experience indeed.

For secondi I had the braised pork knuckle with butter beans and tomato sriracciha which was slow cooked and then crackled up in the oven. It was moist, melted in your mouth and was full of crunchy flavour. My mother had the duck papardelle with porcini and white truffle oil she said it was delicious and I was so drawn to the aroma of the truffle oil I had to steal a taste. I agreed with her. My nephew had the linguine with prawns, cherry tomatoes, garlic, chilli and parsley. I was recommended this dish by a friend who said it was the best dish on the menu. Andrew said the prawns were very fresh and it was on the hot side. This was a complement as I know he loves his chilli.

The atmosphere of Panino is modern with Italian resonances. It is quite intimate and would be perfect for couples. I think the next time I visit Panino Caffe it will be with my partner. I was particularly impressed with the service. Tabitha, our waiter, had the knack of being present only when she was needed. We didn't have to remind her of anything nor did she dither around and seek our approval after every dish. I guess it was obvious we were enjoying ourselves and the food.

This is a professional and well oiled business hidden in the Wollombi Village. It is open for only three days a week so check the website or book.

Date of visit: November 2018
4  Thank Andrew R
Victoria G, Owner at Panino Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2018

Andrew what a wonderful and extensive review! Thank you for making the effort to describe everything in such great detail, all at Panino appreciate your support! Hope to see you again soon!

Write a reviewReviews (199)

Reviewed 18 November 2018 via mobile

As a local in Wollombi I was thrilled when Panino’s reopened. We have several eateries in the Valley but Panino’s is the only true fine dining experience. Since reopening we have had several dinners and it just keeps getting better. The newly refurbished restaurant has risen from the ashes and is a testament to design and style with an ambiance to match. Comfortable relaxed fine dining. Bruno and his wait staff lead by Tabatha ensure you experience is enjoyable if not a little entertaining because after all he is a true Italian chef!!!

Bruno changes the menu up regularly and puts special dishes on when he can get supplies, we had the Kobe Steak and the Pork knuckle and both were amazing accompanied by the green beans and sweet potato chips 2 of my favourites.

Next time your in Wollombi do yourself a favour and book a table.

Date of visit: November 2018
2  Thank debrab587
Victoria G, Owner at Panino Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2018

Thank you both for your great review, we really appreciate your comments and loyalty!

Reviewed 1 November 2018

Panino has reopened at last after the devastating fire earlier this year. Fully refurbished and with a refreshed menu. Excellent food prepared, as before, with attitude by Bruno and served with charm by Angela and Tabitha . Great risotto, pizza and pasta plus a wider range of dishes including duck, aged beef, vitello tonnato and some tasty desserts including zuppa inglese (trifle) and panna cotta.

1  Thank PeterD2716
Victoria G, Owner at Panino Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2018

Hi Peter, many thanks you for your glowing review! I've heard the term 'invisible partner' but didn't realize it was literal. I'm delighted you enjoy our food and team effort in bringing it to you.

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

Has to be one of the best spots on the way to the wineries.

A must stop to grab a bite and a glass of wine.

Enjoy the historic village.

Date of visit: October 2018

Thrilled for the accolade! Than you!

Reviewed 16 October 2018

Whether you want high end food like a risotto, or prawn linguini, or steak and chips, or just a pizza or salmon wrap, the food served is excellent and good value for money. With breakfast and lunch during the week and dinner Friday to Sunday, you can get just coffee with marmalade on toast or a very filling meal, as well as an excellent 3 course meal at night if that is what you feel like..

Date of visit: October 2018

Thank you Elsa, really appreciate your input and comment.