“Good Experience”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2017

Popped in here for a Sunday lunch before looking at reviews on Tripadvisor. I'm glad we did as we may not have if I read some of the earlier reviews. OK, the decor is a little threadbare and ancient, but that's great, I'm fed up with paying for modern renovations when the welcome, service, food etc. are poor. Here we were warmly welcomed on a wet, cold morning, looked after very well, and presented with a roast beef lunch that was more than adequate without being cordon bleu. The roast potatoes were very good which, I find, is always a good test. The beef was a little overdone for my tastes, but still flavoursome. Overall, we had a very pleasant time, sat eating, drinking and chatting whilst looking out at the sea.

1  Thank KeithWhiteparish

Reviewed 30 January 2017

My husband and I had just arrived in portmellon for a weekend break, whilst walking up the hill to our accommodation, my husband fell badly just outside this pub. Immediately, we were helped into the bar by patrons where the publicans were completely amazing, organising an ambulance, wrapping my husband, who had gone into shock, up in a duvet and keeping their bar open to look after us and our little dog until the ambulance came. By this time it was very late. I cannot thank them enough for their genuine concern and hospitality.

Reviewed 27 September 2016

My husband and I were on our way to Mevagissey on a day trip out from our camp site on the lovely Roseland Peninsular, travelling along the country lanes and coast - the pretty way. We rounded a bend and in front of us was the attractive Portmellon Cove and The Rising Sun Pub. We both had the same sense of deja vu. We had been to this cove and Pub 29 years before in the October. It was a windy stormy day and we had watched the waves lashing up and over the cottages just down the road from the pub. I was pregnant with our daughter at the time. Often we remembered the huge waves and lunching at the pub, but we had forgotten where it was. So, excitedly we stopped to have lunch. We had spent so much time stopping at lovely coves on the way it was now around 2.20pm, We parked up and went into the pub. We patiently waited our turn at the bar whilst the young barman served a customer who seemed to take for ever. Eventually it was our turn. The bar man looked at the bar clock - now approaching 2.30pm. Sorry Sir, we only serve until 2.30pm. But we only want a light lunch. Sorry sir, just served the last customers for lunch. No - " I'll just check with the kitchen." offer. I understand there has to be a cut off time, but this was ridiculous. I told him about our previous visit, but he wasn't interested. So on we went to Mevagissey for lunch, never to return....

7  Thank pamstrips
Reviewed 27 September 2016 via mobile

Sundsy lunch was terrible
My old school dinners were better
Meat was tough
Veg frozen
Potatoes frozen
Yorkshire puddings frozen

Staff slow miserable
Pub dark dirty and dusty
Not very welcoming
Will not recommended this place

2  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 18 September 2016

Sunday lunchtime, staff nice and friendly but the only available option of Sunday Roast was slightly disappointing, not much in the way of meat, and not exactly the feeling of satisfaction after licking the plate clean, for the price it would have been good to receive a little more generosity in the portions and a bit more effort from the presentation department. We were not expecting too much and sadly we were still a little crestfallen after eating. The bar itself could do with a bit of investment to spruce the place up and brighten a dull and dark interior, the basics are there and a bit of relevant local artifacture, reupholstery and less dull and more creative colour theme might make the place a more endearing venue

1  Thank sailloft