See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 September 2009

My husband and I booked reservations with the Felicita Spa for our anniversary. We chose a Thursday afternoon, thinking it would be quieter. We both took off work, traveled to Felicita and found the spa receptionist making dinner plans for herself on the phone. After waiting 5 minutes we told her we were there for our appointments and she said, "Are you serious?" She told us they had no reservations for that day, and there was nothing she could do. She found no record of us in the computer, but made no effort at all to correct the situation. She took our number and told us the manager would call. So we were turned away. The manager called and offered us a free lunch with our services when we rescheduled them. Needless to say, we never did . . . so we had a wasted day that we took off of work, got no spa treatments and no apology from anyone at Felicita . . . not once.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank beachcomber083
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I scheduled a day of pampering for myself, booking a massage, facial, and a manicure. When I arrived, I filled out all of my paperwork and was shown into the locker room to change. They then told me that I could wait in the spa lounge until someone called for me. They told me to enjoy the complimentary coffee and juices. It didn't take long to find out that the complimentary coffee and juices were with the continental breakfast for all resort guests. So, as I was trying to relax (in my robe) children were coming in and out along with many other guests talking very loudly. Not relaxing at all. I waited for approximately 1/2 hr to 45 minutes for someone to come take me to my appointments. Finally the Manager showed up and explained that unfortunately they may not be able to do the facial and manicure, but could offer other services, such as reflexology. I said that if I couldn't get the services that I wanted, I didn't want anything at all. She said that I could go ahead into my massage and she would give me a better idea whether I could have the services done afterwards. My massage was done by a girl that was very nervous, to the point she was shaking. She was nice and I sympathized with her. The spa itself was very cold. I had goosebumps the entire time I was getting my massage. Not only that, I could not relax, because I was furious that I may not be getting the day of pampering that I was so looking forward to. When the massage was over, the manager said that they could do the Manicure, but not the facial. She then tried to force a pedicure or reflexology on me. As I had just received a pedicure the weekend before, I did not need one, so I told her that I didn't want anything else. I found out later that the same girl that did my manicure was scheduled to do my facial and massage, but she does not do facials. I am appalled at how disorganized this facility is. They are not even aware who does what in this place. There wasn't even a person working that day that knew how to do a facial. After my services were over, I could not wait to leave this place. It had me so stressed out. I then had to wait for at least 5 minutes for the receptionist to return to her desk to check me out. I was infuriated.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank blanquita79
Reviewed 2 July 2009

This was a very convenient location for a last minute drive from home, to an overnight getaway. I could best sum it up by saying there was nothing wrong with the place overall--but not really anything right either. It truly seems that the owners' main "thing" is not actually resort hospitality--but their gardens just grew so magnificent they half-heartedly thought they'd create a resort around them. I would not normally rave about gardens--but they are truly beautiful. We had no high expectations--and no reservations--so we really weren't disappointed but I doubt we'd go back. Since we went during golf season, we did have a place onsite (well across the street, a mile away from our room maybe?) to eat all 3 meals--the golf clubhouse. That was very convenient. It seemed that several of the staff members were very hard working people who wore many hats. We kept thinking what a shame it is that the property didn't seem to have a real presence by a hospitality professional. I didn't know it was possible to have a bad massage--but i truly had one here! I doubt anyone will see the spa facilities and think it's anything but makeshift either. If you are going expecting luxury and pampering I"d possibly rethink your plans. It was an interesting enough, casual diversion for one night for us. There does not seem to be a front desk presence much of the time, and the resort itself is not very cohesive--or adjoined like with a lobby for instance. Our room seemed to be older than it says they are--and had a very "poconos practical" feel. We had a much more impressive stay at Bedford Springs--also in PA.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2009

We stayed there for 4 nights the first week in June. My wife enjoyed the spa and commented on it being the best she had ever used. I enjoyed the golf course and fitness center (the best of any place I have ever stayed) and we both enjoyed the gardens and the restaurant. The food and service were the best we have experienced in quite some time. We will definitely return even though it is a long way for us to go from Florida.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I am considering returning to Felicita a quaint spa mostly because of the staff and an atmosphere of unhurried leisure despite numerous facility and staff quirks. It is a 3.5 hour drive from my home along major highways. The last 5 miles is on a winding narrow country road in a sparsely residential, mostly forested, area.

Let me say that it was not easy making the arrangements to visit Felicita. My initial call was answered by a friendly voice after a long wait through their automated phone system. After being told that there were vacancies, I checked with my wife and called back to make a reservation. One call was picked up and left hanging. Several other calls left me in a phone loop where the only escape was to leave a message. It was answered two days later. I later learned that the front office was abandoned for the holidays and that the front office staff sometimes supplements the cleaning and facilities staff.

The callback I received caught me at the wrong time, leaving me a friendly message. The following week, I tried again. Nothing much was said to convince me that this facility was anything I would enjoy, but the voice was warm and friendly, so my wife and I decided to try the facility anyway. After finally making reservations, we were told that we would be contacted to determine which services we wanted and schedule times for them. This required another follow-up call from me to get someone to call back and get us listed for the services and times we wanted.

This was my first time at a sleep-over spa resort. I wasn't sure what they really meant by a continental breakfast. I wasn't sure what kind of sleeping accommodations we would get. I wasn't even sure what some of their services really were or what they would cost. The friendly voice, packaged price, and a desire to get away with the wife, convinced us to take the chance. At the very worst we would have an experience that would last a long time in stories my wife would tell.

Our room was spacious and overlooked the property and surrounding area. Its location in a building high on the side of a mountain provided a great view of natural beauty enhanced by the rising and setting of the sun against a clear blue sky. The floor to ceiling glass that kept the December cold air outside had shades that were never closed. There was no one to look in and the sight looking out was too soothing to barricade with closed window shades.

Our room had quirks. The double doors that connected to an adjacent room seemed to amplify noises from there so much so that when a person sneezed in one room, the other room replied with a “god bless you” that was answered by a “thank you” from the first room. Heating was adequate but noisy as the rushing noise of an air jet stream came out of a unit by the wall intermittently. While the rushing air was noisy, it was at some level also soothing. Surprisingly, it did not disturb our sleep, but it did keep us from hearing the TV when it came on every 10 to 15 minutes. The bathroom was spacious and clean with a heating element that kept it at a comfortable temperature. Closing the door to the bathroom, while easy for me, was hard for my wife. The door was falling off its hinges and required lifting to close. A sign in the bathroom instructed us to leave used towels on the floor as an indication that they would be replaced by staff each morning. After use, we placed our towels on the floor as instructed. Linen replacement and cleaning did not occur during the three days we were there. But as I mentioned before, in the unhurried leisure of the place we kept forgetting to mention it to the staff.

In our many travels, Continental breakfasts have varied greatly. Most provide coffee, juice, cake and cold cereal. Some even provide a microwave and pre-packaged hot meals. Our first Continental breakfast was bare bones with no thought as to health benefits. They were high in everything that is bad for you, while not especially tasteful. That was odd considering where we were. The staff was exceedingly nice in getting one item after another. There was no hot water in the hot water carafe. Then there was no Coffee in the coffee carafe. We had to ask for 2% milk instead of the half-and-half originally placed for our use. They did have some sealed bagels and cream cheese, and the toaster was operational. There were no cold cereals or a microwave for warm ones. In the unhurried leisure of the place we never asked about a nearby location for breakfast. On our second morning, expecting the same as our first, we were determined to find a nearby place to eat breakfast. In passing through the “breakfast area” towards our car we noticed that cold cereals and milk were now available. None the less we opted for a nearby (13 miles) place to eat.

