All reviews great hotel old town san gimignano hotel room mini bar recommend hotel base from which to explore bars and restaurants short stay great stop outdoor pool short walk from the railway station breakfast was excellent large garden stayed here for nights tourist attractions sun loungers
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We stayed here for 10 nights and can definitely say that this not 4*hotel. No sewing kit,or tissues, tea and coffee making kettle has to be paid for €6/day. Worse of all there wasn't a sprinkle system in our room and the emergency exit stairs are very overgrown and could be dangerous.
Carpet and walls in the room are very badly marked, shower cubicle has lots of black mould and could do with a ceiling light as it's very dark inside it.
Also if you decide to stay in this hotel bring some anti moscitos device or spry. We were quite badly bitten through out our stay.
Good points are: 10 min walk to train station (40min journey to Siena for €9 return), excellent central position for other tourist attractions in the area, but the best thing of all are the staff - breakfast room ladies Dana, Isabella and one more lady whose name unfortunately I can't remember (sorry!), and the girls at reception: Claudia, Beatrice and Irene. You made our stay much more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Room 206 directly under the tiled roof so can get quite hot in warm weather. The air con can't cope to cool it down
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ivo197152
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

As a family of 12 we stayed in this hotel for 8 nights. Good points are cleanliness and pool area( small but comfy beds ).The waitressss at breakfast were very pleasant as were the cleaners.

However too many negatives. Because we arrived late we pre booked dinner for first night and agreed the price albeit felt a bit expensive for very limited selection. Unfortunately we got did not even get all that was agreed and some items changed. Complained to manager and no offer of any refund just an apology and the offer of a pre dinner aperitif !! This was then challenged by the barman in evening which was quite unpleasant.

Our safe wasn't working the batteries had run out but it took them 2 days to sort it out insisting that I had to be present when they were in the room. Fair enough but seemed strange as not required to be in room when being cleaned !!

Also the hotel were generally very fussy and unaccomodating e.g. Children needed to eat before the restaurant opened at 7.30. They refused to let us use micro wave and initially they also refused to give a dish or knife and fork for room so daughter could feed her 20 month old. When they did agree it they made her sign for the items !

Breakfast was ok but overall very limited food options for lunch which is only served between 1 & 2 and dinner only from 7.30.

Overall I would not recommend hotel for a family holiday maybe ok if staying for one or two nights only without children

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Jerry B
Reviewed 18 August 2017

I was part of a group of friends who stayed at this hotel for a few days to attend a wedding in the old town. The hotel was charming, well placed to stroll into town and access the old town by funicular. Although it is near the road, the outdoor spaces (which include a little pool) feel secluded and peaceful. The rooms are very comfortable and air conditioned. The staff were exceptionally friendly and welcoming, contributing to a lovely trip. Certaldo is a gorgeous town and Hotel Certaldo is the perfect place from which to explore it, nearby towns and vineyards. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gillbers
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel for 3 nights. Initially a bit concerned about the location but it is only a 10 minute walk to the town centre and another 5 up to the old town which is accessible by a funicular. The hotel is a converted mill so it cannot be expected to be in the middle of the town!! One improvement from the hotel could be to provide a shuttle service for those unable or reluctant to walk.
The staff were extremely friendly and always happy to help with any questions we had. All common areas including the pool, bar and small restaurant were clean and enjoyable to use. Breakfast was very nice and served in the restaurant or in the garden which was a treat! Custard croissants highly recommended!!
Our room was spacious, clean and well serviced with lovely products. Shower a little small but bath also had a full shower so no problems there!
Would not hesitate to recommend this very friendly town and hotel!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank clare k
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I had the misfortune of having to spend 2 nights in this hotel while visiting Certaldo for a friends wedding. I have to say it was the worst hotel I have ever been too. Do not be fooled by the pictures.

I booked the hotel 3 months in advance and book an extra night (3 nights instead of 2) by mistake. A few days later I rang Hotels.com to change the dates, they contacted the hotel and said the hotel are refusing to refund you for the extra night so I contacted the hotel directly. They point blank refused to refund me for the extra night and never returned any of my phone calls. I take full responsibility for booking the extra night as that was my mistake but this is just the first example of how this hotel will try to squeeze as much money out of you as possible.

Do not expect anything in your hotel room other than a bed and bathroom and don’t expect it to be clean. There is a TV but beware of the 10 euro charge, turn it on at your own risk. They will even charge you for a kettle in your room!

The room we were given was dirty and filthy. All the walls in the room were filthy and covered in dirt, one wall even had what looked like blood on it. The floor was filthy and didn’t look like it had been washed in years. The bathroom was not much better, the toilet seat was broken in 2 places and the shower door seals were falling off.

I called the night manager up to show him the room and he admitted that it was very embarrassing but there was nothing he could do. The next day when the manager was eventually decided to come in at about 12pm I brought her up to the room and showed her the dirty state of the room and she also admitted that the room was very poor and that it should not be let out to paying guest. Yet they still have no problem giving this room out.

How can this hotel be awarded a 4 star rating? Tiny pool, no bar, poor location, dirty room are just a few more negatives oh and it has a pigeon problem so expect them to be dancing on your roof at 6am. Just check it out its location on google maps and ask yourself why stay there? I took 4k video of the dirty room which I will also be posting up on Youtube.

The hotel refused to offer any kind of refund but after speaking to Hotels.com and sending them the HD pictures of the filthy room they agreed to refunded me. Do yourself a favour and check out the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends