The Denman Hotel Thredbo
Alpenhorn Lodge(Thredbo Village)
Candlelight Lodge(Thredbo Village)
Winterhaus Lodge(Thredbo Village)
View Hotel
Kosciuszko Chalet Hotel(Charlottes Pass)
  • Bar/Lounge
Alitji Alpine Lodge(Charlottes Pass)
View Hotel
Arlberg Ski Lodge(Charlottes Pass)
Marritz Hotel(Perisher Valley)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Perisher Manor(Perisher Valley)
  • Bar/Lounge
Perisher Valley Hotel(Perisher Valley)
  • Restaurant
All reviewstroutstaff were courteousgreat cocktailslovely hostskids menulovely place to sitfabulous restaurantpre dinner drinksduring high seasoncar parkbreakfast was includedeaster breaklive musica great place to staylast minute bookingwine listski runs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed for the first time this winter for two nights having previously experienced the fantastic restaurant.

They have split the restaurant into two now.. a lower end and an upper end. Both hit the mark for what they are and the upper end one is still fantastic. Great food, great service and not a complaint.

Breakfast was quite frustrating as both mornings upon our arrival (not necessarily late) many of the BF items had or were continually running out. The wait for more was unacceptably slow.

Our room (I think 306) was outside on street level. The room itself is fine - 3.5 to 4 star but the bathroom is 2 at best. Not clean enough and too run down. Very poor.

I won't stay here again but I will be coming back to the restaurant.

Room Tip: No your rooms... maybe some are better than others.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scottdamion
Reviewed 8 September 2011

If you ask me about Denman - I would say "Go!" If you want a really good old style - it's your place!
We stayed in Denman last week of August and would stay there again any time. This is an excellent place for a good snow experience for couples who love Thredbo atmosphere. Excellent location, good service, the best restaurant on the hills (The Terrace), what do you need more? Our room 111 was serviced and cleaned well, the bed was comfortable as usual and the view from the window as a post card! The Denman bar is one of the best in Thredbo, you can enjoy your drinks two steps from your room. We stayed in Denman in April 2011 for the first time and were so much impressed that booked another stay in August at once.
For people, who used to stay in penthouses at sea resorts The Denman is obviously too small, but we come to the village for cosy alpine-European atmosphere, and here is The Denman.
Talking about money? Well, I advise to check other places in Thredbo: there are some chalet for a couple of thousands per night with a bigger bathroom.

Thank you very much Judy for our best snow holidays in The Denman!

We stayed in the hotel in April 2011

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed at the Denman last week and were thoroughly disappointed. The rooms are very clean, but very dated, and most of the bathrooms are tiny - we had to stand in the shower to get enough room to close the door. And yes, as another reviewer has mentioned, the water temperature in the shower, was inconsistent (ran hot, then cold, then hot). Also the room heaters seemed quite undersized, and our room barely got warm. I also heard two other guests complain about the room heating and the hot water at Reception.

The food at breakfast was excellent, but the service was appalling. Every single morning people had to go in to the kitchen (no waiting staff to be found) to ask for plates, cups, more bacon or fruit etc.

Rooms weren't cleaned until after 3 pm each afternoon, and when you are a weary skier coming down from the slopes after lunch, the last thing you want is to have someone knock on your door at 3.30 pm saying "Room Service" when you are trying to get showered and changed.

The Denman is in a great location, but would really benefit from having a professional manager who could organise and train the staff. But at $300 +++ per night, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Amelia123Sydney
Reviewed 2 September 2011

My family and I (husband, myself, 1 year old and 3 year old) just got back from our 5 day stay at the Denman. We had originally planned to book an apartment but decided we would fork out a little extra and stay at this 4.5 star hotel, which offers buffet breakfast and a couple of dinners in the price, so that I wouldn't have to cook! A week prior we asked if we could check in early but were told we would have to sit and wait in the lobby until our room was ready (understandable). We ended up arriving at around 2.40 and were told we could leave our bags in the lobby area and that we had to wait 20 mins and we waited in the car. It was then 3pm and we were told to wait another 15 minutes. So we decided to sit in the lobby. My husband had to keep going outside to move the car because of the extremely limited drop off space (and practically no parking), so I was in the lobby with my toddlers who I gave pens and paper to keep busy. I told them to look out the window at their father and the owner Judy rudely told us to be careful of the window (my kids were barely touching it). My 1.5 yr old took the seat cushion down on to the ground and she told him in a mean voice to pick them up and put them back! I was glad my son doesn't understand English much yet otherwise I'm sure he would've been upset! How can she tell us to wait in the lobby if she is going to growl at us? It was around 3.20 when she finally mumbled something about showing our room and then when I went to grab the kids she had gone to a phone call, and another, and another and ignored me when I went up to her. About 10 mins later when I asked about the room she said another 5 mins. Not an easy wait with two toddlers and a pregnant belly I tell you! I really don't understand how Judy can suggest we wait in the lobby if she can't even handle a toddler lifting a cushion!? She has much to learn about hotel management. She finally told me the room was ready and to take the key. At that exact moment my youngest was running out the door and I had to catch him and she snarled 'are you going to take the key??' and I said I thought I might catch my son first!

