“Good food, nice atmosphere, average service”

The Gunyah Restaurant at Paper Bark Camp
Ranked #9 of 33 Restaurants in Huskisson
Price range: USD 30 - USD 70
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Gunyah restaurant is the treetop dining room at Paperbark Camp, a peaceful bush retreat offering unique luxury tented accommodation just outside of Huskisson, Jervis Bay. Featuring regularly in the Good Food Guide, dining in the candle lit dining room is a highlight of a stay at the camp and the restaurant is also open to non-resident guests. Please note bookings are essential and the restaurant is regularly booked out during busy holiday periods and at the weekend.
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We dined at Gunyah on a Friday evening. Unfortunately the weather wasn't good enough to sit on the verandah but a table by the window overlooking the treetops was beautiful. The atmosphere was intimate with a welcoming log fire and comfy sofas in the middle. The menu choice is good and some nice specials too - the Oysters were delicious. The mains are a good size and the flavours are sensational. Pudding was a favourite- try the frozen chocolate moose with salted caramel and honeycomb- amazing! Theres a nice selection of wine and we felt for $200 for 3 courses with wine this was good value for the quality of food. We were slightly dissappointed with the service as the restaurant wasn't busy and it could definately have been more attentive. That being said, we thoroughly enjoyed our evening and would recommend to others.

There are newer reviews for The Gunyah Restaurant at Paper Bark Camp

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Food great and nice local wines. If you ask for a table outside you get great bus views, but it gets chilly at night even in summer. You can relax around the log fire on the comfy sofas.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

We visited Gunyah in April 2011 for my birthday. Due to the time of year the doors were closed to the tree tops but that didn't take away from the lovely evening we had. The meal, service and atmosphere were great. My daughter and I still talk about how delicious our meals were.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

We had been to this restaurant many years ago and had good memories of the place. The years however have not been kind. First things first - the location is great, nestled in the bush and the eco-friendly design builds some pretty significant expectations and offers the proprietors the best opportunity to do something special.

Alas, they have somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

We arrived to find there was no parking and we had to "go bush" to find a space. Despite the staff telling us that they would let us know where and when to move - never heard a peep back on this front. Then we were invited onto the deck for a pre-dinner drink, no-one came to take an order and my brother, dying of thirst, crawled to the bar to take matters into his own hands. So far, so bad. We then sat down to order (having to ask for bread and eventually to order food) little did we know how long we would be sitting - slowly getting hypothermia in the cold evening air (my wife needed a blanket).

An eternity to order, an eternity waiting for entrees. The main event was really the major let down - my sister-in-law and I had ordered the roast lamb. Now, call us odd, but roast lamb generally means cooked which was not what arrived. Initially we weren't sure and the candlelight made it difficult to ascertain - well done, medium or rare. One bite made it clear that the lamb was nothing short of raw - quite an accomplishment considering it had taken nearly two hours to arrive. In fairness, the waiter we had from 'Derry in NI did the best he could and took the plates back and was able to provide our table with the best entertainment of the evening when apparently the "chef" felt we had missed the fact that "roast lamb" actually meant "sous-vide lamb" or cooked in a water bath. In our world - raw is raw - and the menu should disclose the cooking method being used properly.

In any event we tried to skip through the rest of the meal as fast as possible to escape but did have lots of laughs at just how bad the food experience had been.

In short, Jervis Bay is a wonderful place and when wanting to have some interesting food and bush experience we can only suggest you avoid Gunyah at all costs. Go to the local fish and chip shop, grab some locally sourced seafood and sit down on a deserted beach with a bottle of wine. Better food, better value, better ambiance.

5  Thank BJ1973
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We were excited to try this restaurant given the glowing reviews. Unfortunately our experience was not as good as we were hoping. Paperbark camp is situated at the end of a wooded drive which I think only adds to the high expectation. Unfortunately when we arrived on a Saturday evening the car park was already full. Nowhere at all to park. So we had to leave the car perched precariously in a ditch next to a big scratchy bush. They have plenty of space here so I think a larger car park wouldn't go amiss. And would create a better first impression. The restaurant was probably half full and we were taken to our table - which was right next to a large group who were pretty loud. I have nothing against large rowdy groups of diners(have been part of one myself many a time) but we had been expecting a romantic meal - there were lots of other tables set for two that were free across the room. We struggled to have a normal volume conversation. And didn't really want to spend our entire meal listening to theirs. But the main problem we had with this place was that it was too cold. Way too cold. I may sound like a lunatic saying this - but I have have never been so cold inside a restaurant. The issue is that the restaurant was set up for balmy summer evening dining with all the windows open to the trees. Lovely if it had actually been a balmy summer evening. But it wasn't. People who had either been here before or who were staying at the camp were obviously one step ahead of us because they were all wearing coats/hoodies and wooly jumpers. Those of us who had dressed for indoor dining had to make do with fleecy blankets. So if you are planning to go dress appropriately for the outside temperature! Eventually they did shut some of the sliding glass windows but I had already shivered through most of my meal by then. The gas heaters on the balcony made outside nice and toasty but they could have done with some heating inside. As some of the previous reviewers have mentioned, service is very slow. I think if it had been a nice warm balmy evening we would have been less bothered by the 30 min gap between courses but for us it was too long to wait. Food we found to be very average - I opted for the veggie main which was gnocchi with Heirloom tomatoes. I had 9 pieces of gnocchi which I really did feel was a starter size portion. Don't mind small portions if the food is exquisite but it wasn't. The duck was unexciting. Desert was OK - in fact probably the best course out of the three. Price-wise it was similar to our local bistro in Sydney, not scandalous but given the quality of the food we experienced not good value either. On a positive note, the restaurant is in a lovely atmospheric location and the friendly staff were quick to set up one of the heaters outside for us to enjoy a pre-dinner drink on the terrace. Had been toying with the idea of a weekend away at Paperbark camp at some stage but unfortunately don't think we'll be back.

3  Thank MelBath