“Pies, Patches and a proper landlady”
Review of The Drum & Monkey

The Drum & Monkey
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A delightful 17th Century pub and restaurant with a great atmosphere, serving a range of real ales on hand pump (Wye Valley, Malvern Hills Brewery, Ledbury Real Ales and other guest breweries). A varied menu is on offer at both lunch and dinner time, serving locally sourced food, all freshly cooked. There is a large car park, lovely beer garden with a covered smoking area (called Woodbine Cottage!). Free camping and caravanning currently offered (pub facilities only). The pub is open plan inside with areas separated by beams and has a real fire in Autumn/Winter (or whenever cold!).
Reviewed 18 June 2018

My partner and I stayed next door to The Drum & Monkey for a one-night getaway with our two kids aged 5 and 2. One of the things we were most looking forward to was having a proper pub dinner, a few good beers and neither of us having to drive home. Well, The Drum & Monkey didn't disappoint. We both had a couple of pints of a really good Butty Bach and the most amazing homemade pies. Both our kids hoovered up their dinner too. Elizabeth, the landlady, was brilliant and her dog Patches was lovely. She was great with the kids and had enough banter to make it feel like a proper homely pub. I first knew I liked Elizabeth when I asked what the pie came with she replied "a plate". If you ever go to Upton, go to The Drum & Monkey.

1  Thank ElliottClarkson
Elizabeth J, Owner at The Drum & Monkey, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Elliot,
Thank you so much for your review. You were such a lovely family, it was a pleasure to have you in the pub and it is lovely to hear how much you enjoyed your evening, despite your youngest being so tired - I do hope he enjoyed his lollipop the next day (if his brother gave it to him!!).
I hope you will return.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

The best welcome we've had at any pub for years, combined with a lovely atmosphere, friendly banter and excellent and comforting home-cooked food. Good choice of vegetarian dishes as well, which is really nice to see. I just wish we had a local pub like this, almost worth moving house for!

Elizabeth J, Owner at The Drum & Monkey, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Mark,
Thank you for your review and I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed the atmosphere, banter (!!) and home cooked food. I will pass your comments on to my team who always love to hear how much people enjoy their time here. I hope you will return soon and maybe think about moving here to enjoy it on a regular basis?

Reviewed 27 May 2018

Stopped off here on a weekday lunchtime as we were passing. Very pleased we did! Food was lovely, hot and fresh. Friendly welcome by the staff, including the pub dog Patches who is a lovely boy (even our dog, Pumpkin, took a shine to him and she's not normally very interested in other dogs!) If we're ever in the area again we'd have no hesitation going back

Thank you so much for your review. It is lovely to hear how much you enjoyed the food that was served and that and Pumpkin also had a good time. Please come and see me again when next in the area.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

Visited this lovely pub 3 times in our short break. The landlady Liz and her staff are all friendly and obliging. We had the Sunday lunch of sirloin beef which was outstanding. The lamb pie and cod and chips both again outstanding. And finally the luxury fish pie and sirloin steak again outstanding. Good selection of beer and cider, lovely beer garden. Excellent place for lunch, will return, highly recommend.

1  Thank Beetlemania67
Elizabeth J, Owner at The Drum & Monkey, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Thank you so much for your review. It was a pleasure to have you both here over the 3 days and I am so pleased you enjoyed all of your meals - the Butty Bach (aka Batch!!) went down particularly well! Enjoy your onward travels and look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

Went here for a lovely dinner whilst exploring the area. Home made pies are to die for as was the starter and desserts. Will definitely be returning.
Also very dog friendly which we didn’t realise otherwise we would have taken ours along!!
Land lady was also extremely friendly!

Elizabeth J, Owner at The Drum & Monkey, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Kristy
Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit here. I look forward to seeing you again with your dog.
Cheers Liz