“Perfection and world class”
Review of Capella Lodge

and 1 more site!
Capella Lodge
London
“Perfection and world class”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This has got to be the perfect choice in a truly fabulous location.everything about Capella is worthy of mention, but will limit the review to saying we could not fault anything,we had a fabulous experience and will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pablouno

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London, UK
Reviewed 12 January 2012

What a great place... Everything was generously comfortable in our room, the food great in the lodge, the location the best on the Island, the manner of greeting, informing and stimulating the guests was impeccable.

Lord Howe Island is really beautiful, close to Sydney compared to most places and in good weather is just a Pacific treat. It is both relaxing and there is plenty to do if you like that sort of place & above all it is a stunning island - immaculately maintained from the water to the peak of the mountains, no keys on doors, no noise, no 'mass tourists'. The Capella Lodge adds to that by thrusting you towards stunning views by virtue of its excellent location and then pampering you in the most subtle manner.

Being a guest here is the most marvellous balance between being a hotel guest and being in a home situation with great staff to make everything available and flexible in the most relaxed manner. Nothing too much trouble, and in fact everything you would want has been prepared if you want it anyway. You don't sign for anything, you don't pay extra for many things anyway and the staff are just charming, clever, efficient and kind. How wonderful and admirable is that ?

We paid for our visit months before going, so the cost was not anywhere near my mind, just the pleasure and feeling that we made a great choice being at Capella and on Lord Howe Island. I don't recall what it cost and it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: I don't think there can be a bad room here. We had the biggest 'pavillion' and it was l...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DavidSW1
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We went to LHI for our honeymoon and stayed at Arajilla and Capella Lodge. The stay at Capella was amazing. We stayed at Lidbird Pavillion which is their best room. The room had a breathtaking views. The service was the best you could get and food was pretty good too. The best thing i liked about the resort was their friendly staff and flexibility in meeting customer requirements; nothing is to hard for them.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 10110106
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 9 December 2011

There can be nothing quite like Capella. Lord Howe is itself a gem, but the diamond is Capella. It is exquisite in a way I have never experienced anywhere else in Australia (though I love the country dearly): splendid service in a way unique to our country; always there but never obtrusive nor obsequious. The meals are fabulous and the girls pre-dinner cocktails are fantastic (or at least after two who cares). The architecture and rooms are so comfortable it is hard to believe you are on an island in the middle of nowhere; and the views are unparalleled on the island or almost anywhere else. Nothing is a bother for the staff and everyone is happy to do anything to make one's stay a pleasure in all ways. it is the complete package. If you want the high life this is not the place for you, but if you want a beautiful experience Lord Howe has it and Capella is the cream. Just don't ride bicycles home after dark - the island cows don't carry lights.

Room Tip: Just go with the flow . There are only 8 or 9 rooms and all are excellent.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pogee06
Gold Coast
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Lord Howe Island is breathtaking from the very moment you fly in over the colourful lagoon to the sad moment you are bid a fond farewell and leave.
Capella is the top jewel in this island crown – with its unmatched stunning views and isolated position – on arrival as I walked up the boardwalk to the front entrance after having been welcomed by Libby at the airport and shown some of the islands highlights, I felt a sense of calm, peace and joy, although the main area does not resemble my home at all, I felt at home.

The most wonderful teasured staff –Chelsea, Bree, Re, Bridget and Robyn, who know your name, even when you are meeting them for the first time and that includes the housekeeping staff who addressed me by name – a very nice touch, the staff work as a very well organised team, fully briefed and conversant with who you are, your likes and wants. if there is anything that you want, need or wish for, the Capella staff will endeavour to assist on all requests.

Libby the GM was/is and always will be I am sure, an absolute treasure, such a warm, personable and gracious lady who ensured not only I was treated as any guest is, but that I saw, learnt and lived the island to the fullest.
Joining me as my dinner companion the first night and kindly arranging for someone to join me for dinner my last night. Both ladies were fantastic, easy to chat with, extremely generous and kind to share not only their time but their knowledge and stories of Island life.

My first afternoon, not to let any daylight waste I grabbed a bike and headed off to do the Little Island walk - (I knew I could handle the walk but the bike was a little daunting) As I suspected the walk was invigorating and proved no issue but I must admit I had to push the bike at the last hill back to the lodge. The walks and trails are so well laid out you feel entirely safe striding out on your own or with a companion to breathe in every inch of this magical paradise.

Ian Hutton held a presentation on the Saturday night which was attended by most guests, one couple, advised me not to miss it as it was special. I agree I found Ian’s presentation extremely enjoyable, informative and I learnt much. I don’t think I will be able to use plastic water bottles again without a sense of guilt.

The buggy was available so I was able to travel all over the island checking out each nook and cranny, I enjoyed a fabulous glass bottom boat trip with Dean & Ken – I was very impressed with their level of knowledge, passion and expertise, a must do for any visitor. The Lagoon is so alive above and below. I feed the fish at Ned’s Beach and frolicked on Blinky’s Beach for a while before settling down for a bit under the big tree and table opposite the golf club, and my last stop was to share a moment with ‘Pixie’ admiring the view above the 8th hole over the lagoon, the town and up to North Head.

Bronwyn graciously offered to collect me from Capella so I could visit the visitors centre murseum which holds the most amazing array of Island history and take me on a walk the so I could see Balls Pyramid, which was sensational. Explaining along the way facets of island life and bringing my attention to many points of interest. Thank you Bronwyn there is nothing like seeing these visions through the eyes of a local.

The suites are lovely, I lazed out in Makambo Loft with its private spa pool and upper balcony looking out to Mt lidgbird and Mt Gower, all suites are so private and you truly feel as if you are the only ones around. Hard to achieve when rooms are side by side. And the attention to detail well, that goes without saying for a Baillie Lodge. (I found Southern Ocean Lodge thesister property just as dedicated to luxury and attention to detail) both extremely difficult to fault - right down to the back packs in the rooms so you don't have to carry excess luggage.

My compliments to the chef’s, the food was awesome I could not fault. Brad made a blueberry soufflé which was to die for and I have left instructions for the recipe to be emailed to me. The nightly cocktail is a great idea, and the canapés were magnificent.

I will be sharing my thoughts and experiences with all my friends, colleagues, strangers and who ever else will listen, in the hope that they will get to experience all that Lord Howe and Capella Lodge have to offer.

I arrived as a guest and left as a friend, I am blessed to have met some of the nicest people at one of the nicest Lodges in one of the world’s most treasured spots.

A definite on everyones bucket list!!!

Room Tip: Top pick would have to be the Lidgbird Pavilion, followed by the Makambo loft, Capella Suite of Lago...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank JanWGoldCoast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lord Howe Island
3.7 km away
Arajilla Retreat - Lord Howe Island
Arajilla Retreat - Lord Howe Isl...
#3 of 6 in Lord Howe Island
3.5 km away
Lorhiti Apartments
Lorhiti Apartments
#1 of 12 in Lord Howe Island

Been to Capella Lodge? Share your experiences!