“Staff needs training”

Holiday Inn Express Hershey (Harrisburg Area)
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hummelstown
Hudson NH
“Staff needs training”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

If not for the bad staff I would have given this Hotel 4 stars. We were here for the RV show at the Giant center and we were going to stay for a week but ended up leaving a day early.The front desk staff was no existent. They never had name tags and from the time we checked in till we left we never got a smile, a hello, or a is everything OK.They never even got off the chair to wade on customers. The friendliest person was the breakfast girl and she did a good job keeping everything full and fresh. I reported the bed lamp was not working twice and it never got fix (come on a bulb) and the hot tub was anything but hot maybe around 75 to 80 degrees not a normal 104. The hotel location was awesome around the comer from Hershey park and an hour to Lancaster or Gettysburg. So hotel 4 stars staff 1......train your people for customer serves

Room Tip: Stay on the fron of this hotel trains run about a 100 feet from the back every 2 hours
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joe C
HIEHersheyManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hershey (Harrisburg Area), responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Hello and Thank You for Your Review!

I am concerned about your experience at my hotel. I apologize on behalf of my entire team.
I am sorry we were unable to provide the quality service to you expect from Holiday Inn Express.

Please know that I will work with my team in an effort to improve their service behaviors and follow through on guest requests.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and Travel Safe!

Warm Regards,

Wayne Ambrose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 September 2011

It was an avg hotel. It was clean, which is very important to me. The daytime front desk was very nice. And they had a pool which my daughter enjoyed. By the way, I saw on other reviews negative comments about trains passing too close. We stayed on the 3rd floor where the noise is supposed to be the worst. It was not an issue even for a second. I didn't hear a train at all.

The problem during my stay was the power outage during the night. I was staying with my daughter w/out my husband and got really scared when the air got very stale, I couldn't see anything in the pitch darkness (the outage was due to a car accident that took down power lines so there were no lights outside either). I panicked. Luckily the lights went on shortly after I woke up. This, of course is not the hotel's fault. However, when I phoned downstairs to the front desk they were short with me and not very reassuring. My friend in another room phoned the front desk during the outage and no one picked up.

Additional point, is that the hotel is not worth the money they are charging. I know that it's hard to find a cheaper hotel in Hershey area. The next few nights we stayed in a B&B - a much much better value and a much better experience.

Oh, yes, breakfast was not tasty here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Victoria B
Long Island NY
Reviewed 12 September 2011

They are very clean check in and out very easy 5 minutes to the park. the pool they keep open longer since they can see inside. They have coffee, tea and hot choclate out all day and night. Stayed with another couple and we had connecting doors. Breakfast was great they had a pncake maker to make the pancakes as needed you press a button for as many as you wanted.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank terriLongIslandNY
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Hotel clean and nice. Staff very nice and helpful. minutes away from Hershey Park attractions. directly next to restaurants, gas station, Kmart. Hot breakfast in the am included Eggs bacon or sausage, cinnamon buns, muffins, cereal , milk, juices and pancakes. The breakfast is served until 930am so if you like to sleep in a little, take your breakfast to your room ...there is a nice size refrigerator and a microwave and you can have it at your convenience. Hot coffee and tea served all day also. We were definately satisfied with this hotel...especially since we had originally been camping and had been rained out.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Megsach
New York City
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Called hotel during road trip to reserve adjoining rooms and when we got there, they gave us what we requested. Friendly cleaning staff, arranged toys won at Dutch wonderland on bed. Used hotel menus to order Itailian food one night, menus located at desk. Italian food was actually good and inexspensive, ordered 4 pasta dishes and small pie with soda ($54. including tip) came within 45 minutes as promised. Hotel pool is small but good enought for 5 kids ranging from (3-9). Hotel also had a hot tub, din't try out. Parking was easy every night. Hotel breakfast was good, had decenst amount to select from. First day, we all couldn't wake up for breakfast hours(one of the cleaning staff knew we had kids and saved a bunch of food for us). In addition, when we were about to leave parking lot after check out, the cleaning staff told the front desk personnel to run out and stop us because they found one of the kids jackets wrapped within the bed linen. Very nice hotel and very, very close to Hershey Park. we also ate at Applebees the first night, wait staff extremely friendly and nice. Food was descent as any chain restaurant. there is a train that runs right next to parking lot of the front of the hotel, but, noise did not bother or noticeable from our room which was the front of the hotel. Hotel was clean and felt safe.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Art800
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hummelstown
0.5 km away
3.5 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Hershey Near The Park
5.7 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Hershey

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hershey (Harrisburg Area)? Share your experiences!