“Can be superb ...when the waiting staff allow ”

Driftwood Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Rosevine
Price range: USD 59 - USD 145
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We could go on, but let's leave that to the Guide Books. Come and experience Driftwood's Michelin Starred Restaurant for yourself. There are no extravagant promises, only a guarantee of the freshest, finest food, served with stunning views across the sea. When the weather is warm we light hurricane lamps on the deck to enjoy pre-dinner drinks and after dinner coffee.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

See my hotel review as it is important to take the Hotel and Restaurant comments together .
The restaurant offers superb food well worthy of its Michelin Star but the restaurant staff can Let down as mentioned in my Hotel Review .

2  Thank johnworrall3
Paul R, Owner at Driftwood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Please see my response under the Hotel

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Return visit to Driftwood. We had a super food experience. Starter of pork jowl followed by superb 40 day aged beef, best I've ever tasted with some smoked bone marrow - pefrect accompanyment. Desert probably weakest part - too much chocolate. Overall really classy, contrary to recent reviews service was fine. Wine prices were very fair for this type of establishment. Best meal by far during our week in Cornwall. We will return.

Thank you, that is very kind and we look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 3 September 2018

My wife and I were visiting Cornwall for a few days and had to fit in a Michelin-starred restaurant so we had a dinner booking at Driftwood.

The location is sublime, with gorgeous views, and the interior hits the perfect note of relaxed formal and elegant sea-side vibes.

The food was very impressive. Every dish was delicious, particularly the fish courses, and had a multitude of influences from Greek to Cornish to Japanese, executed brilliantly.

This would have been a five-star review had it not been for the fact that the service was a little too relaxed - we had quite long waits in between plate clearing or wine/water glass refills.

1  Thank OAH_1982
Paul R, Owner at Driftwood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Thank you, I am delighted that you enjoyed the food, we do and try and be relaxed and dinner here should be a leisurely affair but I will have a word with the team, we don't want to be too relaxed! I hope we will see you again..

Reviewed 28 August 2018

First the good news! The food at the Driftwood is excellent, it is well cooked and presented, and is worthy of recognition. Unfortunately we did not think it was worthy of its Michelin star. We have dined at a large number of Michelin starred restaurants and without exception, until dining here, the service has been an impeccable integral part of the experience. The waiting staff were all very friendly, possibly too much so, but the service was slow and haphazard, items left uncleared away, courses coming out slowly etc. Quite often the "maître d'" seemed to be coming to the random assistance of the other staff when he spotted things were awry. It just seemed that there were not enough staff, and they didn't seem sure what they were doing. We would have thought there is a real danger of them losing their star if the front of house team don't rise to the level of the kitchen team. Such a shame.

1  Thank doc50
Paul R, Owner at Driftwood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2018

Thank you, you were kind enough to call and we have since spoken and I hope we will see you another time

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

Driftwood is your stereotypical Michelin starred restaurant, both good and bad.

First the good. The food was expertly prepared and presented. Started with some canapés and a steak tartare one was fantastic.

My starter was good but not great. The host raved about the scallops, and while they were nice I did not find them exceptional.

What I did find exceptional was my main, a rare fillet steak. The beef was wonderful and presentation brilliant.

On the down side, I found the service overly formal. Everyone acted as if we were in Paris or Monte Carlo rather than Cornwall overlooking the water (by the way, incredible views). The Michelin star restaurants I most enjoy are the ones were the servers are friendly yet very efficient. Here I felt they were trying to impress.

They should let that food do the impressing and aim for a little more fun.

Thank you, you are very much in Cornwall and we certainly don't set out to be formal. I am pleased you enjoyed yourselves and hope we will see you again.