“So incredibly disappointed. Massage experience actually left bruises!!!”

Felicita Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Two girlfriends and I wanted to meet 1/2 between Ohio and MA to celebrate a birthday milestone and enjoy some time away from our busy stressful lives. We all work FT and manage businesses. We booked our room (5 months ahead) and spa services (2 months) well in advance, however they 'lost" our spa service reservations for the 1st day we were there and had to reschedule us for an appointment 3 hrs later. Then we had to wait between services b/c they had double booked other clients. Our pedicure were fine-- nothing special, but nice enough staff. An inconvenience but workable.

The night we ate at the Tavern (at the recommendation of the front desk over the Grille), we were informed there was no cocktail or wine lists and they only served Woodbridge wines. Disappointing.... food was ok- very quiet atmosphere but truly disengaged boring service. Thank heavens for the coupon we could use for $10 off each dinner- made it more bearable.

Our room was clean, but fridge didnt work properly and we didnt have enough towels. And the a/c unit was extremely loud when it turned on and off every few minutes-- making it difficult to sleep.

The continental breakfast was fair at best-- cold cereal, pre-packaged muffins and bagels and some juices. Coffee was available 2 out of 3 mornings. Out of luck on the 3rd. And even though there were "please observe our whisper policy" signs posted throughout the area, it was quite loud and no attempt was made to enforce the quiet policy.

The kicker to our weekend, was a massage one of us received! She had requested a "therapeutic massage" for 90 mins.She ended up with bruises all along her lower back area from incorrect technique. No one should ever walk away with ~~bruisies~~.Horrible purple yellow bruises-- we took pics and also physically showed staff the damage. When this situation was brought to Mgmt's attention, it was dismissed and we were left waiting for a resolution for over 2 hours! No one knew what to do except give her ice packs.(One mgr Lauren seemed to understand our frustration and tried to assist) But no offers of apologies, concessions, from the spa assistant or mgr. Since this was completely unacceptable, I contacted the GM via email (I was told he wasnt available via phone) and was informed "there was nothing he could do." but he'd look into it. Great-- but that does absolutely nothing for us! Its more than 36 hrs later and there has been no attempt to contact us to resolve the issue. Truly a poorly run organization with no member of Mgmt empowered to take control and act in the guest's best interest. Customer Service 101.

My friends and I travel regularly, domestically and internationally.We have large networks and will be sure to share our horrendous experience at Felicita with our family, friends and colleagues. I am DISGUSTED!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank KCM_1970

Reviewed 24 May 2010

My fiance and I were recently in a wedding that was held at Felicita. We were given the option to stay in the Lodges or in the Inn. Because the Inn was $30/night cheaper, we chose to stay there. I felt like I was staying in my grandmother's basement. It wasn't that the rooms were bad, but they were a little weird and could use some updating or maintenance. The small window looked out onto the roof and the rear of the facade of the building and there was no view of anything. Also, the AC unit rattled all night.

The Italian Garden, where the wedding was held, was beautiful and very well kept. We walked around and saw some of the other areas and some looked nice while others appeared neglected.

During the day of the wedding, I made a point to introduce myself to all the catering staff and told them if there were any problems or questions, please ask me and don't bother the bride and groom. They all agreed and everything seemed to be going smoothly.

However, once we arrived at the reception and the meal was beginning to be served, the head waiter approached me for a conversation. I had been carrying a flask with me, as is very common for a groomsman to do, and sat it on the table. This was the first time since before the wedding it had been out of my pocket. He informed me that if the flask contained alcohol it would be illegal and he would have to confiscate it. Being from out of state and unfamiliar with local laws (and in PA they seem to be strict anyway) I told him I would gladly put it away and he wouldn't see it again. He said that would be fine and walked away. I thought this a little odd but shrugged it off.

Later, while he was going from table to table managing when people got up to visit the buffet (which does make sense) he made it obvious that he skipped our table. He then went to every other table before making his way over to ours and making a comment about how 'someone' (meaning me) was ignoring him. He walked away for several minutes and then returned to 'allow' us to eat. Everyone at our table was very upset but we all agreed to let it go and not let it become an issue that might cast a shadow over the event.

Once the evening was winding down, while I was talking to the groom, the head waiter approached us and put his arms around us saying that he needed to talk to the groom about me because I was causing trouble and he was just trying to joke around. He said this in a joking manner but it was uncalled for (especially after everything else) and over the line.

All the rest of the waiters and bartenders were great and provided professional, courteous and timely service throughout the evening and were a pleasure to be served by.

I will never go to Felicita Resort again, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ollie-norfolk
FelicitaMgr, Manager at Felicita Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2011

Thank you for reviewing Felicita. As a manager, I really appreciate your honesty. Our Italian Gardens are BEAUTIFUL, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed them as well.

I'm sorry to hear your complaints about our waitstaff. I would hope we could make it up to you, and would love to have you back again.

