“Amazing”

Felicita Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I've been to Felicita each year for the past five years for an early spring/late winter girls weekend. We absolutely love it there. It's quiet, comfortable, relaxing and has a casual kind of feel.

The staff is professional, friendly and accomodating. They have always worked hard to ensure our stay is enjoyable.

The rooms are very spacious, comfortable and clean with a California Mission Style decor.

The packages we purchase normally include dinner at the Tavern Steakhouse. The food at the Tavern is excellent. Everything we've ever eaten there, from the soup starter to the dessert has been extraordinary. The service is very good.

We will certainly go back next year and hopefully sooner to experience the gardens in full bloom.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michelle M
Felicita2010, General Manager at Felicita Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

You have simply summarized us into a few lines. Quiet, comfortable, relaxing, a casual kind of feel. Yes, that is us. We hope to see you back this summer to see the gardens. If I might suggest the best time being late May to early June. The gardens are ripe during those 4 weeks.

Hope to see you soon,

Reviewed 2 April 2012

A group of us girls have been going to Felicita once a year for about 5 years now. Our husbands treat us with a package at Christmas every year. We drive from Baltimore, get pampered, have dinner, and stay the night. We have never had a bad experience at Felicita! We love the fact that it is not "glitz and glamour." It is very down to earth, cozy, and comfortable, with a lodgey kinda feel. You are nestled in the woods on a mountain, I can't imagine anything better. I 've loved it so much over the years that when my husband and I had tickets over the summer of 2011 for a concert in Hershey we chose to stayed at Felicita and drive 30 minutes to the show rather than staying somewhere closer. He loved the golf course! We both loved the gardens! My girlfriends and I usually go up in late winter or early spring before the gardens bloom, so the gardens were a wonderful treat to walk through. Absolutely breathtaking to say the least.
The staff leave you alone unless you need them. I am shocked at some of the negative reviews since that has not been our experience. Especially, that the food was just mediocre.The food at the Tavern has always been exquisite. We look forward to the meal every year. It must be memorable considering we often talk about past meals that we have had there. For instance, " Oh, I hope they have the pumpkin bisque again this year," or "I can't wait to have the caramel walnut sundae for dessert." This year, (we just got back today) my friend could not stop talking about the almond crusted chicken she ordered last night. It got to the point where we were laughing at her b/c she couldn't stop repeating herself, "Oh my God, this chicken is so good!" and "I'm so glad I ordered this!" The rest of us were happy with our meals as well. The chili and the Italian wedding soup were to die for.
The spa services have always been wonderful. You can not beat the package deals. My one girlfriend swears by her massage therapist Todd and the other friend swears by Sue. I usually don't request anyone, I let them surprise me.
We feel like the rooms in the lodge and spa are always clean. They are replacing the older robes with new ones. This made us happy b/c the older ones were a little thin and you could sometimes see if someone was wearing dark underwear. Again, not that big of a deal but happy they have replaced them with thicker robes. The bathrooms are roomy and the water is HOT and the pressure is great. They are all tiled with very nice terra gotta tiles. As far as updating, I think the decor is fairly neutral. It is expensive to renovate all the time. As many have stated, the place isn't booming, which is part of the appeal, so I doubt there is a ton of $ for remodeling. I disagree with the statement of another reviewer that the mattress' are dated. I have always slept like a baby in the lodge. The beds are far more comfortable than my bed at home, sad but true. Yes, I will admit that every year a couple of stink bugs get in the room but I don't find this to be that big of a deal. It is far from an infestation, that is just an exaggeration. I mean, we are in the woods people! If you don't like the woods then try someplace else. We all know how difficult stinkbugs are to control. I'm from Baltimore, so, I crave being in the woods. I can get glitz and glam anywhere, I want to be nestled and surrounded by nature, that's just who I am. I think the idea behind Felicita is simplistic and minimalistic and I like that! Felicita is perfect the way it is- I wouldn't change a thing! Felicita is one of the hardest places I've ever had to leave.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dawn M

I am sorry you had to leave. But I do very much appreciate your positive comments! You are right on with your descriptions, simplistic, minimalistic and down-to-earth. That is us ... not glitz and glam.
Thank you for mentioning the service received by Todd and Sue. I am sure they will be happy to hear your friends appreciated their efforts.
All I can say about not leaving is ... next time stay a little longer.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 22 February 2012

