“Lovely staff, great view, but .....”
Review of The Rock Inn

The Rock Inn
Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Rock
Price range: USD 6 - USD 28
Cuisines: British
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Rock Inn is an elevated 1st floor pub/restaurant with panoramic views of Padstow and the Camel Estuary. We offer food all day, starting with Breakfast until noon. Lunch from 12.00 Until 6.00 Pm. Evening meals are served from 6.00 Pm until 9.00 Pm. Booking for the evening is highly recommended. We serve great homemade specials and daily fresh Fish. Our Steaks are some of the best around. Fresh local Crab and much,much more. A warm welcome awaits you at the Rock Inn
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Based on the website and the descriptions of the food and the menu, my husband and I stopped in for lunch. Staff were lovely, drinks arrived promptly and with a smile. Good start. However, it was downhill from here. I am a chef and lived in France for many years, so I was looking forward to the mussels mariniere, but they were overcooked, tasteless, and the broth had no discernible flavour, nor any evidence of garlic or wine - just cream. My husband's fish was overcooked, the batter had no seasoning and the fish was dry. The chips were awful, I would have said frozen but the website says otherwise, and the mushy pea side was inedible.

Maybe it was an "off" day, or the chef was on holiday. But if not, it makes me so angry that such relatively high prices are charged on food that is described on the website as fresh and lovingly prepared, and on a par with the surrounding gastro eateries when in fact it is nothing of the sort.

The final straw was when we were asked by a waiter if we had enjoyed our meal, and I started to explain why we had not, he mumbled an apology and walked away whilst I was still talking!

My advice - get the ferry over to Padstow for brilliant fish and chips at Rick Stein's quayside cafe - it's cheaper!!

2  Thank Nannoo55

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

On the basis of TripAdvisor reviews we decided to try lunch at the Rock Inn after a morning out at Daymer Bay with the dog.
What a mistake.
My wife ordered the moules marinere which arrived in a bland cream sauce which was equally as tasteless as the mussels themselves.
I ordered the fish and chips with a side of onion rings. I mistakenly thought I'd get fresh onion rings not service food the likes of which you might find at BurgerKing, likewise it seems the chips came not long ago from a freezer.
At £14.95 ( £10.95 across the river at Stein's Fish n Chips ) I did not expect an overcooked piece of fish whose batter tasted of burnt grease.
On a positive note the staff were very helpful up until the moment the waiter who brought our bill turned on his heel and walked away when my wife began explaining our issues with the food. He either was not trained in handling customer issues or simply didn't care.

1  Thank Gregory L
RockInnOwnersReply, Owner at The Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Obviously very disappointed to receive such a review. Don't quite understand this review. Our Mussels our quite seriously regarded as the best around. Local Porthilly Mussels, fresh double cream with our house Sauvignon blanc for the wine, some finely diced red onion and fresh chopped parsley. Genuinely never had a bad comment on our Mussels. Our fish and chips are also one of our top sellers. Large Cod fillet, beer battered by ourselves using our own ingredients. The chips are most definitely not frozen and we only use probably the best fresh chilled chips available. The team in the kitchen are fully trained and amongst the best around. Also never understand why people leave such reviews after clearing there plates. I can only hope that people with take more notice of the many positive reviews that we have pleasure of having. Thanks for taking the time to read my reply.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Visited today 28/03 for early evening meal with the family.
Firstly ignore the private road sign as this can appear to suggest not to go on, and carry on along to the car park at the end of the main way in. Couple of hours is £2.30

There are two places one called the rock inn and the other called no.1 rock. Go up the stairs in between he two and turn right at the top.

The view if you are able to get a window seat or from the balcony is fabulous, overlooking Padstow.

The staff were extremely friendly and allowed us to take a table that was reserved but for a later time. Would suggest booking if you are relying on getting in as suspect will be very popular.

Ordered drinks and starter and while we waited our son got a. Little noisy and upset, a staff member came over and as our son had his iPod, asked if we wanted the wifi code, he has autism so this helps immensely. Wifi is not offered so a truly kind gesture. It did the trick so we could continue with less noise .

We had a garlic bread to start which was delicious and plentiful. To follow we had a panini and fish and chips for adults and a child's sausage and chips and a steak. All were very well cooked and delicious without exception. Reasonably priced for such fine eating and a splendid location.

A massive thank you and well done to all at the rock inn. Super staff and a pleasure to visit. Highly recommended on all sides.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Dropped in at short notice to the Rock Inn as we had not booked a table for dinner on a recent trip. They found us a table at short notice. Typical of Rock that there is little atmosphere in the restaurants but we have been to the area so many times we don't worry about this, its part of the quirkiness of the place, which we love.
Food was servered very quickly and was very good. Would come back again when next in the areal

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

We went here for dinner and were really disappointed, burgers were over cooked and dry, my friend had the fish pie and said it would be great for people who didn’t have teeth as was was a soup consistency and my beef and ale pie was full of pepper in fact they seem to love pepper so much my veg was covered in so much pepper it was inedible, I pointed this out to the waitress who simply said ‘we always season the veg!’ Even my husband who like pepper couldn’t stomach it. My husband had treacle tart with custard, the custard poured out like water and certainly didn’t taste like custard. To have such basic ingredients and still not be able to cook them properly is extremely disappointing.

1  Thank Grecz
RockInnOwnersReply, Owner at The Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Thank you for your kind words about our wonderful staff. Gutted at this contents of this review. All of those meals are basically our signature dishes. Genuinely don't get it. Everything mentioned is made on the premises with exception of the custard, which l assure you is Devons finest, don't add any salt or pepper to the Steak and ale. Seafood pie is truly one of our top sellers, made with the finest ingredients. Maybe the burger was slightly overcooked and for this l can only apologise, in fact l apologise for your experience and the fact that you thought it necessary to leave such a harsh review. I can only hope that others take the time to read the many positive reviews that others have kindly posted.