“Bitterly disappointing”

The Denman Hotel Thredbo
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Thredbo Village
“Bitterly disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

My partner and I stayed here for three nights in the first weekend of August. We chose this hotel based upon a pleasant experience I had here eight years ago.

I appreciate it's peak season but the quality of the service for the price is just not justified. We paid A$600 per night for a double room (US$660) and were expecting accommodation commensurate with the price. The Denman advertises itself as four star but fell far short.

The room was tiny. Indeed, It felt as though a normal hotel room had been divided in two. The bathroom was similarly tiny - In the shower it was so narrow it felt as though my shoulders were touching the walls on either side. As a hotel in Thredbo I could have lived with the size of the room but the very poor heating in the room was much more uncomfortable. The bed was also uncomfortable.

In general, the room was clean when we arrived however the housekeeping was very lazy - on one morning they didn't even bother to make the bed. The minibar was also not replenished.

Having said this, the restaurant at the hotel is fantastic and arguably the best in Thredbo. Although we were staying at the hotel, it was difficult for us to get a table on Saturday night.

My recommendation would be to eat at the restaurant (but make a booking) but stay elsewhere - next time I will certainly take a gamble somewhere else.

Room Tip: Not room 202
3 Thank hotsyd22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed for the first time this winter for two nights having previously experienced the fantastic restaurant.

They have split the restaurant into two now.. a lower end and an upper end. Both hit the mark for what they are and the upper end one is still fantastic. Great food, great service and not a complaint.

Breakfast was quite frustrating as both mornings upon our arrival (not necessarily late) many of the BF items had or were continually running out. The wait for more was unacceptably slow.

Our room (I think 306) was outside on street level. The room itself is fine - 3.5 to 4 star but the bathroom is 2 at best. Not clean enough and too run down. Very poor.

I won't stay here again but I will be coming back to the restaurant.

Room Tip: No your rooms... maybe some are better than others.
1 Thank scottdamion
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

If you ask me about Denman - I would say "Go!" If you want a really good old style - it's your place!
We stayed in Denman last week of August and would stay there again any time. This is an excellent place for a good snow experience for couples who love Thredbo atmosphere. Excellent location, good service, the best restaurant on the hills (The Terrace), what do you need more? Our room 111 was serviced and cleaned well, the bed was comfortable as usual and the view from the window as a post card! The Denman bar is one of the best in Thredbo, you can enjoy your drinks two steps from your room. We stayed in Denman in April 2011 for the first time and were so much impressed that booked another stay in August at once.
For people, who used to stay in penthouses at sea resorts The Denman is obviously too small, but we come to the village for cosy alpine-European atmosphere, and here is The Denman.
Talking about money? Well, I advise to check other places in Thredbo: there are some chalet for a couple of thousands per night with a bigger bathroom.

Thank you very much Judy for our best snow holidays in The Denman!

We stayed in the hotel in April 2011

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed at the Denman last week and were thoroughly disappointed. The rooms are very clean, but very dated, and most of the bathrooms are tiny - we had to stand in the shower to get enough room to close the door. And yes, as another reviewer has mentioned, the water temperature in the shower, was inconsistent (ran hot, then cold, then hot). Also the room heaters seemed quite undersized, and our room barely got warm. I also heard two other guests complain about the room heating and the hot water at Reception.

The food at breakfast was excellent, but the service was appalling. Every single morning people had to go in to the kitchen (no waiting staff to be found) to ask for plates, cups, more bacon or fruit etc.

Rooms weren't cleaned until after 3 pm each afternoon, and when you are a weary skier coming down from the slopes after lunch, the last thing you want is to have someone knock on your door at 3.30 pm saying "Room Service" when you are trying to get showered and changed.

The Denman is in a great location, but would really benefit from having a professional manager who could organise and train the staff. But at $300 +++ per night, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Amelia123Sydney

Travellers are raving about these Thredbo Village hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

