All reviews fondue continental breakfast shuttle bus stop european style veal wonderful stay make you feel at home family room two nights good size overnight parking ski area great family views of the mountains in house hot water would stay again
Reviewed 1 December 2015 via mobile

Had an enjoyable welcoming stay.

Very MTB friendly and excellent value for money. I will be planning another trip soon. There is parking and breakfast included.

The manager is very knowledgable on all things MTB.

Andrew

Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 24 November 2015

We arrived to book in (understood that it was a 2pm book-in) but thought I would check at reception. There was a notice that if unattended then dial "9". I did so and the call was answered by the manager and the call disconnected. I proceeded to call another 3-4 times but the phone was not answered. I subsequently cancelled the booking ( full well knowing that I would not get a refund). The manager rang my mobile about 2.10pm to find out why I had cancelled. He proceeded to inform me that he was out the back of reception having lunch hence would not answer the phone. If reception has a sign saying "dial 9 if unattended" then he would have an obligation to answer the phone. VERY POOR COMMUNICATION FROM THE MANAGER.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
JohnEDI, Manager at Candlelight Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2015

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. We welcome all comments whether positive or negative. There however does appear to be some confusion on communication. For reader benefit to see both sides of the coin and in reply, the managers perspective here is that on the day of check in we received three calls around 12 noon, two of which appeared to immediately hung up with us attempting to answer. The third time unfortunately the reception was not very good. The review made reference to us being at the back of reception. I’m afraid this was not the case. This area is a storage area and not somewhere one would relax for lunch. At 12 noon we were actually just 100 metres down the street in the village having lunch having finished earlier room changeovers. We returned to the lodge around one thirty ready for check in time which is 2pm. There certainly appeared to have been a problem with our telephone in this case and we analyzed it afterwards and found no subsequent fault then or since. For this tech issue we apologize. We are certainly not in the habit of ignoring calls and would have been more than happy to have checked you in early. Please feel free to take up an offer to stay with us again during this or next summer free of charge for the night missed recently due to this unfortunate misunderstanding.

Reviewed 8 October 2015

When we arrived to check in reception was unattended and we waited for over an hour for someone to check us in. We eventually helped ourselves to a room and grabbing our room key from the unattended reception area. Apparently people are "quite relaxed" to the point where the whole hotel was unattended for quite some time.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank josephdC2869ZR
John L, Owner at Candlelight Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2015

Thanks for the review but we are slightly confused seeing as we are currently closed for 2 weeks so if you are referring to an earlier period we are perplexed why the phone on the desk at reception with the sign on it saying "if unattended please pick up and dial 9" didnt get you some immediate attention. Keen to hear more

Reviewed 1 October 2015

Our family of four (2 adults, 2 children) stayed here for one night for a last minute day of Spring skiing this September. We arrived late in the evening and received a friendly reception. Our room was very basic but clean and warm and the views from the room were fantastic. It was great to have a room that accommodated all 4 of us together. Unfortunately we did not get to experience the dining room for dinner as that had closed for the season. The lounge room/bar looked like it would be an inviting place to relax in at the height of the ski season but unfortunately for us the bar was closed and there was no fire lit in the big fireplace. The kids did find the table tennis table near the sauna and enjoyed playing for half an hour after returning from dinner. The breakfast in the morning was very welcome with a choice of cereals, juice, toast and/or a hot breakfast. The lodge is very well located close to the central village shops and restaurants and there is a shuttle bus stop right outside the front door if you don't want to walk down the stairs to the chairlifts. Parking is limited at the lodge and you usually have to park at one of the main car parks. Luckily for us though, we were invited to park on the lower driveway as we arrived late and were only staying for the night. Having stayed at this lodge over 20 years ago, I would say that little has changed in the lodge since that time and it could do with a little updating. However, it was comfortable and friendly and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2015

This lodge is a winner. The staff are super friendly, with particular acknowledgement of Allison who made my stay memorable (to say the least). We were a family of two adults and two kids and so of course there were additional requests (as you do when travelling with kids) e.g. availability of dvds to watch and laundry facilities etc. No additional request was too much trouble, Allison was quick to help and always with a smile.

The lodge sits in a fantastic location and every room has an amazing view of the mountain. The rooms are comfortable and with plenty of room. The breakfast was fresh and hearty and just what you needed before a day on the slopes.

The atmosphere at the Candlelight Lodge was welcoming and friendly and run by genuinely nice people. I can't recommend highly enough. It suited my needs perfectly. I am already planning my trip back next year.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family