Reviewed 20 April 2010

I stayed at Felicita several weekends ago with my husband on a weekend getaway. I must say that is was one of the best weekends away that we've ever spent! The food was fantastic - 5 courses for $30. You can't beat it!
My husband played a round of golf and while the course had just been opened, it was still in excellent condition. I enjoyed the cart ride while he played.
We then went to the spa. The service was great and you can't beat the price. And you've got to take a walk through the gardens. You won't believe it until you see it!

It was the best bang for our buck! We will be coming again!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I recently moved to the Harrisburg area and had 2 friends visit for a girl's weekend. We went to dinner Friday night (not at Felicita) and had spa services scheduled for Saturday afternoon. We did not stay at the resort or eat at the resort so I can only comment on the Spa at Felicita. It is a very rustic building that looks a little dated on the outside but I figured it must be better inside where the actual spa services are done. Wrong. The reception area is not warm or welcoming at all and it has a very "musty" or "old" smell (this smell is throughout the building--the robes they gave us even had the same smell). The ladies at the front desk were not warm or friendly. We had to walk through the fitness room to the "locker room" to get changed. The locker room was very small with concrete floors, a bench and 2 rows of metal lockers. No private changing area. We felt like we were at the YMCA. We almost left but were talked into staying by some women who insisted that if we could get past the fact that it wan not a "foo-foo" spa we would be pleased with our services. Lets just say the services were not the worst part of the experience. We each had massages and pedicures scheduled and were supposed to have our pedicures together but they scheduled one of my friends for a pedicure first and massage second while 2 of us had our massage first and pedicures second so the three of us were not together for any of it. While waiting to pay we had to listen to one of the front desk girls argue with a customer who said she was overcharged for her services. All in all it totally ruined our girl's weekend. I will not be going back or recommending it to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank kat492
Reviewed 24 February 2010

This resort - I say resort loosely - could be a wonderful destination if someone would just put a little effort into it. After staying at several spa resorts I've come to expect certain things, mainly clean & warm rooms devoid of bugs; and pleasant and helpful staff. After finally securing our treatments - (waiting for callbacks and having a treatment scheduled that they ended up not being able to do, and a room that mysteriously disappeared), we showed up on the first day of our stay. Upon entering our room we noticed that it was almost as cold inside as it was outside - tip #1 - turn the heater on if you have guests coming to stay - tip #2 - clean up the dead bugs hanging on the walls and furniture. We then proceeded to our treatments. While our massages were fine, there could have been a little more ambience involved - better music, darker rooms, and aromatherapy. Also, on an all-inclusive package, please make it clear whether or not there should be any tipping. Some resorts do not include this, some do - however hearing that it is included but it is really not that much is not what a guest wants to hear - you are then taking their relaxing weekend and making it stressful because they don't know whether or not they should tip. After our decent massages we went back to get ready for dinner - we had to leave our water running for 10 minutes to get it heated up - what a waste of water! Now for dinner - the food was excellent!!! I truly mean that, however; here were the downfalls - with a dining room semi-full it took us 35 minutes to get our appetizer - that is unacceptable - my appetizer was extremely hot and my husband’s was lukewarm - our salads were delicious as were our soups - though they were not hot at all - soups should always be served hot, not lukewarm - same for our dinner - they were just warm - it seems that everything sat too long before being served. The desserts were fabulous. I think if they would incorporate one food-runner for the tables (maybe the hostess, as they were not that busy) then we & other patrons would have been served hot food. Overall though, the food was very good. Now for sleeping - we had lumpy pillows and a so-so bed. I did not sleep well because of the very loud heater that is attached to the wall - it blew chilly air all night - no matter how many times I tried to adjust the controls – it was chilly. The next morning we went for our continental breakfast – Almost everything was gone at 10:00, when breakfast went to 11:00. Again, not acceptable - a guest should not have to ask for butter, or hot water, or coffee – most of these things were missing or empty. When I asked for an item, I was met with a look of ‘please don’t bother me’, very uncomfortable. Also, something needs to be done regarding having spa guests and overnight guests milling around the same area. If you are in a robe and slippers you do not want people fully clothed eating beside you – it is very uncomfortable and not relaxing at all. I truly don’t know if I would venture back here, though I would like to see the gardens in the summer. I hate to be critical, but I do hope that someone in management actually reviews these reviews. If they do this is what they need to work on to be able to really call themselves a spa resort: separate spaces for spa & hotel guests to lounge, a center fireplace where all spa guests can relax, a spa representative to ask if they could get me a bottle of water or tea or even let us know that it is available. You should not be serving water from a pitcher – not very spa-like, a clearer idea on tipping, clean & warm rooms, faster and more temperature accurate meals, and a pleasant and knowledgeable staff. Remember, those who employ, who are taking the reservations, checking in/out and dealing with your guests represent your facility. That is where our first impression comes from, and whether the word-of-mouth reviews a guest shares after they leave will be good or bad.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank loves-to-spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisburg
11.5 km away
#8 of 25 in Hershey
11.7 km away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Hershey
11.5 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg Northeast (Hershey)
13.9 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Harrisburg East
13.7 km away
Homewood Suites Harrisburg East-Hershey Area

Been to Felicita Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!