I decided to surprise my husband with a package deal from Felicita for Valentine's Day. I had priced out massages and hotel stays at several other locations in Baltimore and Washington DC before arriving to Felicita.
I am glad that I did.
The accomodations, coupled with massages for both (and foot refloxology, which we would have never thought to try- let alone pay for) and dinner was a complete relaxing and invigorating experience. We would like to do it again!
The lodges/villas were clean and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. From the first phone call right up until the end, the service was superior.
Dinner at the restaurant was only pretty good but again the service was outstanding. Although I didn't care for the crab-topping on top of the Orange Roughy, I thought the fish was still good. My husband ordered a steak and said it was only average. We ordered too much (and the pretzel chicken appetizer was a waste) but our server wrapped up desserts for us. All in all- a lovely and romantic atmosphere with only average food. Still, we will give it a try again. Tomato Bisque soup was awesome!
We decided that this locale in the mountains will be a perfect go-to spot in the fall again when the trees/leaves are changing.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mdbirdlover

We are so glad you spent Valentine's Day with us. We hope to see you in the Fall for another getaway. As you can imagine, the Fall foliage makes us the perfect go-to-spot.

As always, looking forward to seeing you again,

Felicita Mountain Resort and Spa

Reviewed 4 January 2012

My fiance and I wanted to get away and spend a quiet evening together in addtition to having a good dinner. We decided to go with the New Years Eve package at Felicita, well needless to say we should have saved our money. Our room had stinkbugs in it, a light was out that was eventually fixed, the ac/heater was loud and are door was really hard to lock. We then attended the Caberet at the Tavern which was not even full. The service was the worst we have ever had especially since this is a resort, the food was terrible, and we had to wait forever for butter. We left after dinner and informed the waitress that we would be back before 12am. When we returned we were not offered a glass of water or a chance to buy wine or champagne for a toast at midnight. This was disturbing since we had bought a bottle of wine earlier in addition to an appetizer. We get better service when we go to Chili's and other establishments including hotels/motels. We planned on mentioning this to our friends and we will be advising them to chose somewhere else. We were even told we would be called about this and have not beee called. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I have no suggestions, my only suggestion would be save your time and money and go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank h b
Felicita2010, General Manager at Felicita Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Felicita is in the center of nature, nestled amongst a beautiful mountainside setting. Most Felicita guests come to experience nature, as well as, our many amenities. Unfortunately, to get this experience, insects, such as, the non-native Stink Bug, are our neighbors ... hardly an infestation as I have seen it described. While we do some preventative controls, we hardly feel comfortable using excesive chemicals, especially in the rooms where you stay. Trust me, Stink Bugs are ugly and have a bad reputation, but they are harmless. The chemicals are much worse for you than the insect itself.

You stayed in January, when it is not effective to apply controls. They were just looking for a warm place, just like you.

Thank you for contributing to Trip Advisor.

Ryan Longenecker, General Manager

Reviewed 11 October 2011

I was there from a Friday morning through a Sunday morning for a wedding.

The good: As others have said, the gardens are indeed lovely. I can see why the couple chose them as the setting for the wedding, and the wedding party said they were very pleased with the attention they got from the staff for that. There was a breakfast at the golf club for wedding guests the morning after the wedding, and the staff there were very attentive too.

Unfortunately, that level of attention doesn't seem to carry throughout the resort. We never got any sort of housekeeping service, despite being sure to put the "service please" card on the door and being out of the room in the morning, as the guest info book advised (apparently they only do housekeeping until noon?). No one ever came to the room while we were in it, and there was no evidence of anyone being there while we were out. Bed never got made, towels and toiletries weren't replaced, nothing.

The buildings are old, and I add my review to those mentioning a musty smell. We had to keep the air conditioning going nonstop to deal with the mustiness, and yes, the a/c is very old and very loud. Several guests had problems with no hot water, nonfunctioning toilets, etc.

Continental breakfast could have been better--baked goods were stale (or perhaps not fully thawed?) and the milk was room temperature. Cereal, yogurt, and breakfast bars were fine--it'd be hard to mess that up, though.

At the wedding reception, I heard a lot of guests wondering whether the alcohol available was watered--apparently those who were drinking beverages from the bar felt no effects. The "champagne" seemed closer to white grape juice; it was syrupy and had no carbonation. Wine "service" amounted to a single, meager pour each and no opportunity for a second glass. Wait staff were very young and inexperienced.

The final, huge issue seems to be one that the resort couldn't control: a massive infestation of stinkbugs. They were absolutely everywhere.

Overall, the resort has a very pretty location, but the location can't make up for the shortcomings. I hope the resort has a massive renovation planned soon; I can't see going back there without that.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank kjbxyz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisburg
11.5 km away
#8 of 25 in Hershey
11.7 km away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Hershey
11.5 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg Northeast (Hershey)
13.9 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Harrisburg East
13.7 km away
Homewood Suites Harrisburg East-Hershey Area

Been to Felicita Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!