My family and I (husband, myself, 1 year old and 3 year old) just got back from our 5 day stay at the Denman. We had originally planned to book an apartment but decided we would fork out a little extra and stay at this 4.5 star hotel, which offers buffet breakfast and a couple of dinners in the price, so that I wouldn't have to cook! A week prior we asked if we could check in early but were told we would have to sit and wait in the lobby until our room was ready (understandable). We ended up arriving at around 2.40 and were told we could leave our bags in the lobby area and that we had to wait 20 mins and we waited in the car. It was then 3pm and we were told to wait another 15 minutes. So we decided to sit in the lobby. My husband had to keep going outside to move the car because of the extremely limited drop off space (and practically no parking), so I was in the lobby with my toddlers who I gave pens and paper to keep busy. I told them to look out the window at their father and the owner Judy rudely told us to be careful of the window (my kids were barely touching it). My 1.5 yr old took the seat cushion down on to the ground and she told him in a mean voice to pick them up and put them back! I was glad my son doesn't understand English much yet otherwise I'm sure he would've been upset! How can she tell us to wait in the lobby if she is going to growl at us? It was around 3.20 when she finally mumbled something about showing our room and then when I went to grab the kids she had gone to a phone call, and another, and another and ignored me when I went up to her. About 10 mins later when I asked about the room she said another 5 mins. Not an easy wait with two toddlers and a pregnant belly I tell you! I really don't understand how Judy can suggest we wait in the lobby if she can't even handle a toddler lifting a cushion!? She has much to learn about hotel management. She finally told me the room was ready and to take the key. At that exact moment my youngest was running out the door and I had to catch him and she snarled 'are you going to take the key??' and I said I thought I might catch my son first!

Anyway I went to have a shower straight away and the water kept changing from cold to hot, it was very annoying! We had no shampoo, conditioner, soap, nothing! (i requested these and they brought them promptly). The robes we so hard and rough, soooo not 'luxurious'! The shower tiles had moldy grout, and the bathroom is much too small to dry yourself in!

We stayed in the triple mountain view room, which was meant to have a single bed and a king bed, but the king was just two singles pushed together which made a very uncomfortable bump in the middle. The photos had the DVD player up on a platform which we liked because the kids couldn't touch it, but it wasn't like this at all, the DVD player was on a side table so we had to remove it for the whole of the stay

I called reception for the room service menu but apparently they no longer had room service because they didn't have enough chefs. Bummer. When doing a final check of the room when checking out I thought I'd look through the bedsheets to see if the kids forgot any toys, and I found a 'Victorias secret' tag in one of the beds. This did not belong to us! This made me feel sick, thinking that they may have just straightened the already used sheets of the previous guests! Revolting.

Buffet breakfast was yummy though, although on two of the five mornings the vegetarian options were in the same hot tray unit as the bacon and ham, which is definitely not ideal if you are vegetarian, Muslim or Jewish! I didn't complain because in the end im the one who gets upset and I was on holiday so I didn't want a fuss. Advice, grab what you want ASAP cos for some of it when it's gone it's gone, such as the smoked salmon.

Dinner was yum too, we ate at the Old Pool restaurant. On the kids menu the macaroni and cheese is very very bland, my kids barely touched it. The minestrone soup on the entree menu is filling and yum according to my husband. I liked the fettucine. The trout was average. The fresh prawns were delicious, they are your typical prawns with aoeli sauce. The pecan ice cream sundae is yummy. Was a bit annoyed by the slow service on the last part of our second dinner, before I got to order my main the kids were already running about, I think the waitress forgot about us. But all in all the waitresses are very helpful and friendly.

No Internet here people! If you want to access their high speed Internet it is expensive and only available in some rooms, and the lobby. Parking is far away and it's up to you to find a spot if you can, otherwise you need to park at Friday Flat.

Our room (302) was good because rather than the door leading straight into the hotel it leads outside, so we had direct street access meaning we didn't have to go through the hotel for anything and loading the car on the last day is easier and you can avoid the crowd! The quicker the better when you have little kids. However our door was difficult to open, you put the key in and turn, and struggle for minutes on end, with toddlers saying how cold they are! They should get the locks fixed. I almost threw the keys away!

In conclusion, I do not think it is worth $400 a night ( what we paid for it). Even if the only improvement was to improve managerial approach to customer service and pay attention to detail (such as shampoos, soap, etc) I think this hotel would rank much higher in my books. In hindsight, I should have realized their carelessness when Judy forgot to send me the confirmation email upon payment. I called the day before we left to ask her to send it and then she did. In a 4.5 star hotel guests expect to be a little pampered, and unfortunately I didn't experience that. Have stayed at 5 star hotels for less than half of what we paid here and really experienced the 5 star treatment. Hotel management must act more humble. It wasn't an awful stay, and the things that I have stated here may seem minute, so it's up to you, and what you are looking for in a hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
#3 of 8 in Perisher Valley
Black Bear Inn
Black Bear Inn
#2 of 4 in Thredbo Village

Been to The Denman Hotel Thredbo? Share your experiences!