Alstonville Country Cottages
Tallaringa Views(Alstonville)
USD 177
  • Spa
TripAdvisor
All reviewseach cottagerainforest walkcountry feelfire pitfeeding the animalswonderful hostsswimming poolgreat spotballinapropertyhenhousedrivewayaccommodation
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

Hubby and I recently visited this lovely place on the side of the plateau.
There are 6, I believe, cabins which are nestled away from each other. There is a pool which we used once, only due to the weather.
Our cabin was in a spot over looking the paddock next door. Every day, we watched those cows and it was incredibly relaxing. We even gave them names, especially the calf that almost did a faceplant down the slope.
The cabins are comfortable and very clean. Ours, unfortunately had a bad WiFi connection and mobile data was patchy. (We had to walk up the driveway to get better reception and contact family).
The main bedroom doesn't have a wardrobe so some clothes had to be hung in the second bedroom. We couldn't see the sea, but that wasn't a problem for me.
The grounds are diligently kept and it looks like a lot of work for the caretakers. What friendly warm people! We couldn't find the horse and donkey when we looked, but they may have been in an adjacent field and we wouldn't have seen them.
The cemetery up the road, was not a problem for us..in fact when the wind gusted through our cabin, slamming the door, we acknowledged that we had a ghostly visitor and said "hello" to it.
If you ever get a chance to stay here, do. The minor inconveniences like the technical ones we had, just make you look for other amusements. I got through 2 books, which I've been meaning to read for a couple of years.
Thanks for having us guys...it was a memorable stay.
P. S. Bring mozzie spray and citronella candles, if you want to sit outside... especially if your cabin is close to the creek.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2017

We recently stayed here for the 5th time while visiting our grandchildren in the area.
it is perfect ,the kids love feeding the animals & running around,the pool is great & well maintained.
The cottages are very clean & well set out for families & the barbeque makes for an easy dinner.
will definitely stay here again next visit.
Thank you Caroline & Duncan for your hospitality.

Room Tip: All cottages are lovely but cottage 1 has a spa bath
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Very relaxing, quiet and comfortable cottage we saw ...friends from the UK stayed there, and very impressed, as were we.....the hosts were friendly, and accommodated our request for a "private" function....well done to all!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Recently did a Xmas in July here for about 10 couples. Perfect venue. Obliging hosts, adequate rooms, excellent pizza oven and communal kitchen area and a wonderful bonfire pit. Happy to recommend Alstonville Cottages.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2017

I just made a $230 mistake.

My family are planning to visit friends in the Lismore area in July.

I looked around and decided that Alstonville Country Cottages was the best option near our friend's house, and booked a cottage last Sunday through booking.com. The booking was for mid-July (two months away). I was pleased with the booking and the location.

I used booking.com because I've used them many times for bookings in Asia and Europe and particularly like the reassurance of zero-cost cancellation up until a given date. Soon, Alstonville Country Cottages emailed asking confirmation on the number of adults and children (I'm not sure why, but they're clearly on the ball with email). Late on Sunday evening, I called our friends to confirm our visit. However, they had news---they were moving house in June, away from Alstonville, and moreover their new house would have plenty of room for us, and wanted us to stay with them. So, first thing the next morning, I cancelled the booking. To my surprise, I was hit with a $230 charge (one night's stay), despite cancelling within 24hrs, and despite it being two months before the visit. I was very surprised because I had not seen the cancellation fee when I made the booking (and was familiar with zero cost-cancellations on booking.com). I don't think this cancellation was skin off the nose of the hotel given it was so far in advance, made on Sunday afternoon and cancelled 7:30am Monday morning.

I emailed Alstonville Country Cottages explaining the situation, but received no reply.

They may be a nice place to stay, but they're not being gracious about this.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family