“Rare professionals in busy Byron Bay!”

St. Elmo Dining Room and Bar
Ranked #21 of 219 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fabulous menu featuring traditional Spanish food; courteous, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable wait staff, great atmosphere, reasonable prices. A great venue for any occasion in one of the best spots in the whole of Australia - Byron Bay.
Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

I get that Byron Bay hospitality infrastructure gets swamped at this time of year, and that there just isn't the capacity at times to fit people in. These guys are absolutely masters of their craft, and not just the food, which is to die for!

My partner and I came to Byron for the week. We are not shy when it comes to indulging on holidays, and are both well travelled professionals.

We tried to get into all the top rated dining establishments during our stay, St Elmos were the only ones to actually call back on waiting lists...3 times before we eventually got in tonight 1st Jan 2017.

The staff were obviously all stuffed after the NY onslaught, but the food, service and amazing wine was the best I have had anywhere in the world.

Way to go guys! Keep it up! You should be #1 in Byron

Reviewed 31 December 2016

St Elmos was our favourite restaurant in Byron but we don't think we'll be back. We booked a table for 8th 29 Dec 16. We turned up spot on 8th. There was about 8 people waiting on the footpath outside the restaurant waiting to be seated. When we were served, we were told "we are setting your table now and it will be 2 minutes." We asked if we could sit at the bar while we were waiting, the waitress said no, we have people coming soon - when I booked the restaurant I was told we are welcome to sit at the bar and dine but they don't take bookings for the bar (stools)????????
So we did stood outside the restaurant on the footpath waiting for our table. About 5 minutes went past, and we noticed our table was set. The waitress was busy but left us standing outside for another approximately another 5 minutes.
Inside this place has lost it ambiance. Too many tables now crammed in and it's not a restaurant atmosphere anymore, more like a food court or bistro, way too loud! We were never comfortable. Service inside has definitely slipped with our waitress forgetting us twice, 1 when we asked for pepper and 2 when we asked for the bill. No tip on this occasion. Frankly we wanted to get out as quickly as possible. Food was OK overall.
Dissapointing St Elmos, I think too many tables, not enough staff and too many bookings .

1  Thank longshaft
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

On my third visit to St. Elmo over a couple of years I really wanted to like it. The place looks cool and you can't really beat that indoor/outdoor vibe. However, once again I was left feeling blah. Staff are nice, but not efficient. Food arrived before drinks both at the beginning and at dessert.

Some no no's in the world of good customer service made an unwelcome appearance: when I questioned why my fig and goat cheese curd salad had no cheese I was eventually and bizarrely told that the chef had put cheese in it but I would not be charged for the dish (loved being basically called a liar).

The ceviche was over macerated, the patatas undercooked, the tomato bread lacked depth of flavour and the brisk presented like a bowl of dog food.

The wine was good though!

Reviewed 22 December 2016 via mobile

Nice ambience and very trendy. Food is nice but the tapas portions are quite small, hard to justify price. Service wasn't very smooth, hard to get someone to look after you and slow, but they were friendly.

Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

All we wanted was a couple of cocktails at 9.30pm at night. Was told they were "closing" even though there must have been 60 people still in the restaurant? Elitist, pretentious and obviously not keen on customer service. Never going back.