We spent a weekend in this lovingly restored manor house and quite pleased with the property and its common areas. Everything from the surrounding grounds, the hotel's facade, the beautiful and cosy common rooms and fireplaces, the amenities on the properties, all help to make you feel right at home and comfortable whilst staying here. If only the rooms lived up to the quality of the rest of the hotel.
The hotel has a lot of things to offer. There is a billiards room, a small, yet suitable fitness centre, the golf course next door, lovely walking areas, a nice restaurant and friendly efficient staff. We made sure to spend a lot of time in the large reading rooms with its 2 open fireplaces as well, as this made the whole experience very cosy and comfortable for us to relax in during the cold rainy days.
We had upgraded to the Elms Balcony room, since other reviews had complained about the size of the other rooms. We were sufficiently satisfied with the size of the rooms. However, there were a few things worth noting that we weren't too happy about in this room. The beds were not true king beds, but king singles pushed together. This made the night sleep uncomfortable for a couple that aren't used to sleeping separated during the night. The ditch in the middle made it uncomfortable. Plus the bed tended to move away from the wall, as it wheeled away from it due to certain movement. The TV was awkwardly situated in front of one of the wardrobe doors, which isn't too big a deal but something not seen before in similar standard hotels. The shower area was poorly designed. Water leaks everytime the shower is used, due to the gap between the door and the glass wall. We had also noticed that the cleaning was quite haphazard. Let's just say not all the hairs were cleaned in the toilet. Finally the cheap iron provided in the room made ironing a worse chore than it already is. The heat generated from the iron meant that you had to iron over the same area 4 times to get the majority of the wrinkles out. Even then I still wasn't satisfied the shirt had been ironed properly.We were a little surprised as well, that we shared our balcony with the other guests. So you will want to draw your curtains to ensure people don't walk passed your room and see inside it. Perhaps the most disappointing part of our room was the lack of a view. We looked directly at a shed. We had to walk down passed the other guest's rooms to see a proper view, whilst always making sure we didn't turn and look into the other guest's windows. Overall the other aspects of the room was fine. There were basic amenities supplied, tea and coffee making facilities and a desk.
The hotel is situated in a nice private area of Bowral, but still within an easy drive to the main town centre. Had the rooms not been a disappointment, then we would have given this hotel a higher rating than we did. Perhaps our expectations of the Elms Balcony room were a little higher than what was experienced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reflecting the style and elegance of the original homestead, Peppers Craigieburn was originally built in 1887 and welcomed its first guests in 1909, with 2009 marking 100 years of exquisite stays, service and food. Within easy reach of Sydney, Canberra and the coast, Peppers Craigieburn is set in an area renowned for its national parks, antique shopping and cool climate wines ultimately offering an idyllic and relaxing escape. The retreat boasts 72 guest rooms spread across two wings with a selection of rooms featuring either views of the golf course or the landscaped gardens while premium accommodation includes an airy shared balcony with views designed for relaxation. All rooms include central heating, flat screen television, tub chair, minibar fridge, tea/coffee-making facilities, ensuite bathroom with shower, hairdryer, shampoo and toiletries, iron and ironing board and high speed wireless internet. A new dining experience awaits you with the opening of Hickory's Restaurant and Bar. Overlooking the original 9 hole golf course and offering a relaxed atmosphere and local produce inspired menu promises something for everyone's taste. The retreat offers an idyllic and relaxing escape. Set on a picturesque country estate, this fully refurbished grand country home features its own private nine-hole golf course, billiards room and tennis courts. When visiting Bowral and the Southern Highlands, you will be inspired by the beauty of the local area. Highland fresh air, fresh produce and friendly locals will ensure your stay at this retreat is one to be remembered. Maintenance Notice: Please note maintenance work is being carried out in the ELM’s Wing of the hotel due to installation of Air Conditioning until the 31 March 2017, with work taking place on week days from 8am – 4pm, during which time there may be some disruption to guests. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, Booking.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, Agoda, lastminute.com.au, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Odigeo so you can book your Peppers Craigieburn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peppers Craigieburn Hotel Bowral
- Craigieburn Hotel Bowral
- Peppers Craigieburn Bowral