All reviewstasting menule mazotswiss chaletafternoon teasalt scrubmartin burgeprivate cinemastar michelinupgraded to a suitemain restaurantthe general managermoment you arrivespecial treatbeautiful hotelpure luxurydrawing roomhighest standard
Reviewed 30 April 2018

Having finally located reception my wife and I were made very welcome by the staff there and promptly shown through to the restaurant.
Overall it was a little pretentious for our liking but the food was excellent and my main course (roast sirloin) proved to be a very large plateful.
My starter of duck samosas was very tasty and my wife thoroughly enjoyed her prawn starter followed by sea bream main course.
Thank goodness we had the gift voucher though because the cost of individual items, drinks especially, is very high - hence the "Average" value score below.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

We visited Whatley Manor for afternoon tea for our anniversary and left with great memories - what a place and a superb afternoon tea.

The hotel and grounds are stunning and very well kept, we walked around the gardens which are beautiful even in April.

The afternoon tea was one of the best we have eaten - and we love an afternoon tea and have enjoyed many in different countries. Every item on the plate was individual, fresh and very tasty. Simply scrumptious.

We look forward to returning to enjoy more of Whatley Manor.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2018

This lovely hotel is in a great position in the Cotswolds.
Log fires to sit round in winter, and terraces and a pretty garden to sit in, during warmer days.
There are lots of interesting places to visit from here.

But sadly, the hotel is now in need of some refurbishment.
The main areas are looking a bit tatty & somewhat dated.
Gloomy colours & chipped paint along the corridors and some of the bedrooms are old fashioned and definitely need updating.
The hotel would also benefit by having a few more colourful flower arrangements.

Having said this, the staff are lovely. Friendly, helpful & efficient.
Ben at Reception & Elliott who helped us with our bags, were exceptionally good.
The hotel is clearly beautifully run by Sue Williams, the efficient manager.

The Spa is excellent with a salt scrub room & steam rooms.
Ruth gave me the best massage imaginable.
But even the Spa could do with a slight modernisation.

We stayed for two nights, but even if I had wanted to stay longer I would never do this as the restaurant situation is so ridiculous.
The Dining room - which is stark and completely lacking in atmosphere - ONLY offers a 12 course tasting menu at £120 (without wine).
This is all beautifully prepared by the excellent Michelin starred chef Niall Keating.
The staff here, especially Katrina, are well trained and explain each course.
But WHY are guests being forced to have a tasting menu ?
You would only want to eat that once and in any case a lot of people would prefer the choice from an a la carte menu.
The alternative is to go out to a local pub or restaurant or eat in Grey’s Brasserie, the newly refurbished second restaurant, but frankly the menu here is inadequate and doesn’t offer a good enough selection of dishes to make you want to go there more than once, either. ‘Welsh Rarebit’ and ‘pickled herrings’ are not good enough to serve as a starter, in a place like this.
And at breakfast the choice is the smallest I have ever seen in an hotel.

There are comfy bedrooms with Bang and Olufsen TVs & the atmosphere at the hotel is lovely. The whole experience is very calm and relaxing.
So it saddens me to have to find fault in such a lovely place, in which I have stayed five times since it opened. But to keep Whatley Manor to the standard it has always been, then gradual and continuous ‘upkeep’ is essential.
(Loo paper 3/5 with corners!)

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank madeleine_rijndorp
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

We finally got around to taking up the gift treat of afternoon tea at Whatley Manor given to us by our daughter and her boyfriend. She had previously visited when her boyfriend had taken her there to propose and they thought that they would treat us as they had found Whatley Manor to be very very special.

After being warmly greeted by the reception staff we enjoyed a walk around the beautiful grounds and gardens before taking our tea on the terrace in beautiful sunshine.

The staff are friendly, polite, helpful and quietly efficient and the afternoon tea provided is simply excellent; in fact the best we have had.......ever. Thank you Whatley Manor.

Definitely worth a revisit.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2018

I have agonised as to whether or not I should leave a new review of Whatley Manor having spent Christmas there with my family. Five of us in total, three rooms and an eye watering bill not to mention the service charge which is of course optional. The service is generally good, and courteous. Not that we have minded the cost in the past but it has changed beyond recognition in our opinion in terms of food and value for money. We have stayed at Whatley at least ten times now and we think it’s at its lowest ebb.

Probably worth mentioning that Whatley takes dogs too. We don’t mind dogs but we spoke to another couple who were horrified, the lady had an allergy to the fur. It does say on the website that dogs are allowed but they are in the public areas.

It must be said that there are still some good staff there, Holly and Julia are really good, nothing is too much trouble and we have always appreciated their lovely ways. However, since the chef changed, we think the food is not good. Christmas lunch was truly awful and we were given £200 off the bill (which was close to £10k for the five of us). We never saw the chef once, he didn’t come into the dining room thoughout the whole of our stay.

On Christmas Eve, we ate in the new Greys Brasserie. I was asked how I might like the steak and I asked for medium. When it came, it was bleeding so much it almost mooed. It was swimming in blood. I couldn’t eat it so it had to go back. The second offering was the same so I had no food. The manager, Liz was clearly irritated and asked most curtly “well what do you want me to do?” Nothing, I replied, my family have all finished but our daughter had also left her steak for the same reason.

We also have a dislike of staff smelling of cigarettes. Something we all commented on in Greys. It’s just not nice.

The rooms also need some upgrades now and the furnishings look a bit tired.

I had thought I would not leave a review but it’s a bit like the emperors new clothes. If no one says anything, choosing to stay silent rather than speaking up, everyone thinks it’s still ok. We don’t.

We have always used Whatley as our benchmark but w felt let down and disappointed after this visit.

Room Tip: Rooms 10, 4 and Room 2
Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Lynn N
Whatley_Manor, General Manager at Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

So Sorry to learn that you have been holding onto these thoughts for so long, These are clearly strong feelings and you have us pegged as offering our guests a poor experience and I very much respect all the opinions of our guests. With out question though we continue to look at our performance critically, making improvements where ever possible and are never complacent. Across the board we care tremendously and taking the general feedback into account I firmly believe we get it right for our guests the majority of the time. So sorry that you didn't meet our Chef, Christmas is an exceptionally busy time and the dining room was full throughout your stay. Throughout the year Niall is just about the most visible Chef in the UK and well known for it.