“May be the best”

Ranked #5 of 14 Quick Bites in Merimbula
Price range: AU$1 - AU$15
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Fishpen Takeaway is a funky fish and chip shop close to Main Beach Merimbula on the Fishpen Peninsular. We offer a huge dining menu including seafood, burgers, snacks, hot dogs, and more! Plus ice creams, coffee and drinks. We are open 11am-7:30pm everyday except Christmas Day. This is takeaway only however there are tables and chairs provided for your convenience. Some Gluten Free and Vegetarian options available. Phone orders welcome although may not be accepted during exceptionally busy times.
Reviewed 12 December 2020

I got into Tripadvisor reviews after feeling ripped off by a fish and chip shop in a seaside town that will remain anonymous. Since then I've been to many other take away food places all over the country. After going to Fishpen a number of times over a couple of weeks and ordering a variety of items from their extensive menu. I think I might have found the best take away in Australia and I'm a harsh critic. It is what it is, a take away, so I don't expect great service or sophisticated cuisine just generous carefully cooked fare in generous serves.

Date of visit: December 2020
2  Thank Tom H

Reviewed 19 November 2020

This is our go to for F&C but we really miss a GOOD HOME MADE potato cake (potato scallops to sydney siders).The processed, hard and unpalatble "fish cakes" are a big loser.

Date of visit: November 2020
1  Thank jacqui g
Reviewed 9 November 2020

Claims to open at 11am, got there and they closed the door and said “you will have to come back in 10 mins as we aren’t actually open and we are getting lots of orders” (this was at 11am). Opened the doors at 11.05 and almost seemed irritated to have customers.
Really disappointed considering we always come to this fish and chips a shop and it’s great fish and chips!

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 3 November 2020

Ordered battered & crumbed fish from here on several nights during a recent visit to Merimbula. I think the fish was Blue Grenadier(?) - moist & well cooked. Very thin batter. Chips & potato scallops (Victorians call them potato-cakes I think?) also very nice. Well done! Only criticism I would have is the early close on a weeknight - I attempted to place an order at around 7pm & was informed that the kitchen had ceased taking orders. Not all of us grey nomads eat dinner at 5pm!

Date of visit: October 2020
2  Thank gm256
Reviewed 31 October 2020

Food, delicious!
Service good
Range of choice, abundant
You can choose healthy or go all out and have deep fried heaven
I had a fish wrap and it was lovely
My husband loved the chicken burger.
Great value?