Anyway I went to have a shower straight away and the water kept changing from cold to hot, it was very annoying! We had no shampoo, conditioner, soap, nothing! (i requested these and they brought them promptly). The robes we so hard and rough, soooo not 'luxurious'! The shower tiles had moldy grout, and the bathroom is much too small to dry yourself in!

We stayed in the triple mountain view room, which was meant to have a single bed and a king bed, but the king was just two singles pushed together which made a very uncomfortable bump in the middle. The photos had the DVD player up on a platform which we liked because the kids couldn't touch it, but it wasn't like this at all, the DVD player was on a side table so we had to remove it for the whole of the stay

I called reception for the room service menu but apparently they no longer had room service because they didn't have enough chefs. Bummer. When doing a final check of the room when checking out I thought I'd look through the bedsheets to see if the kids forgot any toys, and I found a 'Victorias secret' tag in one of the beds. This did not belong to us! This made me feel sick, thinking that they may have just straightened the already used sheets of the previous guests! Revolting.

Buffet breakfast was yummy though, although on two of the five mornings the vegetarian options were in the same hot tray unit as the bacon and ham, which is definitely not ideal if you are vegetarian, Muslim or Jewish! I didn't complain because in the end im the one who gets upset and I was on holiday so I didn't want a fuss. Advice, grab what you want ASAP cos for some of it when it's gone it's gone, such as the smoked salmon.

Dinner was yum too, we ate at the Old Pool restaurant. On the kids menu the macaroni and cheese is very very bland, my kids barely touched it. The minestrone soup on the entree menu is filling and yum according to my husband. I liked the fettucine. The trout was average. The fresh prawns were delicious, they are your typical prawns with aoeli sauce. The pecan ice cream sundae is yummy. Was a bit annoyed by the slow service on the last part of our second dinner, before I got to order my main the kids were already running about, I think the waitress forgot about us. But all in all the waitresses are very helpful and friendly.

No Internet here people! If you want to access their high speed Internet it is expensive and only available in some rooms, and the lobby. Parking is far away and it's up to you to find a spot if you can, otherwise you need to park at Friday Flat.

Our room (302) was good because rather than the door leading straight into the hotel it leads outside, so we had direct street access meaning we didn't have to go through the hotel for anything and loading the car on the last day is easier and you can avoid the crowd! The quicker the better when you have little kids. However our door was difficult to open, you put the key in and turn, and struggle for minutes on end, with toddlers saying how cold they are! They should get the locks fixed. I almost threw the keys away!

In conclusion, I do not think it is worth $400 a night ( what we paid for it). Even if the only improvement was to improve managerial approach to customer service and pay attention to detail (such as shampoos, soap, etc) I think this hotel would rank much higher in my books. In hindsight, I should have realized their carelessness when Judy forgot to send me the confirmation email upon payment. I called the day before we left to ask her to send it and then she did. In a 4.5 star hotel guests expect to be a little pampered, and unfortunately I didn't experience that. Have stayed at 5 star hotels for less than half of what we paid here and really experienced the 5 star treatment. Hotel management must act more humble. It wasn't an awful stay, and the things that I have stated here may seem minute, so it's up to you, and what you are looking for in a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Galaxxii
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed a few nights midweek.
Expecting what we saw on the website was our mistake. Really, how could an old run-down lodge (the denman was formerly bursills lodge) transform into 4.5 star accommodation.
Let's be honest, the denman is that 1960s lodge with a lick of paint.!!!!
Seriously, thredbo IS expensive, but they are charging way too much for what is offered.
One example, which displays how this place is 2 star: we arrived and a wall mounted ash tray, that was doubling as a bin was overflowing. This was at the main entrance to the hotel and the ski lockers, within direct view of a manned reception desk. The bin wasn't emptied for 4 days!!!!!!!! -you can only imagine what attention to detail happens behind the scenes.

I would only ever return if the rates were halved to reflect what they really offer.

The staff were 'nice', but so evident they weren't too caring for the livelihood of this faulty towers!

Room Tip: Mountain views best
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends