“Fun Evening”

El Camino restaurant
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Crowthorne
Price range: USD 18 - USD 63
Description: We are a Italian/Spanish restaurant that is open every day serving a variety of Italian dishes and authentic Spanish tapas.
Reviewed 24 May 2017

I'd already been out for a restaurant meal at lunchtime (Positano, Guildford just reviewed) so we opted for the Tapas here. No space left in few spaces outside, but we found a car space close by. There is a free car park a little down the road as well apparently,
Huge selection of tapas. Wish they had numbers on them as by the time you have decided on your selection, you have forgotten where it is when you come to order.
We didn't find the tall waiter rude, like some people have done recently. I abhor rudeness and would not tolerate it from anyone. I did find his insistence that I order my glass of wine before I could order my food a little strange, however, it was done with a smile, not a sneer so that was ok by me.
We thought the option of 5 Tapas for £25 was good value and the portion sizes were generous. I can't comment on authenticity as we have never eaten tapas in Spain, only 'regular' meals. We enjoyed most of the dishes but I felt the padron peppers were a bit salty and could have been crisper, so left most of those. My glass of Montepuciano was excellent as was the sparkling water we both enjoyed.
Desserts were decidedly Italian and all homemade. I favoured a Tiramisu but the portion was so large I could not finish it. Peter's choice of strawberry cheesecake was also good. Coffees came with the offer of either a free Limoncello or amaretto and also wrapped mints. This meal was excellent value for money. Ruben which is what he told us his Portuguese name translated into English was very chatty over serving our dessert and coffee. the atmosphere was relaxed and everyone seemed to be having a good time.
For those from London more interested in the décor than the food, or that is so some of the criticism has seemed, we found it tasteful, well lit but not dazzling and in no way resembling the Indian restaurant it had been before the fire.The tables have proper cloths as are the napkins and just in case you Londeners are wondering they also use real plates, not disposable ones.

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

First waiter the tall dark one is an ar*e
Rude and stuck up

Completely ignored me for the women on the table. So much so that had to call him
Back to give my order of food

Lucky he was otherwise engaged being obnoxious elsewhere for the rest of the evening

Had tapas and enjoyed. Wouldn't go back
Though. Shame as not much choice in Crowthorne.

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

The food was lovely and great choice / variety. The initial waiter was very rude - totally ignored my mail friend, 'dumped' our serviettes on our laps (would rather just do it myself) leaning right down the middle of the table cutting off any conversation we were trying to have.
I ordered a Diet Coke and a flat full sugar coke arrived - when I told another waiter that I was diabetic and could not have it, he felt the need to check with the other waiter.... seriously? I then unceremoniously get a warm Diet Coke dumped on the table with a comment of 'he says it was Diet but didn't look convinced' - oh great.... it's really a matter of life and death for me, but don't you worry....
Food was great though - maybe a take away is the way to go?

1  Thank Carolyn C
Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

Visited here for the first time after being highly recommended to us, the food and the atmosphere were very good but our waiter who was a tall chap( name deliberately withheld ) was very rude and Bolshey he needs some educating. It was such a shame on what was a very pleasant evening. Would this experience stop us going again? Maybe not sure.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 8 May 2017

Actually didn't dine in but had a take-away. Really good food. Hot when got home. Will definitely go for 'real meal' soon. Excellent help with choices, ready in 20 mins, will recommend to friends.