Two five course dinners, ½ mile down the road were included in the package. Although the portions were small, the overall affect was satisfying and filling. But the service was slow and unhurried. Luckily we had enough to talk about so that two and half hours passed effortlessly. Taking the brave route, we decided to walk down the hill to the dinning hall the first night. It was dark when we started out and were lucky that the road was mostly lit. There was a section though, around the bend, that was not lit. Again we were lucky. I carried a flashlight in case, but more importantly there was a bright moon in a cloudless sky. Stirrings from the surrounding forest kept my wife close at hand. How often does a man get the chance to walk in the moonlight with his wife? The walk back up the road was a welcome relief from the mundane lifestyle we had till then. My wife was panting by the time we made it halfway back up the hill. I had warmed up by the time we reached the facility. We took the car the second night. Dinner the second night was the same as the first, except for the service which was much slower than the first night. Our first course came 45 minutes after sitting down.

Both my wife and I are generally talkative and like mingling with people. It seemed to me that conversation with others makes for a more interesting experience. When we entered the dining hall there were a few couples who sat and quietly looked at each other. I was about to invite another couple to sit with us when my wife suggested that they probably wanted privacy. My European background may have accounted for the difference in “respecting other’s privacy.” The following morning we met the same couple at breakfast and my wife took the initiative to invite them to sit with us. It was a pleasant and interesting two hours.

At the spa they have what are called services. They include such things as messages, specialty baths, etc. Included in the package were two baths and two hot rock messages. My wife got into one bath while I got into another. Twenty minutes later we finished and then I began to tell her my story. The baths in small bathtub rooms are accompanied by soothing music that lets your mind relax and seek another realm of consciousness. But the music in my room was drowned out by vibrations coming from one of the walls and loud concrete sounding footsteps from the ceiling above. I only realized the music about halfway through the service. Still, in the unhurried leisure of the place, I wasn't really bothered by it. But later when asked by the staff how I felt, I mentioned the noise and as a result got another bath for my wife and myself, as a freebee.

The second therapeutic bath came in the morning on the third day of our stay. This time, my wife had a story to tell. The water in her bath was so hot that 5 minutes of adding cold water were not enough to cool it down to a comfortable temperature. When she finally made it in to the water, there was no essence. It then occurred to me that my bath was supposed to be the same as the first one. It was not, and it too did not have any essence.

December in them thar hills is cold, but we were lucky. There was no snow on the ground and the cold was not that cold. Besides, the sun shined in cloudless days, and it kept us warm.

There is not much to be said about the messages. The hot stone message was a bit daunting at first. Neither of us could figure out what a “hot stone” message was. We were told by the staff that hot stones were placed at various points on the body and then gently moved around to create a soothing sensation. That turned out to be true in my wife’s case. The hour long message was soothing though she saw no benefit to the stones. She relaxed and let the attendant do her work. My case was different. After a while when the heat of the stones dissipated through my body they were completely removed and the masseuse began hand messaging my entire backside and legs. I had a great time with a very conversational masseuse while my wife said almost nothing with hers. I was surprised that the hour had passed so quickly. We were both relaxed and pleased with our experiences.

We paid for two additional hour long messages. I had a great time with another very conversational masseuse while my wife said almost nothing with hers. I was surprised that the hour plus had passed so quickly. My wife was a bit envious that her message started after mine and ended before me. Still, we were both relaxed and pleased with our experiences.

In this environment when getting ready for a service the facility provides a gown and synthetic slippers to change into. I remember as a child being taught that there is a difference between left and right foot shoes. My wife was satisfied with her change, but I looked awkward walking about in two obviously left foot slippers. Again, the staff responded in the nicest of ways and found correct replacements for my normal feet.

The facility had a hot tub. It seemed as though only two of the jet streams worked, but it was soothing.

We walked the grounds one morning to find it bereft of greenery. That was normal considering the time of year. But what there was gave promise that the gardens, fountains, and other areas of the grounds would be a beautiful place to stay during “the season.”

In conclusion, all I can say is that it is a place to stay and relax as long as you can accept that not everything is done in a timely or exacting manner. The staff, while not very disciplined, are what makes this place worthwhile. In the end, there is nothing you can do but relax.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)