“Fun offbeat restaurant 100 meters from the Bluewater”

Treehouse on Belongil
Ranked #7 of 194 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Fun offbeat restaurant 100 meters from the Bluewater”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Breakfast is sketchy but lunch and dinners were excellent at this funky little joint just a few minutes walking from the Bluewater on the Beach cottages. We enjoyed it several times during our 11 day stay.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Marshall S

Hamburg, Germany
“the maitre d' threatened me with violence-hilarious!!!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

In twenty three years of hospitality industry experience, I thought that I had a fairly good idea about how bad service occurs, and why.
I was in no way prepared for my evening at Treehouse on Belongil however.
This represented an all time low in customer relations, and could be in my estimation used as a case history in how NOT to deal with customer complaints.
We had eaten at Treehouse on Belongil earlier in the week and found the food to be tasty and well prepared (if somewhat expensive), the cocktails a little weak, (and so again by definition, pricy), service disjointed,(tunnel vision on the part of the floor staff), but location
considered, worth another visit.
It being Saturday, the restaurant was busy, and we struggled to find a host/ess to seat us.
Having finally been directed to "the man in the hat" for seating, we were left at the bar to order our pre-dinner drinks.
Unfortunately we had been motioned towards the bar and had in fact sat in chairs placed in front of the bar service area and so moved to alternative ones, but were then seated without drinks at a restaurant table.
A waitress arrived with our Mojitos and placed them on the uneven surface of the table, and as I touched my glass, it immediately toppled over on the warped wooden spars.
I attracted the maitre'd's attention and explained to him what had happened in as conciliatory a manner as possible, however he seemed disinterested at best.
When he replaced my drink, he informed me that he would only charge me 50% for it's replacement!
Perhaps it was the waitress' first night, and she didn't realise the precarious nature of the table's surface, perhaps not...
In any case the maitre d's' response left me dissatisfied.
Another waitress brought my replacement cocktail and when I detailed my concerns to her, she could not have been more helpful, in fact I thought she may have been the owner, such was her response,(she comped us a couple of beers).
Our pizzas duly arrived, and as we were tucking in, so did "the man in the hat..."
His demeanour was not one of a food industry professional bidding us 'bon appetit!',
oh no.
He posed the rather confrontational question, "I hear you have a problem with me?"
We wished to be left to enjoy our meal unmolested, and asked him, "please, we can discuss this after we have eaten, thank you."
My partner had been left particularly shaken by his maraudings, and now found herself with appetite, quite crushed!
Deciding that this was not how we chose to spend our evenings, and dollars, my partner sought redress from said titferist @ the waitress station.
I instinctively foresaw an unsatisfactory outcome to the situation, so decided to make a little mischief, and a brief 'home movie'.
Approaching with my camera subtly held low, I attempted to capture the scene as it developed.
My partner was politely explaining to the maitre d' that his actions had ruined our enjoyment of dinner, and that he really did have a very unfortunate manner when addressing customer complaints.
I was attempting to get this amusing vignette on film, when a colleague of his approached me saying words to the effect of "we don't like you filming us" to which I replied "why, are you ashamed?" "The man in the hat" (for it was he!) then stepped in saying "I'll speak to the camera, are you having a good time camera? would you like us to call the cops?maybe we'll just take you down and skiz the fu@k outta ya."
My reply was, "maybe you should go and get about ten of your pals to make it fair".
These hollow threats certainly didn't bother me, however when we left we summoned the police on principle.Antisocial behavior has no place in a restaurant!
Having read other bad reviews on Tripadvisor, regarding Treehouse on Belongil, it would seem that it is not the first time that this individual's excesses have ruined a customer's day, and damaged his employer's business.
Such outrageous conduct would see disciplinary proceedings enacted in the UK, and would possibly result in prosecution for threatening behavior.
It's a quirky place that could with the right sort of management be really something, and it seems a great shame that it is being dragged down by a lack of basic common sense professionalism.

• Visited February 2012
4 Thank maninasuitcase
Australia
“CELEBRATE!!”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We love to come to the Treehouse for our celebrations. The environment and patrons are an eclectic combination, the seating gives us a feeling of privacy among others, the food is drop dead delicious. From pizza to pasta and points in between, this is a great spot to find. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to be cloaked in a sense of indulgence.

Visited October 2011
Tauranga, New Zealand
“best dining environment in Byron”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Great indoor or outdoor casual dining under the trees and over the road from the beach. Menu is quite small but everything we tried over 3 visits was very nice.

• Visited February 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Love this place! Coolest vibe”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This cafe/restaurant has the coolest vibe! It is so welcoming and cruisey and so in-line with the goodness of Byron! They have live music most nights (good music too!) and it is such a nice place with friends or as a couple or family! The wood-fired pizza is fresh and awesome with a large range of toppings.
You MUST try the 'red dragon ginger beer' it is only made up in Byron and I have only seen it sold here at the Treehouse!

Breakfast here is very small but popular with people walking up the beach from Byron for their coffees, muffins and chai. It is awesome!

A must come too for breakfast, lunch or dinner!!
Dinner is very very busy and popular, so booking a table is a good idea!

Visited January 2012