“Authentic, cosy gem!”
Review of A Tavola

A Tavola
Ranked #2 of 640 Restaurants in Stockport
Price range: USD 1 - USD 19
Description: A small rustic restaurant/coffee shop with a lot going on: award-winning chef, delicatessen with quality Sicilian & homemade products, Joe Delucci ice cream & milkshake bar, top quality Italian barista coffee, eat in/take out, extensive menu & weekly specials.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited for the first time this week and everything was perfect. Food, wine, ambience, I can see why people rave about this little place. I don't live locally but I will definitely be back. Loved it!

Date of visit: November 2018
ATavolaSicilian, Owner at A Tavola, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Mandy C,

Wow, thanks so much for your lovely little review, it means the world to us when people take the time to write them.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your first visit so much that despite not being local, will be coming back to dine with us again!

We love our little cosy, authentic restaurant so when customers tell us they enjoy the ambience it creates, it makes it all worthwhile. We're really happy you enjoyed the food and wine, we work really hard to make sure that we serve only the best Sicilian and Italian ingredients.

We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I visited here as I was staying in a local hotel and fancied something nicer than hotel food. This didn't disappoint the waitress was helpful and food excellent. I went for a straightforward margarita pizza and fries which was just enough after a long day at work and I'll be visit I g again when I'm in the area.

Keep up the good work.

Date of visit: November 2018

Hi 295nathanr,

Thanks so much for your review, we're glad you found us on your visit to the area and that you enjoyed it so much you will be back next time you are here.

Our front of house staff love explaining our menu as there are some authentic Sicilian dishes that not many people have come across before so we are really happy you found them helpful and most importantly, enjoyed the food you had!

We really hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 October 2018

A huge, varied menu on offer and helpful, knowledgeable staff to guide you through it all! It's a small restaurant, and obviously very popular, so booking is essential.
The Arancine with Gorgonzola starter was delicious. The veal main course was very tasty but it would have been better if it hadn't been served on a cold plate as it would have stayed hot for longer. The chips were good but massively over salted. Not sure why they were seasoned for me. I like a lot of seasoning but there was just too much. Others who shared the chips agreed.
I know it's a small space but the narrow benches were extremely uncomfortable for someone of my age. Ok for an hour or so but then backache kicked in! Also got knocked every time someone (waitress or other customers) went by between the tables.

Hi Trishywish100,

Thanks for your review, it means a great deal to us that people take the time to write about their visits to A Tavola.

We're glad you found our staff knowledgeable and helpful in explaining our varied menu, we serve many traditional Sicilian dishes that people have not come across before so we understand people visiting us for the first time may need a little guidance!

The dishes you chose are both very popular choices and it's great to know you found them delicious and very tasty. We're sorry that you found the plate cold for the Veal, we obviously try to ensure that our plates are warmed before service but at very busy times, very occasionally mistakes can happen. We have taken your comments on board however. We're also sorry you felt the fries were over seasoned, again we have listened to your feedback and passed it on to the kitchen.

Our restaurant is a very small, cosy space and is also very traditionally Sicilian in it's decoration and layout. I do apologise that you were knocked when people passed you and hope that if it was our staff members they apologised to you at the time.

Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

Been meaning to go here for a while and it didn’t disappoint. This is a tiny restaurant (booking is essential) where the kitchen clearly knows it’s stuff.

The menu is extensive so it’s worth asking for advice. We had a couple of small starters (arancini and chickpea fritters), a plate of pasta each and a couple of canoli for pudding. Really impressed with everything, my only disappointment was that there were a couple of items on the menu that weren’t available. That’s the nature of a small independent restaurant I guess. No major issue as the dishes we did have were delicious. All proper authentic Sicilian - I love the commitment to regional cuisine.

This place isn’t super cheap but nor is it overly expensive. I’d consider it good value for the excellent quality. Will definitely be back again soon.

Hi Terrence_manchester,

Thanks for your review, we love hearing from people who have just discovered us! We're so glad you enjoyed your first visit to us.

Our chef is very passionate about delivering authentic Sicilian dishes to our customers, lots of our dishes have been passed down through the family so it's really great when customers recognise the knowledge and passion put into every dish.

The front of house staff are always on hand to offer advice about our menu as there is so much to take in! We're glad you enjoyed the starters you chose, the Arancini and Panelle (Chickpea Fritters) are both traditional Sicilian street food snacks that are very popular in Sicily. We're very sorry that a couple of the items you chose were not available but as you say, being such a small restaurant, this can happen from time to time. It's a good reason to come back again and try them next time!

We're delighted that you found us good value for the money. As you said, the quality of ingredients is excellent as most of it is direct from Sicily.

We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

I came here a while back and forgot to post a review. I think it has been refurbished since I last visited so we need to dine here again very soon and hopefully the food and service is as good as last time. A small family run restaurant with great service and hearty food.

Date of visit: October 2018
ATavolaSicilian, Owner at A Tavola, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2018

Hi Chef J,
Not sure about a refurb, we got the seats padded lol!!! still as small as ever but little changes every day help to keep it moving forward and always offering something new so would be great for you to return and see if you can spot any differences :)
A good chef will always appreciate another good chefs work and like us you must be busy all the time too. So thank you very much for remembering us and still taking the time to give us your feedback and praise.
Grazie Mille :)