1,182 results
All reviewsfarm shopdaphne du maurierbodmin moorhaunted roomghost huntsmall museumthe pubsky channelsfour postermurder mysterymain barbuffet stylelog fireone night stayfull englishan evening mealenjoyable stay
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We booked a table at Jamaica inn for lunch, we were keen to go due to the history, wanting to visit the museum and based on the reviews.
I'm glad we went but having been once I wouldn't feel the need to return again.
I didn't expect a canteen style lunch which really limited the choice of food, having said that the lamb casserole I had was quite tasty but the chips/ wedges were all dried out due to sitting under a hot lamp.
The museum was small but we found all the smugglers info interesting.
Glad we went for a visit but wouldn't be rushing back and not sure I'd recommend because of the canteen style food.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank _hayleyandrich
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Simply the best!!!
We stayed over easter and didnt want to leave. Lovely clean and spacious rooms, excellent menu and bar in historic surroundings. A big thankyou to Allen Jackson and all his staff who couldnt do enough for us and made us very welcome. We have stayed many times over the past few years and we will definately be returning.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Been dropping in here on way back from cornwall for years, since I was a kid. Still fascinating history of pirates and smugglers for the kids and tourists. Food fine, ales good. Dropped in here this year with the kids and they loved it! Essential stop on way back from Cornwall.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Now I will start this review with letting all the others know that Trip Advisor is somewhat of a venting platform for most people, so don't believe in everything you read. You have to experience these places and make up your own mind.

I have been visiting the Jamaica Inn for some years now with my family and cannot fault them at all. The staff are very polite, hardworking, and cannot do enough for you during your stay. The place is quirky, warm, and cosy and has bags of character. Most will know of the Jamaica Inn for its ghostly activities, but this isn't necessarily the reason why we come time and time again. We come because the atmosphere is great and the service is second to none, but for those of you expecting the Ritz please go to the Ritz, and remember how much you'll pay for the service.

It must be a nice place to work for as every time we have been we have seen the same friendly faces year on year. In the tourism and hospitality industry staff turnover generally is quite high, but doesn't seem to be here, so management must be treating the staff really well!

As the saying goes "you cant please everyone" but i can assure you that here they do try there best.

We stayed over Christmas of 2017 and absolutely loved the experience. This time an Easter stay and i brought my 13 week old sausage dog whom everybody loved. I have never known a hotel to be so accommodating of needs, and have such a love for dogs.

They have had some newer buildings completed, which I feel does take the character away but over time, the new look will wear and hopefully look more like the old building. However in terms of the new rooms, these look stunning, and have some great views over the moors.

The food is always delicious, locally sourced. Whether it be breakfast, dinner or lunch I have no grave words to say.

All i will say is we will be back- if they'll have us again! Thank you to all the team at Jamaica Inn for another lovely stay!

Room Tip: Old rooms with ghostly activity, Newer part which is modern and comfortable, Recently built more view rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Kat P
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We came on a du Maurier visit so I was keen to see the du Maurier room and smugglers' museum. We had lunch from the cafeteria style restaurant (pasty and veg which was tasty and fine). The museum is 3.95 for adults. There are nice old du Maurier books and photos on display and some of her possessions (her desk etc). The smugglers exhibits are a little odd (I suspect some of the signs and objects haven't been updated in a long time). Although some of the things are interesting some of the info is a bit odd and moralising and one of the exhibits claims to be a lump of actual opium (!). There is a busy gift shop full of du Maurier, Poldark, Wycliffe and other local merchandise as well the usual sort of touristy gifts. The farm shop is great, nice local breads, big range of local chocolates and jams and a terrific range of local spirits, ales and ciders. For what we planned to do we had a great trip and I would bring others here again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
JamaicaI, Owner at Jamaica Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thank you for your complimentary Review. I am pleased you enjoyed the Daphne du Maurier Room and Smuggling Museum as well as the Gift Shop and finding the Farm Shop 'great'. Thanks also for saying you 'would bring others here again'.