“Stephen and Richard's Civil Partnership”

The Craiglands Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ilkley
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Stephen and Richard's Civil Partnership”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

We arrived at 2 pm on Saturday 28 April 2012 and our room was ready for us. The room was clean and well appointed. The reception staff were helpfully and pleasant. The whole day was a beautiful experience with every detail of the service and reception carefully planned and executed. The waiting staff are fantastic and I must single out Ashley for being very professional and very obliging- nothing was too much trouble. All of the staff worked very hard all day Saturday and were bright and cheerful on Sunday morning. All in all a wonderful short stay.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Bozzybear
VAcil, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Bozzybear,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, following Stephen and Richard's celebrations.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your time with us here at The Craiglands and must agree that the organisation and detail for the event was superb. We can't take full credit for it though as I know both Stephen and Richard enjoyed the planning part of their partnership immensely.

I have passed on your comments to the team involved with the big day, in particular Ashley, I just hope he doesn't ask me for a pay rise now !

Again, thank you so much for your kind words. They go a very long way with the team here and make all their effort worthwhile.

Kindets regards

Grant Upton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Lincolnshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I booked this hotel via a Groupon deal for my birthday. Our first impression of this hotel was that it looked ok, and certainly the reception area was quite impresssive. However, after we had climbed the stairs to our room (the lift was out of order when we arrived and was still out of order when we left!) and entered the corridor to get to our room, the first thing that hit us was a smell. We couldn't quite put our finger on what it was, but it wasn't pleasant. The room itself on first appearance was very spacious and had nice matching curtains and accessories. On closer inspection, the carpet did not look as if it had been hoovered, the quilt cover had black marks on it (I don't think it was dirty - just not had stain remover applied to it). However, the bed was very comfy! When we returned later in the evening the heating was not working so the room was very cold and so I decided to have a shower to warm up, and there was no hot water. There was no shower gel either. Also the toilet was lined with what can only be described as dirt, and the floor had obviously not been swept properly. The duty manager attended (who was the same person who had served us our complimentary cream tea earlier) and sorted the heating, the shower worked after letting the water run for around 15 minutes (what water shortage?) and he actually cleaned the bathroom himself - can't ask for more than that! Breakfast the next day was not quite luke-warm, although plentiful, and there was no marmalade on the table for toast. When we returned later on in the day, the duty manager presented us with a cream tea by way of compensation for our inconvenience, which was great and certainly not expected. When we got back to the room the bed had been made and we had new towels (again one with black marks on it) but there was shower gel, and there was hot water! Breakfast on the second day was slightly warmer (they had taken our comments on board) but the coffee was cold so had to be replaced.

In conclusion, our overall impression of this hotel is that they are running on a shoestring with barely any staff and are trying their best, but it needs more effort and some TLC to make this a proper 3 star place to stay.

Dear sde23sde,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I would like to apologise for what would appear to have been a mixed experience with us.

Having only taken up my role here last week, I am sure you will appreciate that I have a lot on my plate at the moment but I can assure you that steps have already been taken to rectify the issues you experienced within your bedroom and I have begun the recruitment process for an experienced head housekeeper in order to support and develop the team already in place.

I am pleased that our manager on duty was able to rectify the issues you were faced with and once more, I apologise that you found issue in the first place. Our intention is only to provide the best in terms of comfort and service and your comments assist us greatly in being able to measure our performance.

I trust that the few issues you experienced whilst with us would not deter you from returning and I would be happy to show you the developments made within the property should you wish to do so.

In closing, many thanks again for your comments and my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed at The Craiglands with my husband during a two night visit to Ilkley. Very pleasant hotel, staff very friendly and polite especially the young waiter man who covered breakfast and the bar. Breakfast was buffet style and very good, The food was very hot and fresh. The room we stayed in was comfortable and clean the bed was very comfortable. Only a 5 minute walk into Ilkley centre from the hotel all downhill, a bit of an uphill struggle walking back up to the hotel. Ilkley moor a short walk from the hotel with lovely views from the top of the cow and calf rock formation. Overall a very pleasant stay,

1 Thank angiedickinson43
Dear angiedickinson43,

Well, we couldn't have asked for a better review !. Thank you so much for your kind words.

I have passed on your comments to the team here at The Craiglands and will ensure that we continue to look after our future guests in the same manner.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future and I would be happy to help, should you wish to do so.

Many thanks

Bradford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

It's a little tired all over. The bathroom, although recently painted, showed signs of age, but was fresh and clean. The Saxon Suite had a bad case of damp.
The worst thing was the noisy floor boards. The people above got up early and the noise was impossible to sleep through.
If the weather is poor the car parks aresn't very good, nor are the access roads.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JPHBradford
VAcil, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear JPHBradford,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am sorry that you would appear to hve had a less than satisfactory stay with us recently.

Having only taken up my role yesterday, I was unfortunately not present during your time at the hotel. As I am sure you will appreciate, the hotel is over 150 years old and although a substantial refurbishment programme has been carried out over recent months, the construction of the building is particularly difficult to alter, leading to the movement being heard from the room directly above yours.

Discussions have been held concerning the resurfacing of the car park prior to my arrival and I am certain a solution to this matter will be presented shortly.

I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further, should you so wish and can be contacted directly at the hotel.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and can offer you my personal assurance that all points have been noted and actioned accordingly.

Kind Regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Having a two day KGB break we weren't disappointed we had a good room with comfortable beds , the afternoon tea on arrival was very welcome ,all of the staff were friendly and in the main efficient .Food was always well cooked and presented, We had a ticket for the tribute band on the Friday night , fairly good and the meal that accompanied it was good .

I did hear a couple of people complain about minor things which the staff corrected immediately.

we would return as it is a good centre for sightseeing

Room Tip: rooms from 137 to 148 can be noisy if entertainment is on
1 Thank Robfran21
Dear Robfran21,

Having only joined the team here at The Craiglands yesterday, it is fantastic to read such a positive review.

I have shared your views across the team and can assure you that we will continue to offer only the best service and hospitality throughout the hotel.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to The Craiglands and I look forward to meeting you upon your return.

Many thanks & kind regards

Grant Upton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
0.8 km away
The Crescent Inn
#1 of 9 in Ilkley
1.1 km away
Ilkley Riverside Hotel

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!